Nuisance Car (video)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Any ideas what can be done about this particular driver/car (in the video) that frequently hoons it down the 30mph road outside our house and has the most intrusive popping exhaust. He does this at all hours, last night at 11pm it scared the **** out of the dog as we had the window open.

There's a local facebook group where people have expressed the same annoyance.

I don't have his number plate yet but shouldn't take long. He's clearly speeding as well.

Soldato
The street my sister lives on had a problem with some chavs doing that. They told the police and one day they were waiting for them.

Some bikers were being a menace as well, they got caught too. One came off his bike while being blocked by a police car, he was last seen being chased down the road by a couple of cops :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP is breaking the law by having his home cctv pointing at a public highway, and he wants to prosecute someone else with this footage? Just lol

OP I suggest you stop curtain twitching and repoint your cctv with in the boundary of the property so you are not breaking the law, and finally find something better to do with your time.

Man of Honour
OP is breaking the law by having his home cctv pointing at a public highway, and he wants to prosecute someone else with this footage? Just lol

OP I suggest you stop curtain twitching and repoint your cctv with in the boundary of the property so you are not breaking the law, and finally find something better to do with your time.

Unless a business not a problem - the only slightly problematic aspect is if someone shares domestic captured footage where individuals are identifiable. It is best practise to have signage but not compulsory.

Associate
Unless a business not a problem - the only slightly problematic aspect is if someone shares domestic captured footage where individuals are identifiable. It is best practise to have signage but not compulsory.

Agreed, however if OP is able to identify the reg, which will subsequently be used to identify the driver he will be in breach.

Don

It looks like a nest doorbell camera. He can hardly repoint it, nor can he possibly see the reg unless he walks out to the road and waits for the car.

It would do my head in that noise too.

Man of Honour

I could be wrong but surely that is a load of tosh, otherwise, Nest and Ring doorbells would be illegal to own.

Also, ITT, OP is jelly

Caporegime
I could be wrong but surely that is a load of tosh, otherwise, Nest and Ring doorbells would be illegal to own.

Also, ITT, OP is jelly

You see who wrote that though, right? Go through some of his stuff, he's.... erm.... interesting.

Do you have any idea where this guy lives? Go pop a few caltrops in his letterbox with a note: "act like a bell end again and we've got loads more of these for you".

Or insult him on Twitter, then the cops will come.

Soldato

Also, ITT, OP is jelly

I think the other poster is referring to the data protection act and guidance from the ICO that states your CCTV should be directed within the boundary of your property unless there is a reason to do otherwise (like you’re the victim of ASB for example).

I’m not aware that the compliance of doorbell cams with the act has been challenged. I think it’s one of those laws that will be rarely enforced judging by the way the Police ask neighbours for CCTV if there is an incident.

Edit - My reading of the guidance is that it isn’t against the law to point your CCTV outside your property boundary https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

Man of Honour

It is not illegal to film anything on the public highway (with a few exceptions).

Man of Honour
I think the other poster is referring to the data protection act and guidance from the ICO that states your CCTV should be directed within the boundary of your property unless there is a reason to do otherwise (like you’re the victim of ASB for example).

I’m not aware that the compliance of doorbell cams with the act has been challenged. I think it’s one of those laws that will be rarely enforced judging by the way the Police ask neighbours for CCTV if there is an incident.

Edit - My reading of the guidance is that it isn’t against the law to point your CCTV outside your property boundary https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

In theory you need justification for how much is covered by the camera - in practise, outside of commercial/business use, outside you doing something dodgy and/or a civil dispute it isn't going to matter much. Likewise in theory you should gain the permission of any identifiable individual in any captured footage before releasing it for public viewing but again unless someone brings a case against you it isn't really significant.

EDIT: Caveat there in that if your camera covers an area of someone's property that isn't visible to the general public, etc. that can change a bit.

Obviously that all changes if you are a business.

Soldato
Any ideas what can be done about this particular driver/car (in the video) that frequently hoons it down the 30mph road outside our house and has the most intrusive popping exhaust. He does this at all hours, last night at 11pm it scared the **** out of the dog as we had the window open.

There's a local facebook group where people have expressed the same annoyance.

I don't have his number plate yet but shouldn't take long. He's clearly speeding as well.

Speak to your local Neighbourhood Policing Team or report it online to TVP: https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/ro/report/asb/asb-b/report-antisocial-behaviour/

The Police can issue Section 59 warnings to people driving like idiots and seize them if caught again in the following 12 months.

Associate
I was under the impression now that every mod must be reported to the insurance company however small and if not the police had the right to seize a vehicle if this was not the case, essentially the car insurance would be void.
How it would work in the real word is anyone's guess. Report the car complain about the noise ask about insurance declaration.

https://www.durham.police.uk/Inform...ll car modifications,social use of a vehicle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom