When are you going fully electric?

But like I said, the finance agreement will probably say you have to stick rigidly to the 12k mile service plan (and afaik it says 12k miles in the car's manual). You don't own the car on finance, so don't get to decide.

PCP agreements say you must follower the manufacturers service schedule. They do this as with an ICE car if you had it back unserviced it will be significantly devalued in value.
Thankfully the EU passed legislation that you did not have to have a manufacturers service, but any capable mechanic can follow the manufacturers schedule. I guess the one thing you could complain about is that this is now harder to find than historically.

Tesla recommend all these items. Just like ICE manufacturers recommend things
My mini used to recommend all sots of things like under body checks and brake fluid checks etc, I used to ignore them all, it didn't affect the value at all.

I really doubt many/any people looking to buy a tesla are going to care and hence it wont affect the value, and hence the PCP company equally wont care.

Tesla also recommend rotating the wheels under their service section so are we saying we think the PCP company would be asking for proof of wheel rotation?

My car says to change the brake fluid at 3 years and every 2 years afterwards, I wont do this, I will get it tested and only changed if it needs it.

In a previous job as MD I had the fleet team reporting to me, we leased hundreds of vehicles and none had things like brake fluid changed and it never ever was an issue. Yet we did have a few morons who somehow managed to ignore the fleet company and not get the correct servicing done (they would advise if their system flagged up a time interval service was needed as a mileage based one had not been done in the timeframe) and we did get bills for this.

Soldato
It does but unless you do more than average miles you hit the time requirement anyway.

Tesla sell a service plan which I seem to remember being oddly expensive. Why is that?
They do? I’ve never seen a service plan for them care to provide a link?

btw they don’t recommend or need servicing regularly as overpriced servicing isn’t part of their business model. Your local BMW dealer needs servicing to survive.

Associate
I drove the Mini E yesterday. It’s great to drive, much like a regular Cooper S, but the range just isn’t there for me. Be interested to see if they do a Clubman or Countryman fully electric with some proper range, I think they’d sell well.

Soldato
Tesla doesn't sell or promote 'service plans' any more. They have recommended service intervals, but nothing that's tied to the warranty. It's made pretty clear on their support page this is how it works.

"If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected if recommended service is not performed."

There are further specifics related to the Model 3 in the user manual, page 191.

Your vehicle should generally be serviced on an as-needed basis. However, Tesla recommends the following maintenance items and intervals, as applicable to your vehicle, to ensure continued reliability and efficiency of your Model 3.

• Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary) or, if the vehicle is used for towing, replace the brake fluidevery 2 years.
• A/C desiccant bag replacement every 6 years
• Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
• Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter
• Rotate tires every 10,000 km or if tread depth difference is 1.5 mm or greater, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well - just back from 500 miles in the highlands over a week. No issues with charging etc in my SR+

CCS in Aberfeldy was a bit hit and miss - worked one day, failed the next - but 22kw chargers there were fine. Plenty of top ups here and there at places we were going to kept us going fine. No stops needed anywhere we weren't already going.

3 pin charge last night for 5 hours to top up for trip home - Already had a drink at the distillery tour so didn't drive to local charger- No problems with that either.

Efficiency jumps up massively in good weather. 106 miles home, used 116 miles rated. 91% efficient. Was in the high 60's/low70's winter time.

Took everything needed for a week self catering, plus wife and 2 kids. Super comfy. Nearly had it a year now and still love it.

Also got my Vehicle Tax reminder in - £0.

Soldato
Nice. Do you know what total cost/equiv MPG you're on now? Presume you're tracking if you know efficiency.

Difference in efficiency between drivers is funny too. My OH just drove an hour this morning and got 118% because she's so light-footed :D. I'm normally around 80-85%.

Soldato
Nice. Do you know what total cost/equiv MPG you're on now? Presume you're tracking if you know efficiency.

Difference in efficiency between drivers is funny too. My OH just drove an hour this morning and got 118% because she's so light-footed :D. I'm normally around 80-85%.
I see no point in being light footed in that car, the cost of additional electricity used is irrelevant as its so cheap.

I can't see it damaging the drivetrain much either unlike an ICE car.

Caporegime
Quite unexpectedly have gone electric. Was shopping around for a replacement for my 5 series saloon and was going to go for a 6GT.

Colleague mentioned NHS lease deals on electric vehicles being extremely cheap so now have an I-Pace on order.

Not quite as flexible as a 6GT but plenty of power, 4 wheel drive, reasonable boot space for a dog. Should be intersting!

Looking forward to largely being free of petrol stations and worrying about economy. Should have enough range that only a handful of times a year it will need charging away from home.

Soldato
I had originally ordered the E-Tron but the best deal had the 71kw battery and that really does suck in terms of efficency.

Winter will be very similar for both, ~160-170 miles at 75MPH, vs. 190 for the iPace in the summer at the same speed. If you average about 55-57MPH then you'll get up to 260 miles in the summer.

EDIT: What home charger are you having installed, if at all?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom