Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Caporegime
OP
I'm returning mine :( , I understood there would be compromises to get an IPS ultrawide at this price point but for it's picture quality to be substantially lower than my 6 year old, half the price, PLS screen is unacceptable.
I think the only way to recommend this screen is you must have ultrawide and your budget doesn't allow for a more expensive one.

I'll be sticking with my samsung for now I think ;/

Got any photo comparisons?

It might not be as good but it shouldn't be that bad, unless faulty.....

My 29um65 had a bit more punch to it especially in darker areas but on the whole this iiyama is better.

Associate
Just look at this thread, someone have good units, others less so.

All we can conclude from this thread is that some *think* they have good units and some *think* they don't. I wonder if we lined them all up whether they would broadly be the same? I can understand the panel lottery when it comes to dead pixels - they happen - but I can't understand such variation in colour, contrast, etc.

Associate
Mine arrived today. It's early days and i don't want to draw conclusions until using it for a week or two. Right now I really like it, the colours look good to me, on-par if not slightly better than my older ips ultrawide. The whites have a hint of yellow but it's not too bad. no apparent dead pixels but time will tell if that changes. Brightness isn't very high but i usually turn it down anyway to reduce eye strain. Coming from 60Hz to 144Hz, it's a huge upgrade and even the mouse movement in Windows looks much smoother than I expected.

Gsync/Freesync was easy to configure and the matte design is great. My older monitor used glossy plastic a lot and it became irritating.

As other have mentioned, the OSD is very clunky and difficult to use. However, i dealt with it and navigated around the options fairly quickly. This might be because my last monitor had an even worst OSD!

Clearly, it's not a 1K monitor but i think it pushes well above its weight.

Caporegime
OP
All we can conclude from this thread is that some *think* they have good units and some *think* they don't. I wonder if we lined them all up whether they would broadly be the same? I can understand the panel lottery when it comes to dead pixels - they happen - but I can't understand such variation in colour, contrast, etc.

Yup there does seem to be quite a bit of variance in the panels going by reviews and users calibration reports i.e. some say warm is the best colour temp preset, others say normal and others find user mode the best.

After messing around with mine, I have decided to stick to user with RGB all at 100, not as warm/yellow as normal or as cool as "warm" preset :/

The monitor buttons and OSD is definitely my main hate too, thankfully, don't have to use it much :p

Associate
After messing around with mine, I have decided to stick to user with RGB all at 100, not as warm/yellow as normal or as cool as "warm" preset :/

As I mentioned above, my calibration device made minimal changes from User 100/100/100 setting so if there is any consistency between panels (and I completely accept there might not be), this would appear to be the "correct" setting.

But yeah, the OSD with its 2 second time-out is awful, especially when you consider that the equivalent Asus (or Acer) panel has a software based control panel. You just have to pay another £200 for that privilege!

Caporegime
OP
As I mentioned above, my calibration device made minimal changes from User 100/100/100 setting so if there is any consistency between panels (and I completely accept there might not be), this would appear to be the "correct" setting.

But yeah, the OSD with its 2 second time-out is awful, especially when you consider that the equivalent Asus (or Acer) panel has a software based control panel. You just have to pay another £200 for that privilege!

You can change the timeout, I have mine set to 30 seconds.

Associate
For those complaining about a lack of punch, I've just had a play with the iStyle settings and putting this on "standard" does actually make the monitor stand out a lot more. So I've saved my calibrated profile as a user profile for colour-sensitive work (which given I'm colour blind is somewhat ironic) and would probably game on "Standard". The Sport and FPS settings are just weird.

Associate
So it turns out the picture quality is awful due to Mac OS (Catalina) doing something, once I plugged it into my personal Windows machine the picture was at least on par with my older monitor.

anyone any idea's what could be wrong? How do I reset any profiling that is being applied?

Aside from that, my two issues that I'm not sure I can live with.. 1) The matt finish is too visible for my liking 2) Backlight bleed

The bleed from the bottom right, above the buttons is very visible to the naked eye. both monitors are at 50% brightness
https://imgur.com/gallery/wXKEqwl

Soldato
So it turns out the picture quality is awful due to Mac OS (Catalina) doing something, once I plugged it into my personal Windows machine the picture was at least on par with my older monitor.

anyone any idea's what could be wrong? How do I reset any profiling that is being applied?

Aside from that, my two issues that I'm not sure I can live with.. 1) The matt finish is too visible for my liking 2) Backlight bleed

The bleed from the bottom right, above the buttons is very visible to the naked eye. both monitors are at 50% brightness
https://imgur.com/gallery/wXKEqwl

That BLB looks horrendous, nothing like that on my IPS.

Associate
Just checked the backlight bleed on mine...

gj5kuZ_YsNemkxgcC7XcdlJ47FCo72DnY9zQc1WlrGeRI_bknx4DkIIuCmta0Xgfu9ORoSGKTLmpbP_NCPks-YZ-IwAunSTL6lx26YH3Y4uzqcaU9R3gudhj0BLjn0HdFapnKK_5rZ5iAuPJLcQFlTGeG5haO_ZG0DrE56OYcIo2XyS3V1zLrlAhkTxP4OZ9GaySBCbg3uejT1WYJMjU3hmxBVGgkY2gRfufzFRYSD9xievkEAY5UNRwmwVWEaH56lMebHXbA2cyFaldBTdSN8ofFApJPGNKgN4pkKNxeVvSyRIJLa_69J-TkxGmkIKO-TZzqVcO504X0KlUF2KML4gRAlJc4t7sjOQQLy-5crtOEJ4HdvElapaxATw_0il2synd9b-ufjrZLtva9n3fbUi_k8F-UM5TBmP7djQHGir18qaIX93arPK5pzXbAni3YKb8L3sAeX2zZ0ZFgjV-_M_Wxg_f9b-PHwemO3ENbgpkIM9l5_bUbCafs1jIjAwOodlJMvvN39EeVNgJM1lnvFj737xElFicjTCjzdywhRdRTgxenO0uMxmEfgYCjTSLCKOELObLDgVBTa5XEqIQ7ta64Aiw7FUGYf7IXOEVvfVSj8FdvkW3bP_zydAMkwJjguM7l941H9jYDEKK4nZoMF9MQQu8blRsGHh9kk1yGLdtYLw3CA1NFzSX1j43=w1738-h1303-no

Soldato
When photographing back light bleed you need to change the exposure to what your eyes can see. The camera always massively exaggerates it by default.

Caporegime
OP
When photographing back light bleed you need to change the exposure to what your eyes can see. The camera always massively exaggerates it by default.

This.

Although having gone through my fair share of UW monitors and the hassle of exchanges, that doesn't look great.

Associate
Is backlight bleed, that's visible to your eye, a defect that is grounds for a return?

I ask because if I return just because I don't like it then I have to pay for shipping.

Soldato
In my experience, new panels are more susceptible to it. None of my old thick LCDs ever suffered from it. That said those will have been much smaller e.g. 20” and below.

Had loads of issues with larger, thinner, newer screens. I guess it’s much more difficult to edge light a huge screen evenly.

Hopefully when full array back lighting is standard it should no longer be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom