• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Not that a CPU actually called "Skylake" would work on anything other than Z170...
It was a choise, technically there is nothing that should prevent skylake running on z490.
Arbitrary socket changes and bios limitations.

Still amazed how AMD made AM4 last from Excavator to Zen, to Zen 2 and 3 with chiplets. And A320 board could run latest top 3950X.
Brilliant engineers.

Soldato
When I upgraded this year, from an i7 3930k, I specifically bought a decent x570 at the expense of a "lesser" CPU in the 3600. The reason is that I wanted a decent stop gap CPU until the 4000 series drops and I'll get a 12 core CPU, to last me years.

You'll find as you get older, you start not caring about max pc performance and more value for money aspect. I was the "must get the latest" fanboi for years, then I wised the **** up and realised it's a waste of cash buying a new rig every release. Who cares what someone has in their Sig on a forum, as that forum sig epeen is apparently important to some lol.
You just have to look at the naff roll of honour threads in the gpu section lol.

Bottom line is that although this is the last am4 launch, it'll do many just fine, for years to come.

Associate
When I upgraded this year, from an i7 3930k, I specifically bought a decent x570 at the expense of a "lesser" CPU in the 3600. The reason is that I wanted a decent stop gap CPU until the 4000 series drops and I'll get a 12 core CPU, to last me years.

You'll find as you get older, you start not caring about max pc performance and more value for money aspect. I was the "must get the latest" fanboi for years, then I wised the *** up.

Bottom line is that although this is the last am4 launch, it'll do many just fine, for years to come.

+1

Man of Honour

You'll find as you get older, you start not caring about max pc performance and more value for money aspect. I was the "must get the latest" fanboi for years, then I wised the **** up and realised it's a waste of cash buying a new rig every release. Who cares what someone has in their Sig on a forum, as that forum sig epeen is apparently important to some lol.
You just have to look at the naff roll of honour threads in the gpu section lol.

I went from a 1090T to a threadripper 1950x that I have now had for 3 years and that I expect that to last me at least another good few years. I have literally owned about 3 cpu's in the last 15 years or more, I upgrade GPU's more frequently but these days I have little to no interest with fiddling with stuff to get it to work. I don't want to overclock it, I don't want hours of messing around finding stability. I just want to plug it in and for it to work.

Caporegime

I think that’s a bit harsh on the roll of honour threads, sometimes it’s just nice to share details of your new purchase and collect feedback from fellow owners. It’s not always a dick waving contest.

Associate
I'm on a 3700X but I'm looking forward to the 4XXX CPUs. If they really have sorted out their latency issues, then Intels failure will be complete "Vaders voice" and AMD will reign supreme in all areas. Gaming is the only crown that Intel still holds - I don't think it will for much longer.

Associate
I don't think Zen3 is supposed to solve latency issues. Improve a bit maybe, with new IO die, more unified L3, possibly higher IF clock speed limit. But issues will remain, inherent to chiplet design

Soldato
I think that’s a bit harsh on the roll of honour threads, sometimes it’s just nice to share details of your new purchase and collect feedback from fellow owners. It’s not always a dick waving contest.

Why not call it "Owners Club" or something, it's the naming of it, "Roll of Honour" that's naff. What's honourable about buying some tech? It's a personal thing for me, to me a Roll of Honour is something special like for the war dead or something amazing, not for buying a new graphics card. Like I said, it's just my opinion and people are free to post what they want :)

Edit: Having had another think, the *080Ti threads WERE a dick waving exercise. With people lapping up the *cough* "adulation" *cough* of having bought two for SLI and people asking about benchmarks etc. "Oh I bought from two different places to make sure I got one, now I've two, I think I'll just keep both" etc

Soldato
I don't think Zen3 is supposed to solve latency issues. Improve a bit maybe, with new IO die, more unified L3, possibly higher IF clock speed limit. But issues will remain, inherent to chiplet design
Changing to a single 8-core CCX very much solves latency issues. The latency from jumping between the pair of 4-core CCX on the chiplet is eliminated. Take a look at the benchmarks for the 3300X to see the benefit that brings in gaming.

Hell, that latency removal alone is likely to be enough to remove, if not surpass, Intel's fractional gaming performance lead.

Soldato
Changing to a single 8-core CCX very much solves latency issues. The latency from jumping between the pair of 4-core CCX on the chiplet is eliminated. Take a look at the benchmarks for the 3300X to see the benefit that brings in gaming.

Hell, that latency removal alone is likely to be enough to remove, if not surpass, Intel's fractional gaming performance lead.

That's a good point and very true too.

Soldato

Which means the 8 core chip will perform better than the 12+ core chips of the new ones right? Not sure if it works that way, but yes i will be swapping my 3700x for a new chip as well as i imagine it might help a lot with the new GPUs coming.

Wonder when we can expect benchmarks to leak, surprised we haven't had anything at all yet.

Soldato
I don't think Zen3 is supposed to solve latency issues.

What an odd thing to say, I am pretty sure that AMD will have targeted improvements from may angles to ensure an good uplift in performance, and they know that latency is an easy win, with a better CCD/CCX design, faster IF clock, and maybe even a smaller and more efficient I/O design, all of which will reduce the latency, and show an overall improvement in performance.

Associate
What an odd thing to say, I am pretty sure that AMD will have targeted improvements from may angles to ensure an good uplift in performance, and they know that latency is an easy win, with a better CCD/CCX design, faster IF clock, and maybe even a smaller and more efficient I/O design, all of which will reduce the latency, and show an overall improvement in performance.
Should have emphasised solve
Improve, reduce latency yes, but not solve enough to match Skylake.

Soldato
Which means the 8 core chip will perform better than the 12+ core chips of the new ones right?
In certain workloads theoretically yes, but it's likely to be something only synthetics can see. In the real world probably not.

If you have a multi-threaded workload that can scale past 8 cores then the increase in performance from utilising those cores will probably offset any latency penalty from having to jump between chiplets. But certainly with Zen 3, an 8 core workload confined to 1 chiplet won't have the same latency penalty as an 8 core workload spanning 2 chiplets.

I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Soldato
Choo Choo..........
That's not really hype train. AMD have said from the beginning they fully intend to up core counts. Genoa is perfectly logical and expected. Not sure about 32 cores on mainstream desktop though, that seems a bit too much too soon. That's also doubling core counts on the chiplets (and there's no reason to think Zen 4 is moving back to monolithic designs) which seems a bit too much for 5nm, as well as 16c CCX so they don't regress latency. Then again the Zen 2 chiplets are pretty small inside a Matisse package, so there's room to grow them a little to allow for doubling up of cores.

I'm more interested to see if AMD are bringing SMT4 to Zen 4. Can you imagine a 128c/512t 2P Genoa server? Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom