Mulan

Caporegime
Lol

23 quid on the TV at home plus the subscription? No thanks.

Cinema is 4.75 a ticket
1 pound parking
4 pounds petrol
And a good evening out

Total stream cost 30 quid
Total cinema cost 15 quid

Stick it Disney

Soldato
Too pricey.

Only those who really must see it will pay that, everyone else who has a vague interest won't spend that money and then you have those who will just find a copy..

This thing will be pirated within hours I'd imagine.

They need to find a balance where people won't bother to look for it else where.

Caporegime
Can see this being a good movie but a box office bomb due to nobody wanting to pay $30 to watch it at home
Considering the box office will be next to non-existent due to Covid-19 some will pay the $30 to watch it, especially if they get to keep it. A family trip to the cinema open some places is £10 or more for an adult ticket, popcorn, drinks etc and it can easily be £50+. Compare that to £6 and £30 to watch it as many times as you like and many will bite. D+ has over 50 million subscribers already. If only 20% of those pay the $30 that’s.....300 million dollars. And it’s all Disney’s. No distribution, no cut for the cinema itself, it all belongs to the house of mouse. For Disney to make that in cinema sales you’d likely be looking at double that. Not to mention some may subscribe to D+ for the first time to see it too.

Soldato
Trolls 2 was a resounding success on home rental, taking in $100 million in the first few weeks. This was more than the 5 month theatrical run made on the first Trolls movie.

Soldato
$30 is a lot. But it strikes me as a bit of a "rock and a hard place" moment. Artemis Fowl, Onward and Hamilton cost Disney a combined $400m. They launched straight on to Disney+. Mulan cost another $200m. Then there's Soul and Black Widow, likely another $300-$350m between them.

Disney+ is ~$70/year. To break even on the cost of these projects, moving them on to Disney+ is going to need to generate ~14m extra annual subscribtions. To replace the profit they would have made at the box office, they'd need to generate far more new subs. The Lion King took $1.65bn at the Box Office. Captain Marvel took $1.13bn. Coco took $807m. Obviously Disney only get a cut of this revenue, but it shows the scale of the problem. If they stick all of this year's releases on Disney+, they might break even. They might even make a little profit. But they won't come even remotely close to making the sort of money they would have made, without Covid.

I'm not sure charging $30 for Mulan is the right answer. But I guess they've got to experiment. Clearly they can't release every movie on to Disney+ for "free", and they also can't keep delaying releases.

Last edited:
Soldato
Disney can shove this and anything else right up their fast hairy *****
lol I don't understand the hate for the studios that are doing this. They have product, they need to sell it to stay afloat. Did you get all aggressive at the restaurants that were forced to do takeaway only during lockdown? It's not the service that you'd normally pay for, but it's the best they can do :confused: :rolleyes:

Cinema is 4.75 a ticket
1 pound parking
4 pounds petrol
And a good evening out

Total stream cost 30 quid
Total cinema cost 15 quid

Stick it Disney
And your cinema ticket is nearly half the national average FYI. If you did the maths for a family of 3 at £7.50/ticket, plus petrol, parking, snacks then you're hitting £30 easily. I don't deny, $30 seems a bit much considering the other PVOD prices were $20. But you have to remember they're catering to families here, not individuals.

Trolls 2 was a resounding success on home rental, taking in $100 million in the first few weeks. This was more than the 5 month theatrical run made on the first Trolls movie.
Stop making perfect sense :p I don't think anyone in this thread is listening, only the Disney execs fortunately...

Soldato
I think that's it really, they need to find the correct balance and will only do that by experimenting.

Who knows? People may have a burning desire to watch Mulan and will happily pay it.

Soldato
Also this made me laugh; https://deadline.com/2020/08/french...est-disneys-decision-skip-cinemas-1203005960/ :o

The other part I forgot to mention is that after Universal released Trolls 2 and made a moderate success of it, it gave them the leverage over AMC. Remember when AMC banned all Universal movies worldwide? That worked out real well didn't it. Now Universal got a deal which reduces the window to 17 days, down from 90. A massive win for the studio. It means any stinkers that die a death in a week can go straight to streaming whereas previously they wouldn't have been "allowed".

I'm almost positive Disney are playing hardball here by initially not allowing it to play in theatres. They'll capitalise on the desperation of cinema owners and offer them the movie nearer the time; with terms that suit the studio much better going forward (like Universal).

Caporegime
lol I don't understand the hate for the studios that are doing this. They have product, they need to sell it to stay afloat. Did you get all aggressive at the restaurants that were forced to do takeaway only during lockdown? It's not the service that you'd normally pay for, but it's the best they can do :confused: :rolleyes:

And your cinema ticket is nearly half the national average FYI. If you did the maths for a family of 3 at £7.50/ticket, plus petrol, parking, snacks then you're hitting £30 easily. I don't deny, $30 seems a bit much considering the other PVOD prices were $20. But you have to remember they're catering to families here, not individuals.

Stop making perfect sense :p I don't think anyone in this thread is listening, only the Disney execs fortunately...

It will be interesting for sure. To see if it works out . Personally I hope it doesn't as it will cut me off from Disney films. And more studios to follow.

Hopefully it pans out that there are two demographics. Families that this works for (cinema is so expensive for familes) but that those of us without kids or who like the cinema also have that option.

Wonder how much volume cinemas can lose and still stay profitable

Soldato
Hopefully it pans out that there are two demographics. Families that this works for (cinema is so expensive for familes) but that those of us without kids or who like the cinema also have that option.
Yep. The argument here is that are already two demographics; those who go to the cinema and those who don't. Studios have long been arguing that a shorter window would open a new market of people that don't generally go to the cinema. If they can catch all those people up in the first-release 'cinema' marketing yet allow them to rent from home at an inflated price. That means more dollar ya'll...

Caporegime
Yep. The argument here is that are already two demographics; those who go to the cinema and those who don't. Studios have long been arguing that a shorter window would open a new market of people that don't generally go to the cinema. If they can catch all those people up in the first-release 'cinema' marketing yet allow them to rent from home at an inflated price. That means more dollar ya'll...

Indeed.

Fine balancing act and Disney hold a lot of the cards!

7/10 of top grossing films in 2019 were Disney.
Cinemas beware

Permabanned
As a family of 4 it costs us around £40-50 quid for a Cinema trip. However I think they may have priced it a bit too much for me.

Cant say I miss the cinema "experience" much, picture quality is better at home, no rustling, noise, waiting through 8 hours of adverts.

Soldato
I could be wrong but this seems like a desperate move by Disney. I can't help feel that they realise they have a potential turkey on their hands and want to at least try to get some money via Disney+ as they think it'll bomb at cinemas (open or not).

Soldato
Trolls 2 was $20, Mulan is $30. It's a new market and they're seeing what works but I'd rather stick with my unlimited cinema access at £12/mo for new releases and standard subscription for back catalogues.

Soldato
Indeed.

Fine balancing act and Disney hold a lot of the cards!

7/10 of top grossing films in 2019 were Disney.
Cinemas beware

Cinema is a fun day out for the kids, watching something on TV, to see a movie and pay £30 is simply too bloody expensive.
I really want to see this Mulan film, but I'm not going to pay more than the cinema would cost to see it once on my home TV.

Caporegime
Essentially they are limiting this to

1 - Families with kids
2 - Die hard Disney fans

it will rule out people like me, who would have watched it at the cinema but not going to pay 3x the cost. This will also rule out all the couples who don’t live together.

I guess they have crunched some numbers and decided this is the right amount to charge. Vs if they had waited it to open and with restrictions in numbers in a showing.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Don't think I will be returning to the pictures for a while even if it was open. Not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom