What's your job?

Associate
Work in IT for a big global company, running a lumbering ERP system and dealing with in-house offshore developers on a daily basis.

Pros: I know my product inside out and know how we use it
Work with a variety of technologies
Freedom to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in with most things
Pays well
Always stuff going on

Cons: Having to tell developers to not do stupid things in production
Having to stop management telling developers to do stupid things
Having to explain that supplier X's brand new system we've just paid for won't help us because.. [reasons]
No clear defined responsibility
My core product is going to expire before I can retire
Our dept is seen as a necessary evil not a benefit by the company

Soldato
Having to explain that supplier X's brand new system we've just paid for won't help us because.. [reasons]

I'm currently doing this. As the main user of said software it would've been nice to have been consulted. But after doing some testing now i've finally had my hands on it, i've submitted a huge list of issues that it can't do and that our current package does and how switching will cause monumental issues (along with not doing any of what they believed it would).

It's going to be a fun few months :(

Associate
I am currently an Instrumentation Engineer for a automotive manufacturer.

pros to the job, get to see and drive lots of different cars. Travel. Good place to work.

Cons, lots of red tape, some days can feel like scrap heap challenge trying to keep some old equipment going. Job safety, looking with the current state of the industry.

Soldato
18 Years working in Financial Services with the current job role having a fancy title which basically translates into Area Manager, for a large bank.

I look after 19 staff, one of which is a lower grade manager who I sub out 5 of my staff to.

PROS :
The income to student debt ratio is fantastic (I didn't go to Uni so have no student debt and most of my qualifications were funded by employers). The salary I earn is quite embarrassing to talk about when you look at my qualifications (I do have a LOT of industry specific exams under my belt, but the highest one is only Diploma level) and I often feel extremely lucky to earn what I do. I don't tell my mates what I earn despite years of them asking as I am too embarrassed to say.
I manage 90% of my own diary time to suit what I feel I need to do and this helps my work life balance
I am at a level where I am not micro-managed
I love travelling about and meeting people in different areas of the business
I get to be involved with projects which help to shape the future state of the business

CONS:
The job is at constant risk of redundancy (I have been displaced 4 times and made redundant once during my career. These displacements are likely to increase in frequency with the way the banking sector is changing with branch closures and accelerated movement to digital solutions).
There is no room for poor performance and whilst in 18 years I have never under performed, all it takes is a bit of a bad spell and the pressure starts to get to you. You can become embroiled in the job and easily start to build anxiety.
Remembering the names of 19 peoples kids / partners / dogs etc
Generally dealing with people's problems - I often find it hard to empathise, but have to be able to support people in the right way
The land mass of the patch I look after is staggering. 364 Miles as the crow flies from the northern most to southern most points where I have physical site presence. This makes travel hours very long, although I expect my travel to almost be non-existent post COVID since they realise that we can do the job from home (even if not as effective). So probably going to reduce from 3 days a week travel to maybe 2-3 times a month I think.

*edit*
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO (I thought this would be an interesting addition):
Live in an old stone farmhouse with around 10 acres of land and an indoor show arena. Couple of holiday lets on site to rent out, then rent out the arena and fields for dog / horse/ agricultural shows.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's good when you don't have a clue what we do, our chick welfare is the best in the world

Would you care to expand on this? I've heard the horror stories I'm sure you're familiar with about chicks being thrown in the grinder. But how do you dispose of the male chicks?

Soldato
Would you care to expand on this? I've heard the horror stories I'm sure you're familiar with about chicks being thrown in the grinder. But how do you dispose of the male chicks?

As above, and the male chicks get used, depending on the order, as all our chicks are grandparent or great grandparent, which means they are used for further breeding, that will then make chickens for meat or eggs, all our chicks are only on site for 24hrs before shipping all over the world

Soldato
The get gassed, or if the are in a very bad way, they get there necks snapped and then will be macerated
As above, and the male chicks get used, depending on the order, as all our chicks are grandparent or great grandparent, which means they are used for further breeding, that will then make chickens for meat or eggs, all our chicks are only on site for 24hrs before shipping all over the world

Doesn't sound particularly pleasant at all, especially given you've said that your chicks have the best welfare in the world.

It's a job at the end of the day so fair play, I know I couldn't do it though.

Associate
18 Years working in Financial Services with the current job role having a fancy title which basically translates into Area Manager, for a large bank.

I look after 19 staff, one of which is a lower grade manager who I sub out 5 of my staff to.

PROS :
The income to student debt ratio is fantastic (I didn't go to Uni so have no student debt and most of my qualifications were funded by employers). The salary I earn is quite embarrassing to talk about when you look at my qualifications (I do have a LOT of industry specific exams under my belt, but the highest one is only Diploma level) and I often feel extremely lucky to earn what I do. I don't tell my mates what I earn despite years of them asking as I am too embarrassed to say.
I manage 90% of my own diary time to suit what I feel I need to do and this helps my work life balance
I am at a level where I am not micro-managed
I love travelling about and meeting people in different areas of the business
I get to be involved with projects which help to shape the future state of the business

CONS:
The job is at constant risk of redundancy (I have been displaced 4 times and made redundant once during my career. These displacements are likely to increase in frequency with the way the banking sector is changing with branch closures and accelerated movement to digital solutions).
There is no room for poor performance and whilst in 18 years I have never under performed, all it takes is a bit of a bad spell and the pressure starts to get to you. You can become embroiled in the job and easily start to build anxiety.
Remembering the names of 19 peoples kids / partners / dogs etc
Generally dealing with people's problems - I often find it hard to empathise, but have to be able to support people in the right way
The land mass of the patch I look after is staggering. 364 Miles as the crow flies from the northern most to southern most points where I have physical site presence. This makes travel hours very long, although I expect my travel to almost be non-existent post COVID since they realise that we can do the job from home (even if not as effective). So probably going to reduce from 3 days a week travel to maybe 2-3 times a month I think.

*edit*
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO (I thought this would be an interesting addition):
Live in an old stone farmhouse with around 10 acres of land and an indoor show arena. Couple of holiday lets on site to rent out, then rent out the arena and fields for dog / horse/ agricultural shows.

Interesting. My Dad used to do a similar job for Midland Bank (now HSBC). He was the SME Business Manager for a parts of North London (Islington, Camden, Hackney etc) covering a large number of branches. For example, he provided the initial business plan review and funding for the Jazz Cafe in Camden. He took voluntary redundancy at 50 with a nice payoff, pension and shares.

Back
Top Bottom