Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Probably be very hard to get that punch as the contrast ratio for this is rather low, even for an IPS at 800/900:1. What is your contrast ratio coming out as after calibrating it?

Also, could you post all your monitor OSD settings here too please.

How do I find out the contrast ratio? [Edit: Just found this out. I'll try and do it over the next few days for you]

The colorvision creates a custom monitor profile which covers the various colour settings. The rest are currently:

Brightness: 75
Contrast: 46
Black Tuner: +3
(Everything else off)

Colour: User Colour, all set to 100 (Note: the default profiles look off to me. Cool is too blue, Normal seems to desaturate everything and warm is like watching my Nan's telly).
Blue Light Reducer: Off
Gamma: 2.2

I-Style: Off
(all other gimmicks off)

I might do a bit more tinkering as I'm not happy with the white, which is appearing a bit greyish at the moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How do I find out the contrast ratio? [Edit: Just found this out. I'll try and do it over the next few days for you]

The colorvision creates a custom monitor profile which covers the various colour settings. The rest are currently:

Brightness: 75
Contrast: 46
Black Tuner: +3
(Everything else off)

Colour: User Colour, all set to 100 (Note: the default profiles look off to me. Cool is too blue, Normal seems to desaturate everything and warm is like watching my Nan's telly).
Blue Light Reducer: Off
Gamma: 2.2

I-Style: Off
(all other gimmicks off)

I might do a bit more tinkering as I'm not happy with the white, which is appearing a bit greyish at the moment.
Thanks.

Goes to show just how different each panel is when it comes to the variance in what settings for accurate colours.

These 2 reviews have slightly different results from their calibration.

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/99...u-b1-red-eagle-review-ultrabrede-prijsknaller

https://www.prad.de/testberichte/te...stiger-gaming-monitor-ueberzeugt#Lieferumfang

I don't have a calibrator so my settings are:

brightness - 13
contrast - 50
user colour - normal
BE - 0 (although might up it to +1 as do notice lack of detail in darker areas)

Associate
Thanks.

Goes to show just how different each panel is when it comes to the variance in what settings for accurate colours.

These 2 reviews have slightly different results from their calibration.

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/99...u-b1-red-eagle-review-ultrabrede-prijsknaller

https://www.prad.de/testberichte/te...stiger-gaming-monitor-ueberzeugt#Lieferumfang

I don't have a calibrator so my settings are:

brightness - 13
contrast - 50
user colour - normal
BE - 0 (although might up it to +1 as do notice lack of detail in darker areas)

Woah, I've just decreased my brightness to 13 and the whites are just really dull and grey. How odd.

I would say that visuals are as much user preference as science, I guess much like sound. The calibration profile won't change the monitor settings of course so will then adjust back from there. I think it only adjusts for white balance and RGB too rather than changing contrast or brightness.

I'm happy to share the configured profile if anyone wants it, although obviously that would be based on my particular panel.

Caporegime
OP
Woah, I've just decreased my brightness to 13 and the whites are just really dull and grey. How odd.

I would say that visuals are as much user preference as science, I guess much like sound. The calibration profile won't change the monitor settings of course so will then adjust back from there. I think it only adjusts for white balance and RGB too rather than changing contrast or brightness.

I'm happy to share the configured profile if anyone wants it, although obviously that would be based on my particular panel.

No idea about your room lighting but generally 120 nits is the recommended brightness, which for this monitor is about 10-15% brightness, it is very jarring at first when used to a high brightness but you do get used to it and your eyes will thank you in the long term :p Not to mention, blacks look far better as you drop the brightness on IPS screens.

But yup exactly, know some who love over saturated vibrant colours where colour bands just blend together and others who love washed out colours! I just go for whatever is supposedly the most accurate.

Personally I never bother with doing any changes via profiles/software though as find with games, it never stays or get reset so try to do as best as I can with the monitor OSD settings.

Associate
No idea about your room lighting but generally 120 nits is the recommended brightness, which for this monitor is about 10-15% brightness, it is very jarring at first when used to a high brightness but you do get used to it and your eyes will thank you in the long term :p Not to mention, blacks look far better as you drop the brightness on IPS screens.

But yup exactly, know some who love over saturated vibrant colours where colour bands just blend together and others who love washed out colours! I just go for whatever is supposedly the most accurate.

Personally I never bother with doing any changes via profiles/software though as find with games, it never stays or get reset so try to do as best as I can with the monitor OSD settings.

Now the room is a bit darker, turning the brightness down is fine. Whites are a bit grey but not sure I'm going to improve on that.

Associate
I just set mine up and it looks awful ;/ it looks very washed out?

I'm coming from a 6 year old samsung PLS panel, I would have expected this to be an upgrade. Is there any guide for calibrating this?

Soldato
I got this today. As has been said the whites are a tad on the grey side but once you've got used to the horrible button controls to adjust the displays settings you can easily tweak the colour profile etc. The brightness isn't exactly stunning on this unit but considering it's a ips brightness up high is generally a bad idea. My unit also has no screen defects (a first) and hardly any hint of ips glow (again a first) . The matt screen finish is superb and greatly assists ips displays, especially ips ultrawides.
HDR is a tricky thing and I've left it turned off until Windows 10 sorts hdr out (if ever). Freesync was turned off by default and working out how to apply it initially was frustrating. It does HDR but I've a oled tv and nothing can compete with oled imo.
As for calibration it seems all the panels vary so its upto the user to get to grips with the hideous buttons and tweak away..
For the money it's a brilliant buy but it's far from a top tier display but you'd need to speed north of £800 to get one thats a lot better.
Will continue to tweak and see how she goes.

Caporegime
OP
I would say the only other LCD based displays that would be "noticeably" better are more likely going to be at least £1k and then the ultimate question is... are those displays worth that kind of money?

That's largely why I got this, a monitor of these kind of specs should only be about £400 to start with, if spending £800+, then look at LGs OLED TVs instead as they are going to provide a heck of a lot more for your money.

I just set mine up and it looks awful ;/ it looks very washed out?

I'm coming from a 6 year old samsung PLS panel, I would have expected this to be an upgrade. Is there any guide for calibrating this?

See few posts above.

Associate
I ordered this one thinking, well if the HDR is pretty rubbish on much more expensive options, go for the cheaper monitor then upgrade later on.

Interested to see how it fares compared to my AOC 60HZ IPS Ultrawide.

Associate
The IPS glow on my monitor is pretty terrible in tests (black screen video from YouTube). There's a strong glow in the four corners but it would seem to be caused predominantly by the viewing angles as if I look at each corner head-on, it's much better. I haven't seen any issues when the screen is showing colours and it's not noticeable in day-to-day usage. That's all with brightness now backed off to 30 (although I'm finding I'm decreasing it more and more as time goes on). Perhaps curved would have been better.

What is interesting is that with the colour profile set to user and all colours set at 100, the colour accuracy is pretty near to spot-on. The calibration software has only made tiny changes and it took a few times switching between before and after to notice any visual change at all.

As above, this is just a cheaper monitor for me to use until my ideal monitor exists (21:9 2160p 38" 144hz probably), but it has been interesting to compare to my previous screen. I'll definitely be more particular when I do replace this with my "proper" monitor.

Associate
Hey mates,

brought home a unit this Tuesday.
Is this monitor in fact unable of scaling any resolutions besides of 3440x1440 to be displayed with their respective correct aspect ratios?
E.g., if I don't want to use GPU scaling (I really don't want to do that), how on Earth can I get it to display 2160x1080 or 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 correctly?
I've asked Iiyama customer service but they didn't reply on that topic.

Associate
I'm returning mine :( , I understood there would be compromises to get an IPS ultrawide at this price point but for it's picture quality to be substantially lower than my 6 year old, half the price, PLS screen is unacceptable.
I think the only way to recommend this screen is you must have ultrawide and your budget doesn't allow for a more expensive one.

I'll be sticking with my samsung for now I think ;/

Soldato
Hey mates,

brought home a unit this Tuesday.
Is this monitor in fact unable of scaling any resolutions besides of 3440x1440 to be displayed with their respective correct aspect ratios?
E.g., if I don't want to use GPU scaling (I really don't want to do that), how on Earth can I get it to display 2160x1080 or 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 correctly?
I've asked Iiyama customer service but they didn't reply on that topic.

Make a custom resolution in NVCP, don't know if AMD drivers can do this, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

Associate
I'm returning mine :( , I understood there would be compromises to get an IPS ultrawide at this price point but for it's picture quality to be substantially lower than my 6 year old, half the price, PLS screen is unacceptable.
I think the only way to recommend this screen is you must have ultrawide and your budget doesn't allow for a more expensive one.

I'll be sticking with my samsung for now I think ;/

Shame it's not working out for you.

I need to plug in my old monitor again and do a side-by-side comparison. When I first started this monitor up, it looked very weak and soft - I'm not noticing that as much anymore but not sure if that's the tweaking I've done on the settings or just getting used to it!

Soldato
Purchasing a monitor your happy with is hard. From the moment I saw bad ghosting on my 2nd ever lcd screen back in the very early 2000's I became more and more obsessed with getting the best one possible. Then as they progressed with refresh rates and different panel types etc I end up up wanting the best latest thing (within reason).
I've now 3 great monitors I'm happy with including this WQSU B1. I know I've got a good panel here and am counting my blessings

Associate
Make a custom resolution in NVCP, don't know if AMD drivers can do this, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

I don't need to make a custom resolution in the control panel of the GPU, 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 are standard resolutions that are offered by W10 anyhow. What I need is that the monitor itself realizes that this is a 16:9 aspect ratio screen and displays it accordingly. My old LG monitor does that without hesitations.

Associate
It's a shame there's no practical way to test out monitors before you buy. Sure, there are the big online retailers like OCUK and other which is great if you happen to live near their store, but otherwise the best you can do is pop into PC world and view a few adverts on a stack-em-high sell-em-low Full HD (I mean, mind-blowing wow!!!) monitor. OK, to be fair, they might have a slow 4K monitor on display now, but if you want something fast there's nowt.

Associate
Shame it's not working out for you.

I need to plug in my old monitor again and do a side-by-side comparison. When I first started this monitor up, it looked very weak and soft - I'm not noticing that as much anymore but not sure if that's the tweaking I've done on the settings or just getting used to it!

Maybe I need to do a side by side and validate what I've concluded, I know enough to know I can't always trust my brain :D

Soldato
It's a shame there's no practical way to test out monitors before you buy. Sure, there are the big online retailers like OCUK and other which is great if you happen to live near their store, but otherwise the best you can do is pop into PC world and view a few adverts on a stack-em-high sell-em-low Full HD (I mean, mind-blowing wow!!!) monitor. OK, to be fair, they might have a slow 4K monitor on display now, but if you want something fast there's nowt.

To be honest, it’s irrelevant what they have on display as panel quality varies massively from unit to unit. Just look at this thread, someone have good units, others less so.

Expectations vary widely as well.

You’d need to open sealed units for sale to find one you were happy with...

Back
Top Bottom