**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Plus the Nord very well may have better battery life but OnePlus has been called out as the worst Android OEM for overly aggressive background limit policies.

Well... I'm finding the battery on the Nord isn't as good as I would have hoped... but I ran 'DontKillMyApp' and it scored 100%, suggesting it's not limiting background apps and services?! This rather surprised me. It still wont pass the internet connection to my Wear OS watch, which is kind of a deal breaker for me anyway.

Soldato
Android 11 beta 3 went up last night. Enable smooth display in developer options for an ultra smooth but battery draining experience. After doing that I'm finding the keyboard effects really trippy!

Associate
It's literally the exact same chip with a 125hz higher maximum frequency on the GPU. It won't be at 125hz higher all the time considering Adreno dynamically changes frequency unless something requests it to be either set to high or low via the cl_qcom_perf_hint extension.

Plus the Nord very well may have better battery life but OnePlus has been called out as the worst Android OEM for overly aggressive background limit policies.

Not had a problem with RAM management on my OnePlus Nord.

Soldato
Performance is subjective on the mid range processors and dependent on the type of user. For day to day tasks you should be more than fine with the 4a but it won't be cutting edge blazing fast needless to say. Camera would be better yes. Battery should be good and has been reported to be decent. Again for the price I would say you would be more than happy.

Yeh thats fair enough, I hate Samsungs version of Android and hate all the Bixby rubbish and Samsung built in apps so have been wanting to get back to stock android for a while and if the camera is better than the S9 then thats a winner too. I don't play any games on my phone at all. Just use it for email, browsing, whatsapp, camera, spotify and youtube.....oh and the occasional call :D

Soldato
I have a budget phone atm so looking forward to the 4a, I used to be one of those contract+flagship people but now I'm a sim only (£10) and buy phone outright. I do not need an expensive phone and I enjoyed my original pixel so the 4a is priced nicely and a huge upgrade for me.

Soldato
MKBHD kind of damns the 4a with faint praise (imo) and says the device isn't as snappy as it might be. He expressed worries that long-term it might not hold up. I have seen one or two other similar mentions.

Associate
lol, yet literally everybody else has said there hasn't been any issues with the performance of the phone, including playing games.

Guess you'll choose the review/s that suits your agenda I guess.

Soldato
lol, yet literally everybody else has said there hasn't been any issues with the performance of the phone, including playing games.

Guess you'll choose the review/s that suits your agenda I guess.

You seem awfully defensive about anything even remotely negative relating to the Pixel 4a.

It looks like a great device. If I was looking for a £349 phone, I'd seriously consider buying one. That doesn't mean I won't discuss flaws as pointed out by reviewers.

Associate
You seem awfully defensive about anything even remotely negative relating to the Pixel 4a.

It looks like a great device. If I was looking for a £349 phone, I'd seriously consider buying one. That doesn't mean I won't discuss flaws as pointed out by reviewers.

Can't get defensive about something I don't possess...

Just seems to me that there is a reluctance to just accept "you know what, Google did good this time". When MKBHD is big on high refresh rate screens, of course he's going to notice the difference on a 60hz screen. Does that make the device any less good? Not to me.

People can say what they want - makes no issue to me, but when the overwhelming majority of reviewers claim no performance issues with the device, I'm going to take the majority.

Soldato
Just seems to me that there is a reluctance to just accept "you know what, Google did good this time". When MKBHD is big on high refresh rate screens, of course he's going to notice the difference on a 60hz screen. Does that make the device any less good? Not to me.

They did do well this time, except for the stupidly long delay in releasing it. I didn't like MKBHD's review of the phone at all - it has essentially the same camera as the 4 (which he raves about), but apparently the 4a camera is only 'good/great' for a £350 device, which seems very inconsistent. If it's a £349 phone with a £1000 phone camera, reviewers should say so, but most have shied away from making that exact comparison and always bring in the price.

And yes you can get defensive about something you don't possess :p

Caporegime
The deal breaker for me is it not having basic things, which should be common place now, I would love to have wireless charging and for it to be fully water proof like my GS 8 from 3 years ago.... even if it meant for an extra £20 on top....

The sad thing is, the pixel 5 will most likely have wireless charging and be water proof but chances are the screen will be larger than 6" too.....

With Samsung confirming 3 years of guaranteed support/big updates from the gs 10 onward, the likes of a GS 10e are far more attractive again, as well as maybe a second hand GS 20

Back
Top Bottom