Ghost of Tsushima - July 17th

Soldato
Just finished it. Mostly very good game. Probably give it around an 8/10.

Far too derivative to be the masterpiece some people seem to think it is, and some badly outdated gameplay, but great fun mostly. Amazingly well presented with a story that whilst missing some of the impact it was aiming for is perfectly serviceable for this kind of game imo. The setting is the real star of the show. One of the most beautiful gameworlds I've played. Maybe second behind Red Dead 2 for me.

Edit- Yes! Extra points for paying attention to post campaign play. A welcome surprise

Last edited:
Soldato
Been thinking more on it and imo this game is ripe for dlc and I'd be incredibly surprised if we didn't get some. I'm basing this on 3 factors

1. They have paid attention to post campaign. You can continue playing after the campaign ends and no content is blocked. All quests remain open.
2. Mythic tales. Incredibly easy to just add more of these whenever they feel like. They copied pretty much everything else fron Assassin's Creed so think how they kept adding new 'tales of Greece' to Odyssey.
3. There is a settlement in act 2 that is underdeveloped. When you get there it seems like there will be more content and I think one of the characters even says something along the lines of I hope we work together in the future but it never happens.

With how the side characters story arcs are done they could even add another character with a story going all the way through quite easily.

Seems like the game is primed for more content!

Associate
I'm not someone who usually gets DLC for games, but I would welcome it in this case. I enjoyed this for the entire 50 hours that I have played it so far.

Associate
7 out of ten for me alright at times but other times really boring open world tropes overused can't complain bought it for 45 quid sold it for 40.

Associate
Just finished it. Mostly very good game. Probably give it around an 8/10.

Far too derivative to be the masterpiece some people seem to think it is, and some badly outdated gameplay, but great fun mostly. Amazingly well presented with a story that whilst missing some of the impact it was aiming for is perfectly serviceable for this kind of game imo. The setting is the real star of the show. One of the most beautiful gameworlds I've played. Maybe second behind Red Dead 2 for me.

Edit- Yes! Extra points for paying attention to post campaign play. A welcome surprise
Don't you think the last boss was really easy no need to get all the extra health and powerups i agree the graphics are the best part the voice acting a bit too wooden for me worse than a Hugh Grant film.

Soldato
Too many cutscenes and loading windows. Can’t wait for next generation..

'Next gen' really frustrates me. It just looks like things will be a bit shinier. How about gameplay goes next gen, not just graphics. This game looks amazing, but we are doing things we were doing 10-15 years ago. For all the shininess most games nowadays just boil down travelling to the next combat encounter. I'm getting bored tbh.

There are games coming out soon that 'look' amazing hut watching gameplay from them I just find myself rolling my eyes. Only games, coming out that look like they might be pushing things forward are Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk imo. With a nod to Wasteland 3 which looks to possibly be brining some new things to the table and the next Assassin's Creed which looks to be bringing lots of different types of gameplay in to one game, which I like a lot.

Last edited:
Soldato
'Next gen' really frustrates me. It just looks like things will be a bit shinier. How about gameplay goes next gen, not just graphics. This game looks amazing, but we are doing things we were doing 10-15 years ago. For all the shininess most games nowadays just boil down travelling to the next combat encounter. I'm getting bored tbh.

There are games coming out soon that 'look' amazing hut watching gameplay from them I just find myself rolling my eyes. Only games, coming out that look like they might be pushing things forward are Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk imo. With a nod to Wasteland 3 which looks to possibly be brining some new things to the table and the next Assassin's Creed which looks to be bringing lots of different types of gameplay in to one game, which I like a lot.

I get that, I wasn't referring to shinier graphics. It's more around load times, either in your face ones or hidden ones. For example, devs use lifts and characters crawling via gaps as a way to load data behind the scenes. With the increase in performance of storage, it's these things that will start to disappear. Due to consoles being the lowest denominator, these hidden loading techniques start effecting PC as well, even where fast storage is available.

Soldato
Too many cutscenes and loading windows. Can’t wait for next generation..

You can play the entire game without any loading screens if you don't fast travel and the fast travel load times are some of the fastest of this gen (they slowed them down so you can actually read the tips) which is even more impressive given not on an ssd. Bit of an odd issue to levy at this particular game.

Soldato
I've completed the campaign but I still don't feel I'm finished with the game tbh. Not that it was short, but I could do with abit more. I do still have the companion tales to finish which I'm doing now.

For me I feel like the third act should have been longer. There was no reason to explore most of the northern area. Its mostly still uncovered for me.

Associate
Picked this up over the weekend after coming back on holiday. Enjoying it so far and things like picking stuff up with animations/having to get off horse is great and the fast travel times are crazy fast. Graphics wise, I feel torn. I feel like the E3 demo was a lot more polished. In some parts when playing I do stop and think "wow, that looks amazing", but then other times I feel like it's almost PS3 level; especially rocks and mountains which could use a texture update.

I'm only a few hours in and have already seen a couple of bugs and glitches, which are set off just doing the main missions. With how they talked about how much effort they put in, it seems weird that these are still in there.

Combat is awesome, although I'm terrible at it and have died a thousand times already just playing on normal. I feel that when I unlock a few more things it will be easier. It does make it very rewarding though.

Soldato
Combat is awesome, although I'm terrible at it and have died a thousand times already just playing on normal. I feel that when I unlock a few more things it will be easier. It does make it very rewarding though.

I dove straight into playing on hard and I feel your pain.
I died a load at the beginning.
But like any open world game, once you upgrade and get a bunch of stuff and abilities, you'll be striding around the island of Tsushima like an untouchable God in no time :)

Soldato
Completed it and really enjoyed it! Have done all the Tales, there is just the mongol camps left to do. But think I am done with it now, Agree that some times it looks fantastic and others it looks really poor in places? And the gameplay is superb and satisfying, but I guess isn't really anything new from what we have seen before.

I think the Japanese setting is great and glad I played it now, it did feel like an Assassins Creed game all the way through, I kept telling myself it wasnt but deep down it really was :D

Wouldn't surprise me if it received Game of the year

Soldato
Completed it the other day, I think I might push for the platinum (done) as I only need to follow a few more foxes and find some records to get it.

Really enjoyed it but sometimes it annoyed me with the camera during combat and half of the ghost abilities I didn't seem to use.

I'd give it a 8/10

Last edited:
Associate

Watching them side by side highlights the differences way more. E3 seemed a lot more moody and atmospheric as well as better lighting and textures. Retail seems a little oversaturated and the contrast between different textures, grass and mud for example, is a lot more jarring.

Some bits do look very similar, but I would love to be able to play through the game with it looking like the original trailer.

Soldato
Hmmm.....
I have achieved Ghost of Tsushima status, so I can no longer gain technique points.
Yet I have 1 more power-up to buy for completion for 2 points.
Seems to be a problem :(
Sounds like you’re missing a quest that rewards a technique point? Like a Mongol camp or something?

Back
Top Bottom