• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
And that’s exactly what I was talking about. It’s really bizarre behaviour to exhibit to essentially strangers online. Each to their own though I guess as you clearly think it makes you sound clever.

If only we had some actual news instead.
Perhaps try lightening up. It's discussion of a GPU, and it's a bit of banter. Being so affected by comments like "lube up" is a bit odd for anyone who isn't completely new to the internet.

If you really can't tolerate such comments, use the ignore function, because you'll probably see a lot more comments about inserting things into bottoms when nV actually releases the 3000 series :p

Soldato
This is the thrust of things really and it is how society is going as a whole (and always has done). The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

the people in the middle who are ok money wise but do have to make decisions about what they spend, see the prices of things they want to buy go up and up as the rich people swallow up the stock at higher prices.

I'm sure there's an element of rich vs poor with some people, but I see it as an informed-consumer thing. If Nvidia does this for a few more generations, Turing could end up being the new normal, but one generation of tiny performance with huge price increases doesn't make it normal, and I don't think that point can be stressed enough. -Particularly while so many people go on as if it is normal.

Soldato
We all need to find some common ground. The 1080Ti was great, right? :D

I really hope this time round AMD does deliver the competition. Every generation people say AMD will bring it, yet their flagship card usually ends up competing with the 2nd or 3rd best Nvidia card. I truly want decent competition, with only 2 players in the game, we desperately need it.

Soldato

I really hope this time round AMD does deliver the competition. Every generation people say AMD will bring it, yet their flagship card usually ends up competing with the 2nd or 3rd best Nvidia card. I truly want decent competition, with only 2 players in the game, we desperately need it.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that whatever AMD can bring to the table, Nvidia has an answer to.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Enjoying my 2080Ti, not really bothered if the 3000 series is delayed :cool:

Fully expecting that the prices with be £lol.

Soldato
But why are those numbers so low?

How long has 1440p and 4k monitors been around yet the up take is so low.

How is it that most people's mobile phones and TVs are a higher resolution than most people desktop monitors? (not even the wider market just people who own a desktop and either a phone or TV)

Seems like PC gaming is being left behind. At this rate a majority of people will have 8k TVs before 1440p becomes the defacto standard on PC.

Exactly! The prices of GPUs at the moment are beyond ludicrous and it's holding back the playerbase. How is it that the cost of every other component has managed on average to stay the same/effectively get cheaper over the years, but GPUs are some sort of witchcraft that means they must cost a fortune?

Associate

How is it that most people's mobile phones and TVs are a higher resolution than most people desktop monitors? (not even the wider market just people who own a desktop and either a phone or TV)

Seems like PC gaming is being left behind. At this rate a majority of people will have 8k TVs before 1440p becomes the defacto standard on PC.
Because you don't need a huge screen / res to enjoy the game.

Most phone resolutions are stupidly large for such a small screen. It's just marketing.

Last edited:
Associate

Careful, you'll get accused by some of only wanting AMD to succeed so it brings down the price of Nvidia cards. :p

Soldato
Exactly! The prices of GPUs at the moment are beyond ludicrous and it's holding back the playerbase. How is it that the cost of every other component has managed on average to stay the same/effectively get cheaper over the years, but GPUs are some sort of witchcraft that means they must cost a fortune?

I think it's because GPU's are by far the brightest shiny in PC gaming and NV/AMD have exploited that, and of course people have been willing to pay up.

Soldato
Enjoying my 2080Ti, not really bothered if the 3000 series is delayed :cool:

Same, and mostly playing at 1440p 165hz I cant say I’m really itching to upgrade just yet. There isn’t much the Ti can’t handle.

Really need a 32” 4k 144hz monitor that doesn’t require a kidney to purchase to warrant an upgrade but haven’t seen anything in terms of that spec.

Soldato

Based on...what? One generation?

Take a look. One of these generations is not like the others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...i_the_rtx_3080_has_about_20_increase/fyrfh3a/
For reference here is information about previous releases of Nvidia:

GTX 780 Ti - $699 - (7.11.2013)

GTX 980 - $550 (18.9.2014) - 7% faster than 780 Ti, $150 cheaper, 10 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 980 Ti - $650 (1.6.2015) - 30% faster than 780 Ti, $50 cheaper, 18 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 1080 - $600 launch (27.5.2016) , cut to $500 (1.3.2017) - 27% faster than 980 Ti, $150 cheaper, 12 months after the release of 980 Ti

GTX 1080 Ti - $700 (5.3.2017) - 43% faster than 980 Ti, $50 more expensive, 21 months after the release of 980 Ti

(EDIT: Anandtech puts 1080 Ti at +74% at 4K and +68% at 1440p over the 980 Ti)

RTX 2080 - $700 (20.9.2018) - 8% faster than 1080 Ti, same price, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 2080 Ti - $1000 (27.9.2018) - 29% faster than 1080 Ti, $300 more expensive, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 3080 - $??? (9.2020?) - 20% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

RTX 3080 Ti - $??? (9.2020?) - 35%-40% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

Performance figures are from techpowerup.com

Given the whole 2 years from Turing to Ampere, 20% is hardly impressive. Pricing will decide the fate of these cards. Also, the second time Nvidia left performance on the table by going with an inferior node, like with Turing.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Same, and mostly playing at 1440p 165hz I cant say I’m really itching to upgrade just yet. There isn’t much the Ti can’t handle.

Really need a 32” 4k 144hz monitor that doesn’t require a kidney to purchase to warrant an upgrade but haven’t seen anything in terms of that spec.
I play on a 38” ultrawide @ 3840 x 1600 at 165Hz and don’t feel the need to upgrade.
Based on...what? One generation?

Take a look. One of these generations is not like the others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...i_the_rtx_3080_has_about_20_increase/fyrfh3a/

I remember paying almost £500 for a top of the line 580. Now the top spec cards are anywhere up to £1200. I fully expecting to bend over if I want the latest.

Soldato
I play on a 38” ultrawide @ 3840 x 1600 at 165Hz and don’t feel the need to upgrade.

I remember paying almost £500 for a top of the line 580. Now the top spec cards are anywhere up to £1200. I fully expecting to bend over if I want the latest.

You seem to be forgetting multiple generations if you think Turing's price/performance is normal.

Associate

Very good question and the answer is because drip feeding performance in a cosy cartel while raking in enormous profits as a loyal fan base sing your praises while paying through the nose for marginal performance gains is the smart business strategy. You can rest assured a less than smart consumer strategy will mean your fan base assume a bovine mentality about ever increasing prices for diminishing returns and argue in favour of your strategy. Factor in lack of competition and you can keep playing the same record for years 'mowing the lawn' of new money from new consumers who don't know any better and people with very short memories.

Soldato
It's the most recent generation though so we don't know yet if it's an outlier or the new norm.

I agree. We are all guessing.

I just think multiple generations of progress carry more weight than a single generation of stagnation, when it comes to making guesses about the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom