X4 Foundations

Soldato
Whats the best method for destroying Xenon defense stations?, as even with a mixed fleet of 22 destroyers (6 Behemoths, 6 Phoenix Vanguards, & 10 Ody's ) i'm losing ships at a rate i can't sustain.

You only need a few AI destroyers. Literally like 2.

If you can be bothered just pilot a destroyer yourself, sit just out of range of the stations plasma turrets.

Main trick is keeping the K9's off you.

Soldato
Good morning everyone. Ive just started playing this and slowing building a small mining fleet at the moment.

Earlier in the game I did a couple of military missions and now my standing with HOP is bad. Is there anyway I can improve my standing so I can get trading in their sectors?

Associate
I will try but combat isn't my strong suit. I only have the starting ship and 4 mining vessels. Any recommendations for a new ship for me to take them on with?
If you have a military license with the Argon then a Quasar Vanguard with 2x Bolt Repeater and 2x Beam Emitter will tear through any small or medium Xenon ships.
If you don't have any military licenses then a Buzzard Vanguard with Pulse Lasers.

M and N class ships are relatively straight forward to kill, if there's a group of them then you can do fly-by tactics to chip away at them but the ideal thing to do is try to break them up and take them out one by one... you can more or less sit still and kill a M/N class Xenon ship one v one without much trouble.
With P class ships, if you're in a ship with low defence you can fly beneath them as they struggle to line up their turrets in that direction.

Last edited:
Associate
The Quasar should be available if you have the military license with the Argon Federation, it's sold at the Wharf in Argon Prime as a small "Heavy Fighter" class ship.

Got my ships mixed up with the Buzzard, that one's a Teladi military ship.
I was supposed to put the Eclipse as the other Argon Federation option - it has similar firepower to the Quasar but is a little bit slower and less manoeuvrable, but has better hull/shields.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea the Quasar is a decent little ship and one of the few argon ships that doesn't look terrible.

Once you move onto split ships there is no going back though, be interesting to see what the Terran ships are like when they are released.

Associate
Yeah, after getting the Chimera from the Split that pretty much became the only small ship I would fly... it's a total wrecking ball in dog fights against squads of small & medium ships.
I slightly prefer the Paranid's Nemesis Vanguard to the Split's Dragon, only because the way it handles meshes better with me than the Dragon does.

Interested to see what story they bring along with re-introducing the Terrans, really curious if there will be a new Xenon threat.

Soldato
So purchased myself an eclipse with 2 X beam emitters and 2x bolt repeaters. And still getting my backside handed to be by xen raiding party's. Any advise to do better in combat.?

I've a small fleet mining silicon in a couple of different locations. 5 ships in total. What would be a natural path to follow. More miners or expand into something else?

Associate
So purchased myself an eclipse with 2 X beam emitters and 2x bolt repeaters. And still getting my backside handed to be by xen raiding party's. Any advise to do better in combat.?

I've a small fleet mining silicon in a couple of different locations. 5 ships in total. What would be a natural path to follow. More miners or expand into something else?
It might just be a case of practising combat a bit.
The gates on the right side of Haktivah's Choice is often a good place to practice as there's often a steady stream of Xenon ships picking on NPC traders... while most ships keep focus on the NPC ship, you can pull one ship away from the wing.

Here's a quick video showing one of my standard Eclipse loadouts with 2x bolt repeater, 2x pulse laser and a short one v one fight against a Xenon P class ship.

As for what path to follow, it depends on what you enjoy doing.
If you want to continue with industry then building more mining ships and some haulers would be the logical choice until you can afford to start building stations to transition into production.
Building up reputation with the Teladi is a good move for an industry/trade focused game, pay the fee to join up with the Teladi Trade Guild and you'll get a lot of relatively easy missions to pick from like destroying mines, fixing satellites, scanning for ore or scanning ships for a specific resource that quickly raise your reputation with the Teladi.

Permabanned

Haven't played in a while but I went the combat route. I think it's way more lucrative than start up miners and factories.

To begin I just started shooting up split traders around a friendly trade station. Lots of claytronics drops, sold them, rinse repeat. Got bored so went into split space looking for trouble.

Along comes a Dragon and he bails. I take his ship and fit it with 4 bolt and 2 Ion. I go back to previous trading station and start boarding the bigger and faster traders now I have the firepower.

Now with a somewhat formidable fleet, I start defending an ARG sector being gutted by the Paranid. One by one their destroyers are lured away from the main fleet where they are neutralized and boarded by mine. Wound up with 8-9 and an Atlas before I laid down my first factory. Sold a lot more (sell the mods first if they are high grade, then the ship).

It's quite tricky to do, and occasionally a real pain as sometimes the pod launches take forever. But a SETA drive helps a tonne with this.

Don't be deterred though, it's awesome when it works and you pull it off. Got me thinking, it would be cool af if you could board ships as an FPS.

Soldato
I will keep trying combat.

Currently just purchased the Pegasus with the thinking I can outrun stuff whilst I'm exploring for the nest mining locations. One of my regular supply areas seems to have lost all demand so need to find more.

I need to level up my mining ships as at present I can only do sector automine which limits me to sectors with raw materials and refineries.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a bit of randomness due to the placement of stations that makes it hard to suggest places to mine/trade, however I often find that Black Hole Sun is a good plentiful system that gets a good amount of demand. That sector has pretty much always been a profitable mining base in every game I've started so far.

For traders, once you can setup auto-trading (once their piloting skills is high enough), usually it's good to tell them to trade in a system where there is a Wharf or Shipyard since ships will always keep getting produced, so they'll constantly need to pay traders to bring supplies. Especially if you make friends with the HOP faction... since they're in a fairly big war with both ARG and PAR, they build ships like there's no tomorrow.

When I started out, a good type of mission to practice combat with were the ones that said something like "X stole my painting" - quite often the ship they wanted you to hunt down is a hauler with very little firepower so you could spend 5 minutes harassing them while you practice positioning yourself in a ships blind spot to take them down easier.

The Ianamus Zura sector where the Teladi Faction HQ is is good place to practice combat as well, there's almost always a slow trickle of Xenon ships coming through in that sector which the Teladi will send small wings of ships to deal with. You can fight alongside the Teladi ships and then speed off back towards the station if things get too hairy for you.

Soldato
OP
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=429725&p=4976928#p4976928

Gamescon info.

We have all had to adapt our lives to extraordinary circumstances this year, and gamescom, the world's largest event for games, is no different. This year the event will take place in a purely digital form - and we will be there! As an official gamescom partner, EGOSOFT is taking part in the event's programme, but of course there is more to it than that, so here is a brief overview of our planned activities around gamescom 2020:

Unveiling of the second expansion for X4: Foundations
Get ready to hear early details of the second expansion for X4: Foundations. Following the release of X4: Split Vendetta in spring 2020, we will be giving a first insight into the next chapter of our current game at gamescom 2020. Whether you're on Steam, in our forums, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Reddit, keep your eyes peeled to avoid missing anything!

Indie Arena Booth Online
For a number of years now, the Indie Arena Booth (IAB) has been one of the big crowd-pullers at gamescom. Dozens of indie developers from all over the world gather at this large stand, where a carefully-curated selection of games is available to try. Of course, the IAB will not take place in its usual form this year, but you can visit the booth as part of an online game. From the evening of August 27th 2020, you can attend the virtual Indie Arena Booth at www.indiearenabooth.de - we will be there too, with a neat spaceship booth. We look forward to your visit!

Livestream on Friday, August 28th, 2020
The first couple of gamescom days will be rounded off on Friday evening with a livestream on www.twitch.tv/egosoftofficial. Following our usual format, we will give you an insight into current development progress on X4: Foundations, starting at 7pm CEST / 6pm BST / 1pm EDT / 10am PDT. And, of course, we will talk about our plans for the second expansion and the next big update. Join us!

Reddit AMA on Saturday, August 29th, 2020
Working on the assumption that not all your questions will have been answered during the livestream on Friday evening, you will have another opportunity, a day later, to learn more about the current and future development of X4: Foundations. EGOSOFT founder and Lead Game Designer, Bernd Lehahn, will be available to answer questions in a Reddit AMA starting at 9pm CEST / 8pm BST / 3pm EDT / noon PDT. Please keep an eye on our official channels to find a direct link to the AMA on the day. In the meantime we invite you to join our subreddit at /r/X4Foundations.

We hope that there will be something for everyone on these unconventional gamescom days this year. We look forward to interacting with you and will be interested in your reaction to our plans.

See you around at gamescom 2020!

Soldato
I've just started playing this

How do you go about making money in the background if there's no silicon or ore refinerys to be seen anywhere

Best thing to do is play the research mission from the boron up until the point it gives you 200k, use that to buy a better ship.

Then, either run missions or you could go crystal mining which is a little bit cheesy as it's easy money, but hey it's in the game.

Google crystal mining more, but in a nutshell in certain systems you can shoot at asteroids just with any normal gun, and they will drop crystals which you can collect and sell.

Once you have enough money buy auto miners, they are the best at making money at the start. Put those in friendly systems with lots of NPC factories. Until you figure things out, as a rough guide it's best to put your auto miners in systems with as many factories/stations as you can fine, rather than worrying about the quality of the ore itself.

Once you have like 10+ auto miners look into station building, that is where the real money is made but by then you'll have probably learned a lot more and have a better idea in general.

Back
Top Bottom