Pad or keyboard

Soldato
Anything with shooting/aiming (1st or 3rd person) I use M&KB (along with the obvious RTS, RPGs etc).

3rd person non-shooter (e.g. The Witcher, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed and similar)/casual/platform/driving etc. I use a shield controller

Soldato
Mouse and keyboard for everything for me.

And I do mean

tenor.gif

I hate gamepads. Always have. I bought one to try Dark Souls with it, but ended up giving it to my kids. I thought the reason Havel was kicking my butt might have been because I was disadvantaging myself by not using a controller, so I tried it out, but quickly realised... nope, that's even worse! Turns out I just needed to git gud, which appears to be input-device agnostic :)

Not only do I find controllers quite difficult to use in terms of accuracy and fine control, but everytime I have tried to get used to using a pad I end up with tendinitis in my left hand after only a couple of hours.

Last game I tried was Persona 4. Got the pad back from my son, played for two hours and my hand hurt for the next two days. I have a bit of hypermobility in my hand joints, so I don't know if I'm just not cut out for using a controller anyway.

It does mean I miss out on the few games that are just really not optimised for M&KB, but these are few and far between. I've beaten multiple NG+ (+++) runs of games taht are supposedly not mouse-friendly like Dark Souls I, II & III, The Surge, Nioh and they've all been fine.

Associate
OP
Mouse and keyboard for everything for me.

And I do mean

tenor.gif

I hate gamepads. Always have. I bought one to try Dark Souls with it, but ended up giving it to my kids. I thought the reason Havel was kicking my butt might have been because I was disadvantaging myself by not using a controller, so I tried it out, but quickly realised... nope, that's even worse! Turns out I just needed to git gud, which appears to be input-device agnostic :)

Not only do I find controllers quite difficult to use in terms of accuracy and fine control, but everytime I have tried to get used to using a pad I end up with tendinitis in my left hand after only a couple of hours.

Last game I tried was Persona 4. Got the pad back from my son, played for two hours and my hand hurt for the next two days. I have a bit of hypermobility in my hand joints, so I don't know if I'm just not cut out for using a controller anyway.

It does mean I miss out on the few games that are just really not optimised for M&KB, but these are few and far between. I've beaten multiple NG+ (+++) runs of games taht are supposedly not mouse-friendly like Dark Souls I, II & III, The Surge, Nioh and they've all been fine.
Each to there own man :)

Associate
after years of pc gaming my fingers are fixed in wad shift space
right hand same for the mouse

no matter what im doing my hands always sit in those positions
i have pads and joysticks and i never seem able to switch back, it feels wrong

but i used to use pads for button bashing games and i used joystick for flying in BF etc
i recently bought a duel stick setup for star citizen and cant use it at all

so yeah kb/m for everything, but not really by choice lol

Soldato
depends on the game.

If it's a third person beat them up kind game, such as Assassin's Creed I'll use a pad. Though if it involves a lot of shooting like GTA or RDR I'll use KBM.
if it's an FPS then it's always KBM.

Associate
1st person and RTS/Sim games, it's always a KB+M. Driving games with a controller (don't own a wheel). However, with 3rd person ones it depends on how well I can handle/enjoy the gameplay for each game respectively.

In Assassin's Creed Odyssey (the first AC game in years for me), I struggled no end with the arrow shooting with a controller. Even aim assist couldn't help me much. Tried a KB+M but didn't feel smooth and left my KB hand aching. Instead I just bounced to the mouse where necessary, and tried to avoid shooting at all. Maybe it's long since I've used controllers for shooting I think. The same went for the Batman Arkham games and how you basically lose an axis of rotation with the controller that you so sorely want in fights with 10+ mobs (ie. quickly looking in all 360 degs around Batman mid-fight), and that's definitely not a KB friendly game with all those combo moves. GTA games also forced me on to a KB+M because of all the shooting. All in all 3rd person is completely hit and miss, sometimes leaving me unhappy with either control option for different reasons.

Associate
I use a controller for everything including FPS games. Of course I don't play online as I would get annihilated. That's why I have my PlayStation as well...

Soldato
For those who use Xbox controllers, do you think XBO or X360 wired is the best option for PC use? I'm interested who requires trigger control for games like Trials Rising.

I'm thinking about getting one as my DS4 gets somewhat battered and constantly changing between console and PC is more effort than I can be bothered to make :p.

Soldato
Il happily play games like GTA with a controller all day but for fps absolutely has to be keyboard and mouse on the pc, I feel like a right numpty trying to aim and shoot using a controller lol

Back
Top Bottom