Massive blast in Beirut

Soldato
fact remains though not having them at the finger tips of a whole army of potentially trigger happy field commanders, or more junior officers seems a heck of a lot safer to me!

Caporegime
Yikes, the damage...

lzw3a8.jpeg

Permabanned
Caporegime
It's crazy all these videos. Like something out of Fallout. Governments need to be extra careful because no doubt terrorists will look to exploit this in other countries as i guess Lebanon is not the only country to have HE material just laying around in a warehouse.

Soldato
Interesting video.

Bit of a fail then, if they've bombed the docks rather than these supposed missile silos the opposite side of the city?

Don't believe everything you get sent on twitter. Those are from ages ago. He is pointing to a different part of Beirut. The BBC and other proper news sources have already explained this. Stop looking for conspiracy where there is none. It is just a tragic accident born of stupidity and mismanagement/mishandling of a dangerous material.

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/lebanon/comments/i3nstk/just_received_this_beirut_explosion_omg/
it shows 2 possibly 3 explosions ..time lapse it .. the first would have been from the warehouse which would have cracked the silo's the seconded would have been the grain going off then combined with the nitrate ?
as it needs a mixer ..just my thoughts
you can see the silo lids pop then boom

I'm not sure it does. It shows the supersonic shockwave followed by the sound wave some time later. It's the same blast.

Caporegime
Why are people still going down the conspiratard route on this? You've got parties sworn to destroy one another agreeing that it's nothing more than an utterly tragic accident?

Soldato
I'm not sure it does. It shows the supersonic shockwave followed by the sound wave some time later. It's the same blast.
Indeed. Not to mention that the grain silos didn't explode, they took damage from the blast and dumped their contents onto the ground/water but didn't actually add to the explosion.

Soldato
Why are people still going down the conspiratard route on this? You've got parties sworn to destroy one another agreeing that it's nothing more than an utterly tragic accident?

That's what they want you to believe, because reasons

Capodecina
Soldato

I suppose - and fairly, to an extent - that it's hard for some people to see an explosion of this magnitude as an accident. I have a friend in Beirut who moved there from Syria who has relayed many stories to me over the years, so I'm aware just how badly some things are managed there, that's why I personally don't see it as a conspiracy. He had his windows blown in and spent yesterday clearing the rubble up, but I imagine it's not actually the worst thing to happen to him.

Soldato
I suppose - and fairly, to an extent - that it's hard for some people to see an explosion of this magnitude as an accident.
Don't tell them about the USS Johnson then. They'll be having nightmares.

Sometimes we just have to use cold logic and reasoning. You know, how we should have been taught how to do in school in various subjects like science and history. What could have caused this? What is most probable? Does the evidence fit the hypothesis? What external sources are there, do they corroborate and are they trustworthy? These days people seem more willing to trust Mr McShouty on twitter than expert testimony and professional evidence. It's madness. You don't ask the vocal pub know-it-all to diagnose your medical condition. No you go to a doctor. So why do that for anything else?

Permabanned

People need the comfort of feeling that there is a big reason that big events happen. Badly stored chemicals, abandoned in a warehouse detonating themselves after years of neglect feels too mundane an explanation for something this big and tragic. They need the conspiracies to feed their brainworms.

Permabanned
I really don’t see this “absoluteness” in what has happened with regard to what I’m reading in this thread with many of the opinions. The fact is you know what you have been told. I don’t condone wild conspiracies but the only thing we know is there was an explosion. Under what circumstances and with what exactly remains unclear.

Soldato
I really don’t see this “absoluteness” in what has happened with regard to what I’m reading in this thread with many of the opinions. The fact is you know what you have been told. I don’t condone wild conspiracies but the only thing we know is there was an explosion. Under what circumstances and with what exactly remains unclear.

We also have reasonably strong evidence that there was a large amount of ammonium nitrate poorly stored in a warehouse on the docks for years.

Back
Top Bottom