Sega Dreamcast

Associate
@Slurm and anybody else.

I'm looking at getting the SD card replacement as I want to dig my DC out and play some games that I've got but the discs are all a bit scratched. Especially Zombies Revenge, it's still got the pre owned GameStation sticker on it! But it crashes at level 5 all the time.

Any recommendations on where to buy? The official GDEMU at over £100 is way more than I'd like to pay.

I also would like to do the HDMI mode but that's also pretty expensive so I've found a £20 VGA box that I'm going to grab instead.

There are quite a few unofficial GDEMU on ebay from about £45-50, most people seem to have no issues with them. I'd rather pay a bit extra to get the official one but they can be quite hard to get hold of.

There's also something called a "USB-GDROM" from a Russian site, but it's quite expensive at about £155. Similar idea but uses USB flash drives/hard drives instead of SD cards.

£20 for a VGA box is a great deal. :)

Permabanned
There are quite a few unofficial GDEMU on ebay from about £45-50, most people seem to have no issues with them.

Are there any UK sellers ?
I keep seeing UK addresses, but Chinese sellers - Not a problem, until things go wrong and you need to send it back, it doesn't go back to the UK address, it goes back to China. I don't mind unofficial, all my everdrives are "Unofficial".

Associate
Are there any UK sellers ?
I keep seeing UK addresses, but Chinese sellers - Not a problem, until things go wrong and you need to send it back, it doesn't go back to the UK address, it goes back to China. I don't mind unofficial, all my everdrives are "Unofficial".

All the ones I've just checked are as you say, looks like they ship from UK but the businesses have Chinese addresses. :/

There's a company called Kaico Labs in Nottingham who are selling one on their own website for £44.99, any issues and you'd probably just have to send it back to them.
I'm not sure if I can link to it, but it was easy enough to search for.

Permabanned
Yep, got it, thanks. £44 is about the same price as the Chinese sellers, and Kaico are in the UK.
Just hope my Dreamcast motherboard is a VA0 or VA1.

Soldato
Terraonion have recently announced their ODE for anyone who hasn't seen. It is dual purpose so can be used as an ODE in Saturn as well as Dreamcast, compatible with all model Saturns and Dreamcasts; plus you can plug in SATA HDD's and SSD's as the storage medium. Bit pricey at about £160 though.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html
This is a game changer honestly with support for Saturn and DC. I already own a gdemu (official) and that was like what 120 so an extra 30 for supporting both together with sata is amazing.

It also has a decent menu system that pulls game info data off.

Associate
My fav console ever. Always a big fan of sega, got the master system (mk1), megadrive (mk1), megacd (mk1), 32x, saturn, but the dreamcast was something else, like having an arcade. I remember going day 1 to the shops and buying one with my student loan. Yea sega rally 2 was a bit meh but the rest was just amazing and even the internet was passable. Shenmue an obvious fav.

Soldato
Done the battery mod on mine now which was pretty easy, installed the PSU replacement, and waiting on a Noctua fan to replace the standard fan. Need to buy either a HDD or SSD for when the MODE comes. Would like to get it modded to HDMI output but just using a pound HDMI cable to play it at the minute which will have to do.

Soldato
My Retrofighters Striker DC controller arrived yesterday. Hopefully I get the chance today to give it a go. Reviews seem positive.

This might breathe some new life into this console, I've always felt the original controller was cumbersome to use.

Soldato
My Retrofighters Striker DC controller arrived yesterday. Hopefully I get the chance today to give it a go. Reviews seem positive.

This might breathe some new life into this console, I've always felt the original controller was cumbersome to use.

I got one a few weeks ago, good pad, nice to use.

Soldato
Got my Terraonion Mode today, easy install, have a vast variety of games on a 1TB SSD plugged into it, only played a handful so far, looking forward to playing some games I've never had the chance to play.

Soldato
How long did it take to arrive?

I'm tempted, though part of me likes having the physical media; it's part of the retro experience afterall. I do think however, if my drive started to fail, then I'd definatey go for the Mode.

Will you keep your physical games, or sell them off?

Soldato
I ordered on April 19th, they started shipping at the start of July, they said they should be all shipped out by the end of July. I'd imagine after the large initial shipments are out of the way, if you order it they'd be able to ship it out quicker.

Dunno about selling the games off yet, I think about it sometimes. I've got ODE's for the Dreamcast, Saturn, and Gamecube now, plus a jailbroken Mega SG and Super NT filled with ROM's, I have an NT Mini on order which I plan to jailbreak and fill with NES ROM's, and plan on getting the Analogue Pocket and doing the same, thinking about getting a MiSTer aswell, which will account for some other systems as well. So I could claim back the money I've spent on them by selling all the games for those systems I have, just not sure yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ordered on April 19th, they started shipping at the start of July, they said they should be all shipped out by the end of July. I'd imagine after the large initial shipments are out of the way, if you order it they'd be able to ship it out quicker.

Dunno about selling the games off yet, I think about it sometimes. I've got ODE's for the Dreamcast, Saturn, and Gamecube now, plus a jailbroken Mega SG and Super NT filled with ROM's, I have an NT Mini on order which I plan to jailbreak and fill with NES ROM's, and plan on getting the Analogue Pocket and doing the same, thinking about getting a MiSTer aswell, which will account for some other systems as well. So I could claim back the money I've spent on them by selling all the games for those systems I have, just not sure yet.
I wouldn’t sell the games, you will regret it. Keep them

Soldato
Recently outfitted a DC with a new noctua fan kit, new modern psu and a cheapy sd card drive, been playing loads of Tokyo Highway Challenge 2!

I've got the new fan so the only noise it really makes is the disk drive. Makes it so much more useable. I'm not sure how I feel about the SD card solution though considering I've got about 20 disks now! Quite a few games are beyond what I want to pay for an old game though....

Soldato
which fan are you guys using? be interested in doing that mod myself.

I am with @almoststew1990 on the SD card mod, just doesn't seem right. I think I now have 50-60 DC games, bought Confidential Mission, Incoming and Plasma Sword a week or 2 ago. Decided the DC is going to be one of the consoles I keep and invest in when I do my shrink of owned "Stuff"

Back
Top Bottom