Compressing brake piston

Caporegime
Worst case scenario you can't get the pads in how undrivable would the car be without a brake on a rear wheel?
Its a hydraulic system, you wont have any brakes! The piston will probably fall out of the caliper the first time you brake. Scary question to ask to be honest. So what about unlimited breakdown is just creating a risk to other drivers as you break down on the road.

Give it to a mechanic, he will have a torque wrench too.

Soldato
OP
Its a hydraulic system, you wont have any brakes! The piston will probably fall out of the caliper the first time you brake. Scary question to ask to be honest. So what about unlimited breakdown is just creating a risk to other drivers as you break down on the road.

I'll be fine I'm over exaggerating.

Associate
You're asking if it's fine to drive with defective brakes?

More than two decades ago I worked on the brakes for my car. It was my first car. I didn't know what I was doing and thought it was all fine. My brakes worked. Until a caliper bolt fell out. My caliper rotated on the other bolt snapping the brake line meaning I had NO brakes. Every press of the pedal just squirted brake fluid out over the wheel. Handbrake and sheer luck stopped me crashing into anything.

So yes, torque your bolts up properly. And don't ask about fitting the brakes back without pads.

Soldato
Worst case scenario you can't get the pads in how undrivable would the car be without a brake on a rear wheel?

:D:D

I'm all for people having a go at DIY on the car, but a) make sure you have the right tools before you start - maintenance & repairs go much smoother with the correct tools, b) make sure you know what it is you're doing. There's got to be a million youtube videos that talk you through step-by-step how to change brake pads + disks.

Soldato
OP

I won't be driving until I'm 100% satisfied it's all done properly. I would never drive on 3 brakes I was curious if it was possible. I like to do my research first before I embark on anything.

I'll be buying a torque wrench.

Caporegime
Often understanding fundamentals is a better way to approach rather than search google.

The very operation of a hydraulic system means you don't understand it if asking the question of not having the pad in. You are risking other people if you even consider driving about in an unsafe car. Having no pad is physically the same is cutting the brake line, but the dual circuit is a safety feature which would help you out if you lost pressure on one side of the system.

Be aware though, many rear calipers have a habit of seizing. not sure what car this is? A lot of Honda's have an awful rear caliper for UK, the seal lets water and salt in and the steel piston corrodes. ALso good practice to make sure the new pads fit in the carrier well, use a bit of grease to help slide. Don't just jam them in, some pads often need a light filing or the carrier cleaning up of any corrosion. Make sure the sliders are free too - again these can be regressed for optimum use.

Rear handbrake shouldn't need adjusting, but good to check this is working freely too

Don't let the caliper hang off the brake pipe either.

Soldato
Dont forget to clamp the flexible brake pipe and open the bleed nipple to make it easier to push the piston back and stop any damage to the brake master cylinder.

I've always done this since one Haynes manual for a car I owned said if dirty fluid is pushed back up the brake line it can foul the abs sensor, though admittedly that I've no idea if that's the case on most cars or just this one.

At the very least changing pads this way makes bleeding easier because clean fluid will come through quicker.

Soldato
Exactly the kit I've got too. Had it for over 5 years now and while it's a little rusty, it still works perfectly. Done many cars with it, well worth the £15 I paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom