Need Help Vauxhall Damage

Soldato
So you entered into the transaction in January and only took delivery of it recently due to various delays.

The engineer highlighted the issue with the clutch and took the other photos you've attached, however, he didn't spot any sign of repairs (it was the person changing the lightbulb that did). You had the lightbulb changed whilst waiting for the engineer's report, which once you had received, you tried to exercise your right to reject the vehicle and stopped driving it.

That's my interpretation of the above.

What you can and can't do will depend on the agreement, the finance company may afford you greater privileges than you would have otherwise. There's bound to be something on distant selling, consumer rights etc that may address this too.

If seriously worried I'd get a solicitor involved rather than this forum. For what it's worth, a relative of mine did this after spotting a bad repair job after buying the car from a private seller and he was able to get a fair bit of money back on the purchase.

Man of Honour
OK I think I understand the order of events now:

January - You bought the car. The car was now in your possession and being driven.

February - Problem with clutch. Took it to a garage who confirmed the clutch was faulty. The picture is from that clutch inspection but the mechanic didn't say anything about a collision repair. --- you successfully reject the car but it isn't collected due to COVID and other issues ---

July(?)
- You notice a headlight bulb has gone and arrange for a different mechanic to change it. He mentions that there are signs of previous front end damage.

July / August - The original garage (or finance company?) finally collect the car. It has been driven less than 100 miles. The finance company say there is evidence of front end damage and are saying it was caused by you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes thats the order of events! Apart from in February it wasn’t taken to a garage an independent engineer sent by my the finance company stated that the clutch had problems which would have been present at the time of the sale.

Also the car was bought at 48110 miles at the time of the inspection in February I had did 993 miles. After the inspection whilst awaiting on the outcome I drove it another 100 miles. After this I didn’t drive it, apart from the time I went to get a headlight as I didn’t want to use the vehicle if I was rejecting it.

OK I think I understand the order of events now:

January - You bought the car. The car was now in your possession and being driven.

February - Problem with clutch. Took it to a garage who confirmed the clutch was faulty. The picture is from that clutch inspection but the mechanic didn't say anything about a collision repair. --- you successfully reject the car but it isn't collected due to COVID and other issues ---

July(?)
- You notice a headlight bulb has gone and arrange for a different mechanic to change it. He mentions that there are signs of previous front end damage.

July / August - The original garage (or finance company?) finally collect the car. It has been driven less than 100 miles. The finance company say there is evidence of front end damage and are saying it was caused by you.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair you shouldn't have driven it once you rejected it. I have rejected a car and this was stated in all the places I looked for advice. If you started the claim before 30 days you will have been entitled to a full refund regardless of when it was picked up. Telling them you have driven it since and that it is accident damaged has opened a can of worms.

Associate
OP
UPDATE THEY SAID THAT THE CAR WING HAS BEEN DAMGED ON THE FRONT AND PUT BACK TOGETHER NOT CORRECT.

THEY ADMITTED THERE WAS A CLEAR GAP IN THE BONNET WHICH I STATED TO THE FINANCE, AS THEY HAVE ADDMITTED THE GAP WOULDNT THAT BE CAUSED BY FEPIAR JOB ITSELF IN THAT AREA.

Caporegime
To be fair you shouldn't have driven it once you rejected it. I have rejected a car and this was stated in all the places I looked for advice. If you started the claim before 30 days you will have been entitled to a full refund regardless of when it was picked up. Telling them you have driven it since and that it is accident damaged has opened a can of worms.

Easier said then done when it's your source of food and income. Espically when it was a difficult time to buy another and renting for months would've cost £££.

Man of Honour
UPDATE THEY SAID THAT THE CAR WING HAS BEEN DAMGED ON THE FRONT AND PUT BACK TOGETHER NOT CORRECT.

THEY ADMITTED THERE WAS A CLEAR GAP IN THE BONNET WHICH I STATED TO THE FINANCE, AS THEY HAVE ADDMITTED THE GAP WOULDNT THAT BE CAUSED BY FEPIAR JOB ITSELF IN THAT AREA.
GOOD LUCK WITH FEPAIR JOB SAD TO HEAR NOT CORRECT

Associate
OP
Gosh so much grammar police here I use an iPhone so it was auto corrected to that, besides I moved here for abroad a year ago! English is a second language and it’s better then some peoples here! I think I’ve come far in 11 months!

Back
Top Bottom