Horizon Zero Dawn

Man of Honour
Now played with mouse and KB and what a difference that makes to combat! It's much more fun fighting the machines this way as you can pull off cool moves better and nip around like you're on skates :D

I have found myself thinking about how to approach enemies now and I've already improved some skill levels for stealth kills. The run slide slow motion aim and silent kill skills especially are thoroughly useful.

The graphics have to say are top notch especially if you find a high vantage point to get a lay of the land.

20200808005649_1.jpg

20200808005422_1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Guess I remembered this game as being better than it is, feels much more like a discount ACreed game the 2nd time around. In terms of rendering the game looks kinda meh, even at 4K. For whatever reason the TAA suffers some severe ghosting issues, and I'm not sure if I never noticed it on the Pro or if they were doing something else (besides it also being CB'ed). Some serious fps drops during rains as well, that can really trip up an otherwise locked setup.

Overall mediocre, and the technical issues don't make me want to put up with it for longer.

GG Sony.

xbrvzUW.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not getting that at all. Mouse movement feels fine - you don't have a gamepad or other controller active and interfering with the controls do you?

No, I don’t keep my controller plugged in. Might just be the early part of the game where you fall into the cave.

As much as I want to play through HZD again I going to wait for a few patches to be released to iron out a few more kinks. Still have some gearing up to do in Destiny and Div2.

Man of Honour
Guess I remembered this game as being better than it is, feels much more like a discount ACreed game the 2nd time around. In terms of rendering the game looks kinda meh, even at 4K. For whatever reason the TAA suffers some severe ghosting issues, and I'm not sure if I never noticed it on the Pro or if they were doing something else (besides it also being CB'ed). Some serious fps drops during rains as well, that can really trip up an otherwise locked setup.

Overall mediocre, and the technical issues don't make me want to put up with it for longer.

GG Sony.

So maybe not the BEST NEWS EVER :p

Mind you, imo AC:Origins and Odyssey are pretty hard to top in the 3rd person arpg genre (I actually prefer both of them over Witcher 3 , mainly because I don't think that W3 has aged well but that's a whole different conversation). Horizon is just a tide over title for me, its only got to last me a few months until AC: Valhalla

Soldato
Bit disappointed with what I'm hearing so far but I think i'll still get it if this game hits some bargain prices.

AS @Tombstone has said, comparing a lot of games to AC: Odyssey they'd end up second best. That game is another class

Man of Honour
Other than having to ALT ENTER when I load the game to work around the full screen bug I am not having any other issues really. For the price I paid it's actually really good fun and quite nice to look at too.

Caporegime
Funny watching youtube clips and seeing screenshots of this on PC.

Even with higher graphic settings etc. it still looks awful compared to when I played the PS 4 version the oled telly in hdr, oh how I despise LCD now!

Soldato
But 60 fps on a decent ultrawide and mouse keyboard is better then a crap 30 fps stutter fest with a controller i can't even hold properly due to having jeremy beadle hands :)

Caporegime
But 60 fps on a decent ultrawide and mouse keyboard is better then a crap 30 fps stutter fest with a controller i can't even hold properly due to having jeremy beadle hands :)

Haha :D

Not wrong though, just hook the PC up to the telly to get the best of both worlds!

Soldato
Other than having to ALT ENTER when I load the game to work around the full screen bug I am not having any other issues really. For the price I paid it's actually really good fun and quite nice to look at too.

I’m not having that problem. Had to set it to full screen on first load up but it’s automatically gone to full screen since then.

Man of Honour
Bit disappointed with what I'm hearing so far but I think i'll still get it if this game hits some bargain prices.

AS @Tombstone has said, comparing a lot of games to AC: Odyssey they'd end up second best. That game is another class

Yeah, Horizon is just a filler arpg for me, to pass arpg time until AC:Valhalla. All I expected from Horizon was a decent arpg, with decent world, decent story and decent graphics and audio. So far its delivered on those expectations. Was never expecting it to rival the latest AC games, it is almost a 4 year old game after all, but decent will do until Valhalla :)

Man of Honour

GG Sony.

xbrvzUW.jpg.png

I would agree that many aspects of gameplay feel much better in AC. Graphically, whilst Zero Dawn looks decent, it runs pathetically for what we're actually seeing onscreen versus other titles. That said, I'm really enjoying it. Great concept, story, soundtrack, sounds, characters.

Yeah, Horizon is just a filler arpg for me, to pass arpg time until AC:Valhalla. All I expected from Horizon was a decent arpg, with decent world, decent story and decent graphics and audio. So far its delivered on those expectations. Was never expecting it to rival the latest AC games, it is almost a 4 year old game after all, but decent will do until Valhalla :)

Yup :)

Soldato
Have to remember that the game is three and a half years old now, doesn't excuse the poor performance and porting issues but graphics have moved on a fair bit since.

Soldato
I played this until gone midnight last night. Not had a game grab me like that for ages, especially as I'm normally playing VR, so 'pancake' games have less appeal to me now.

I had some peformance drops in a couple of places but mostly it works great for me at an acceptable framerate and detail level.

Associate
This keeps crashing, so I requested a refund, only for steam to say no refund as I am over the 14 days period because I pre ordered in June wtf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom