Work PC & Monitors 1k Budget

Soldato
Hello,

I'm looking to get a new pc for work.

I use it for basic office work e-mails, word etc but i also do some rostering on it, so two screens is a must.

Budget is £1000 and thats including screens, mouse & keyboard preferably wired.

Obviously it must be able to run the two screen easily. Bigger the better.

Thanks

Soldato
So nothing intensive at all then? Are you just after a pre-built rig? Or building a new system? For something so simple could just get a cheap refurb Dell or HP.

How much was you expecting to spend? I imagine the majority of the budget will go on the 2 decent monitors... was you after a particular res? 1080p, 1440p etc...

Soldato
Really need that @Lemin to check emails and plan some rotas? Even the RX580? :p

I'd just spend £300-400 on a decent Dell/HP refurb. Then spend most of my money on 2x decent 1440p or 4k monitors if really need some screen real estate and a comfortable keyboard/mouse. Seeming the monitor/keyb/mouse will be the most important bits that matter as you'll be using day to day.

Soldato
OP
So nothing intensive at all then? Are you just after a pre-built rig? Or building a new system? For something so simple could just get a cheap refurb Dell or HP.

How much was you expecting to spend? I imagine the majority of the budget will go on the 2 decent monitors... was you after a particular res? 1080p, 1440p etc...
Nothing intensive at all. Prebuilt or new it don’t matter as i can make the system myself.

A 1440 27” would be good.

Soldato
Nothing intensive at all. Prebuilt or new it don’t matter as i can make the system myself.

A 1440 27” would be good.

Prebuilt contradicts the fact you want to make the system yourself? :p So you don't want a prebuilt? Lol

Edit: Re-reading... did you mean you're not bothered either or? Think I just misinterpreted you lol. I'd just buy a cheap refurb system, be much cheaper than buying new and building.

Then get 2x Dell U2719D or S2719DM (27" and 1440p) monitors or similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Prebuilt contradicts the fact you want to make the system yourself? :p So you don't want a prebuilt? Lol

Edit: Re-reading... did you mean you're not bothered either or? Think I just misinterpreted you lol. I'd just buy a cheap refurb system, be much cheaper than buying new and building.

Then get 2x Dell U2719D or S2719DM (27" and 1440p) monitors or similar.
Not really bothered about building it myself done plenty before, and to be honest some of the lead times on pre built systems is long.

Any ideas where to look at cheap refurbs ?

I mean the company are paying so it does need to be by the books.

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £524.84 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Plenty left over for a couple of monitors of your choice.

Included a mechanical keyboard (blue switches) as it's well within budget and when you spend a large portion of your day typing it might as well be a good experience.

You could save £10 by going for a SATA SSD of the same size.

You might want to buy another couple of fans for the case, airflow should be good as it's mesh but it only comes with a rear fan from what I can tell.

It could be worth spending £100 or so to have OCUK build it for you, that way you'll get full warranty through them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Included a mechanical keyboard (blue switches) as it's well within budget and when you spend a large portion of your day typing it might as well be a good experience.

You might want to buy another couple of fans for the case, airflow should be good as it's mesh but it only comes with a rear fan from what I can tell.

It could be worth spending £100 or so to have OCUK build it for you, that way you'll get full warranty through them.
Don’t need an expensive keyboard really, and a anything mechanical will annoy everyone else in the office lol

would that system run 2 27” monitors easily with no gfx card ?

Associate

+1 for this spec, even this is probably overkill for your described needs, but has some room to stretch if you need in the future.

Soldato
OP
Bit of thread revival here.

But as OCUK have a lot of AMD CPU's out of stock and don't have an ETA on them, they recommended an intel chip.

Would this lot below be any good ?

Total: £877.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Obviously the system needs to run the two monitors in this setup, as thats what i'd get.​

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the build literally just for general office use?

If so you really don't need a 144hz monitor, I'd look at some VA/IPS screens for around the £80-120 mark were it for office use rather than a high refresh TN. If it's screen size + resolution you're looking at this is worth considering over the Ilyama:

Total: £219.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I'm not 100% on that motherboard, @orbitalwalsh might be able to recommend a good budget Intel board for your use-case assuming that one isn't worth it.

Do you really need a 1TB SSD for an office PC?

Total: £49.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Slightly slower memory that saves you a tenner, still more than ample for an office PC.

Soldato
OP
Is the build literally just for general office use?

If so you really don't need a 144hz monitor, I'd look at some VA/IPS screens for around the £80-120 mark were it for office use rather than a high refresh TN. If it's screen size + resolution you're looking at this is worth considering over the Ilyama:

Total: £219.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I'm not 100% on that motherboard, @orbitalwalsh might be able to recommend a good budget Intel board for your use-case assuming that one isn't worth it.

Do you really need a 1TB SSD for an office PC?

Total: £49.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Slightly slower memory that saves you a tenner, still more than ample for an office PC.
Yeah so that was cheapest screen in stock that is 2560x1440 and 27”.

my screen at home is 27” and 2560x1440 and is perfect for what i need as i do work from home on the odd occasion. Not sure how things would look on a 32” but it is cheaper....

Realistically the motherboard don’t matter. But aslong as it will work in that system. Its still under budget so thats a bonus

Soldato
Yeah so that was cheapest screen in stock that is 2560x1440 and 27”.

my screen at home is 27” and 2560x1440 and is perfect for what i need as i do work from home on the odd occasion. Not sure how things would look on a 32” but it is cheaper....

Realistically the motherboard don’t matter. But aslong as it will work in that system. Its still under budget so thats a bonus

1440P at 32" is the same PPI as 1080P at 24" for reference, meaning it's superior to the secondary 1080P 27" screen you have listed.

I actually bought one of them a month or so ago myself and it's been fantastic, excellent quality and I actually use it for gaming as well as work related stuff.

I think @tamzzy actually runs two of them side by side.

Regardless, I suspect you could still find a 27" 1440P screen for purely work related stuff for a good chunk less than £280.

Soldato
He does - but don't give him an excuse for pics - otherwise my PTSD will have PTSD.

*Monitor is excellent value!

:p

Mine has been spot on tbh.

OP's employer seems to be footing the bill up to a grand, honestly I'd be tempted to grab a couple of them in his shoes, and then post pics!

Soldato
Mine has been spot on tbh.

OP's employer seems to be footing the bill up to a grand, honestly I'd be tempted to grab a couple of them in his shoes, and then post pics!
They really are excellent value - surprised they haven't taken advantage of current climate and crept up in price.

My PTSD is about the screens content on said member's panel - and it's not the panel which i'm doxed on :D

*I should stress for OP that above is a poor inside joke - panel is excellent value and with @Gray2233 plus @tamzzy's endorsement (plus reviews)- it's a bit of no brainer if size and price fits budget and want.

Back
Top Bottom