• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 590 Crashing

Associate
Hi Guys

I bought the Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 Gaming Rev2 on here when it was on offer and it seemed to be working fine. I did a fresh Windows 10 64bit install on my PC when I installed it and I played Subnautica, Fallout 76 and South Park Stick of Truth with no issue.

I installed the new Grounded game and it will get about 30 seconds into game and items will start to change colour or go fuzzy (seems to be the same items, like all the leaf's or pebbles) and then the game will crash. The error says "Video driver crashed and was reset"

I then tried all the games in the first paragraph again and they seemed ok again with 30 minute play each.

I put on 7 days to check that and this also has issues. While I hit things red, blue, green spots appear on the impact. It will flash on the screen and off again. Doesn't really effect gaming but annoying. Then it crashed after about 10 minutes with no error.

I have updated drivers and when I get home tonight I will put my old R9 285 2GB card back in as I had no issues with this before the swap and see if it makes a difference.

Before I continue does anyone spot any issues with the parts from my build and compatibility? I think it should be fine.
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97
Intel Core i5-4690 3.50GHz (Haswell)
TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB)
SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd consider using a 19 driver if you haven't, the 20 drivers have a lot of issues with polaris cards and it might help to rule it out.

Associate
OP
I'd consider using a 19 driver if you haven't, the 20 drivers have a lot of issues with polaris cards and it might help to rule it out.
I did not know that. Worth a shot, just downloaded the last 19 driver and will install it tonight and see what happens. Not holding out too much hope as the last few times I've seen similar issues it was the card.

Associate
OP
I have tried lots of different driver versions now and all do the same. If anything the card/problem is deteriorating as Subnautica and Fallout are crashing now as well within a minute of playing.

I am about to put my old R9 285 2GB in and if that works I will be blaming the card and looking to return.

Soldato
While I hit things red, blue, green spots appear on the impact. It will flash on the screen and off again.
That's a pretty standard artifact that happens when an overclock is pushed just a little too high. Obviously it shouldn't be doing it at stock though. Have you tried underclocking the card a little to see if that stabilises it? Knock 50-100MHz off the core and see if that does it, and a little off the VRAM if it doesn't. Obviously it's not really a solution as such, but it'd at least allow you to use the card whilst getting an RMA sorted. And personally I'd just use the latest driver. I was using a Polaris card for a couple of months recently and had zero issues, so I don't think there are any widespread problems.

Associate
Hi Guys

I bought the Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 Gaming Rev2 on here when it was on offer and it seemed to be working fine. I did a fresh Windows 10 64bit install on my PC when I installed it and I played Subnautica, Fallout 76 and South Park Stick of Truth with no issue.

I installed the new Grounded game and it will get about 30 seconds into game and items will start to change colour or go fuzzy (seems to be the same items, like all the leaf's or pebbles) and then the game will crash. The error says "Video driver crashed and was reset"

I then tried all the games in the first paragraph again and they seemed ok again with 30 minute play each.

I put on 7 days to check that and this also has issues. While I hit things red, blue, green spots appear on the impact. It will flash on the screen and off again. Doesn't really effect gaming but annoying. Then it crashed after about 10 minutes with no error.

I have updated drivers and when I get home tonight I will put my old R9 285 2GB card back in as I had no issues with this before the swap and see if it makes a difference.

Before I continue does anyone spot any issues with the parts from my build and compatibility? I think it should be fine.
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97
Intel Core i5-4690 3.50GHz (Haswell)
TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB)
SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold"
How old is the card?

Associate
OP
So I have an update....
After trying everything from Drivers, Fresh install of Windows 10, changing registry keys and adding switches to games to force settings something strange has happened....

I was going to call Overclockers to see if they had any advice or if it could be returned and I thought I would put it back in my PC to double check and.... it seems to be working fine after an just over an hours play this morning trying a few games.
The only thing that has changed is last night I did the large windows update to take me to the 2004 version of windows 10. This morning working fine so far. Can a windows update really fix the issues I was having, seems strange to me.

Associate
Sounds like a software problem rather than hardware then. Did you try to run some stress tests for 15-20 mins and see if you can notice some artifacting.

Associate
OP
So yeah been running Furmark on a stress test for 10 minutes and still going and looks good. GPU Load 100%, Temp about 75c and fans at 91%.
Actually can't believe it is working, crazy how bad the issue was until that windows version update.

Associate
Bought from Overclockers on the 12th march 2020 so 5 months. I only discovered the issues recently as I have been playing Football Manager a lot! Which doesn't really ask much of a GPU.
I'd be tempted to send it back, I'd also try several other games beforehand to establish how it works in demanding games. If you haven't got a good library of newish games and have researched the GPU history with the crashing games and it still won't play ball I wouldn't hesitate. Sometimes a game or two will cause crashes and make sure all your other software/drivers/windows update/chipset driver etc are up to date but if it still crashes RMA it.

Associate
OP
I never overclock (unless the card is factory overclocked then I don't change it)
The stress test ran for 22 minutes and looked fine and stayed at 75c.

I have loads of games so will start playing through them and see what happens. So far, Subnautica, 7 Days and Grounded seem fine. Before they were crashing within 5 minutes.

I game a lot so if there is a problem still it will resurface pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom