**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 20/Ultra Thread ****

Soldato
Samsdsung cut many corners on the note 20
They are both near the same size

£1000 for a plastic back, 60Hz/1080p screen, 128GB non-expandable storage - bravo Samsung.

The S9 had a higher resolution, the Note10 uses better Gorilla Glass, my Note 4 has expandable storage :p.
I think the prices are
Note 20 4G £849
Note 20 5G £949
Note 20 5G ultra £1179
IMO they should have been cheaper.
I like the look of the Samsung//Microsoft integration.

Note 20 seems wildly overpriced for the specs...

Note 20 Ultra, I'm still interested. More research/reviews required.
I agree with you, I think they did a poor job with the note 20 only if they could have put in a little more thought into it.
I've gone with the Note 20 Ultra 256GB Mystic White. Coming with free pare of Galaxy Buds Live (-£179). Delivery 21st August.

Why didn't they do a 512gb in mystic white, gawd knows. Didn't like the bronze & didn't want a black phone.
IMO Mystic White is the best.

Soldato
Samsung upgraded to the SD 865+ yet continue flogging the unmodified Exynos 990 in European markets. They serve adverts in their software, take zuckerberg’s shilling by installing Facebook on every phone and still manage to create awful, overpriced phones like the Note 20 at £849.

iPhone 12, here I come.

To be honest, the note 20 ultra is lacking a little for the price and the note 20 even more so but is the ultra really a bad upgrade ?

IMO

Pros
Spec : Great spec, could have been better but not that bad.
Design: like the note 10 the Note 20 ultra has one of the best designs. much better then most other phone
New feature: Gorilla glass 7, 9ms s-pen, xbox games.

Cons
No upgraded CPU, Could they not have offered the same SD 865+ to all, they are charging the same price
No LTPO display,
No sonic max fingerprint sensor.
smaller battery compared to the S20u, did they need the space for the S-pen ?
Price is a little high but they do inc the buds

Associate
Wow, only 25watt charging?
My current Note does 45watt at over 4amps using their official (albeit Euro to UK plug) charger.

Was hoping they'd uncap it alittle has that highly throttles after 0-33% (10 minutes).

Associate
If I was on the fence about getting a new Samsung now I definitely won't. Absolute disgrace they can charge the same for a far inferior Exynos version. I'll remain Android, but my next option is probably gambling on Huawei or going the Oneplus Route again (Think I was one of the very first in the UK with the OP1).

Associate
Went for the 256gb in Mystic white, considering about a month ago I was sticking with the Note 10+
Ordered the Protective standing case in silver as I always do.

Soldato
Wow, only 25watt charging?
My current Note does 45watt at over 4amps using their official (albeit Euro to UK plug) charger.

Was hoping they'd uncap it alittle has that highly throttles after 0-33% (10 minutes).
Whats the point if the inbox charger only supports 25w, are you really going to buy another charger to use it ?
Want a Mystic Green one but it doesn't appear to be available yet on pre-order :(
only available for the note 20 not the ultra.

If I was on the fence about getting a new Samsung now I definitely won't. Absolute disgrace they
can charge the same for a far inferior Exynos version. I'll remain Android, but my next option is probably gambling on Huawei or going the Oneplus Route again (Think I was one of the very first in the UK with the OP1).
I was thinking the same but I did notice the exynos models get more storage compared to the Snapdragon.

Soldato
Damn would have considered a Note 20 Ultra IF they had done something about the POS Exynos and at least released a revised 990+ or similar but nope, US and Korea get SD865+ and we get nothing.

**** off at that price. Not paying that for a slower phone that throttles considerably more.

Anyone know if theres a Snapdragon 865+ with a decent screen and speakers (and cooling) and ideally microsd card and headphone jack.

Goddamn seems like theyre more interested in pulling features than adding them this year. The battery on my Note 9 is getting tired but seriously considering skipping upgrade until next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went for a Note 20 ultra in black for the price of £49/month with £0 up front for unlimited minutes, texts and data. Almost perfectly timed as my contract went up for renewal yesterday. Sucks that we have been screwed by no Exynos processor upgrade but hey ho. Comes with a free set of galaxy buds at least which removes some of the sting.

Associate
Whats the point if the inbox charger only supports 25w, are you really going to buy another charger to use it ?

I did for the Note 10 yes & a quick 10 minute top has been really convenient & saved my skin plenty of times. It just seems weird to drop feature when the prior model out does it.

As one YouTube review said, they're changing direction from Note being best of the best hardware/specs to the most productive, with Galaxy being the flashy social media unit containing the latest gen hardware. I can live with that but just came as a surprise.

Edit: taken from Oct post I made in Note 10 thread:
0 to 22% in 7 minutes
0 to 30% in 10 minutes
0 to 53% in 20 minutes (-7%)
0 to 77% in 30 minutes (-13%)
0 to 90% in 41 minutes
0 to 95% in 51 minutes
0 to 100% in 61 minutes (could be less time to 100% by a couple if minutes tbh)

25w charging test taken from online as not done this one yet.
10min~22%
30min~64%
60min~96%
64min~100%

Last edited:
Soldato
I did for the Note 10 yes & a quick 10 minute top has been really convenient & saved my skin plenty of times. It just seems weird to drop feature when the prior model out does it.

As one YouTube review said, they're changing direction from Note being best of the best hardware/specs to the most productive, with Galaxy being the flashy social media unit containing the latest gen hardware. I can live with that but just came as a surprise.

Edit: taken from Oct post I made in Note 10 thread:
0 to 22% in 7 minutes
0 to 30% in 10 minutes
0 to 53% in 20 minutes (-7%)
0 to 77% in 30 minutes (-13%)
0 to 90% in 41 minutes
0 to 95% in 51 minutes
0 to 100% in 61 minutes (could be less time to 100% by a couple if minutes tbh)

25w charging test taken from online as not done this one yet.
10min~22%
30min~64%
60min~96%
64min~100%
I do see your point but what i meant was would the average person go out and buy a charger to get the higher speeds when they have a reasonable 25w charger in the box.

also as your test show your only really saving a few mins

if it came with a 45w charger in box it would be another matter.

Soldato
Expensive crap I'm afraid. Just like the iPhone. I'm done with anything over £500 thesedays. No need with the plethora of droids sub 500.

Associate
I wasn't going to upgrade, the Note 10+ has been really good, battery life not impressive but never ran out before the day was done, but since I tried out the Huawei P40 Pro recently with that 5x camera setup it was either the Note or the P40Pro.
That S Pen is a game changer but only if you use it, and I do, so the Note has got my money this time around and it's nice to get a pre order gift over here in the UK for a change, that has not happened with the Note series since the Note 8 where we had the Dex Dock thrown in!
Yes I am miffed that the US and other territories got the Snapdragon 865+ but it is what it is, we lose some performance/battery life and will probably regret the purchase when the comparisons come out between the 865+ and the 990.
I am weak I crumbled again :)

Back
Top Bottom