Massive blast in Beirut

Soldato
Estimate based on scale of the explosion compared to known TNT equivalent ones.

Is an 18t equiv. explosion really enough to blow out windows at 4km? The idea of 'apocalyptic ruin' with buildings losing 'some or all' of their windows that far away seems like a description of something bigger but maybe i'm just that far out of touch with the effects created at those sort of numbers

Permabanned
Christ that’s some blast, the footage of it is bleak to say the least. Fireworks factory, viable for an explosion that large? Hard to believe but I’m no fireworks expert.
fireworks or munitions you would have had more smaller explosions ..
you can see whats left of the grain silo ..

fire causes first explosion then the dust catches and everything else go's boom ..

Man of Honour
Is an 18t equiv. explosion really enough to blow out windows at 4km? The idea of 'apocalyptic ruin' with buildings losing 'some or all' of their windows that far away seems like a description of something bigger but maybe i'm just that far out of touch with the effects created at those sort of numbers

Will depend a lot on what the explosive mixture was and speed of the pressure wave - Tianjin blew out windows at 2km. Looked like this one had a defined supersonic over-pressurization (hence the double boom).

Man of Honour
Some of the Twitter accounts showing a lot of bodies in amongst the debris. :(

Yeah can't link to it here but seen a video with dozens of seriously injured people in a market place type environment - many of them are almost certainly fatally wounded especially without immediate intensive medical care.

Back
Top Bottom