Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
Pre-baking the dough and cooking it on the bottom oven shelf seems to help a lot
I can understand it makes the process more reliable since dough can often be soft giving handling problems, getting the toppings on, and the ensemble into the oven.

do you have a stone nonetheless ... I think mine was £8, and really the best taste for money/value kitchen utensils.

Associate
I'm not sure this is necessarily in the spirit of the thread, but I've taken to using the world's easiest flatbread recipe for very quick 'pizzas'.
Some flour, enough plain yoghurt to bind, a little baking powder. Roll out, stick on a baking tray, cover in tomato puree and whatever toppings and herbs and spices you want.

We do much the same with equal parts greek yoghurt and flour, roll out into a frying pan, add toppings and heat on the hob till the base is cooked, then under the grill for a few minutes
Definitely not pizza, and our numbers are definitely marked by others in this thread, I've just been emboldened by being not the only one doing this.

Soldato
After watching pizza tv show, was remnded that New york folks often put down thin slices of cheese first, with 100% coverage - Did anyone try this ?

... JS, and Galbani, sell 400g blocks of low moisture moz, that I have previously bought, but I don't think I could cut it thinly enough,
even if you had a meat-slicer ?

Soldato
yes - true ... I did subsequently see the idea of putting the moz in a freezer for 15minutes,

but, subsequently thought about (4 1st time) buying pre-grated moz ... I've always looked down on it(poor shelf life ?), but maybe it's ok

Soldato
Personally have not yet bought either of the caputo pizza flours online - sources mentioned in ooni/panic-buy threads,
I usually mix some wholewheat/meal in, anyway, for texture, and a health concession (are there pizzerias that, do, wholemeal ? never seen one)
tend to stick to the sub £1/kg strong flours from Waitrose, their Canadian, although caputo could be same price in bulk.
The few expensive leckford(owned by Lewis's) stoneground(so probably fresher) flours I've had to buy from Waitrose during lock down make superior tasting/aerated bread, but i didn't try pizza with them.

online stoneground supplier I'd consider (well known becheldre, doesn't seem to be back online post-covid)

https://stoatesflour.co.uk/product/organic-strong-white-flour/ 8kg/£11 +p&P

Man of Honour
What flour are people using? Happy to pick some up Local or buy online if need be.

I've been using the caputo blue. Works very well for the standard ooni pizza dough recipe. Haven't tried it sourdough yet (although have used it for sourdough bread with good results).

Associate
Have had a bit of an obsession with making pizzas since the start of lockdown...

Dough was created using Alex the French Guy Cooking's calculator - 170g flour, 104g water, 5g salt, 0.3g IDY (recipe calls for fresh yeast, I think I'd use less IDY next time).

Tasted fantastic, couldn't go back to store bought pizzas.

Desperate to get a pizza oven, but needs to wait until I move.
As7AjBo

6Vu6VPmh.jpg

Soldato
I think I'm preaching to the choir with this, but someone might find it useful.

I got sent, as part of a birthday present, a fresh pizza kit from Pizza Pilgrims last week. It approached the issue of home ovens not getting hot enough by starting off in a hot frying pan on the stove-top.

It was probably the nicest margherita pizza I've tasted. Although to be fair I wouldn't pick a margherita at a restuarant, so that's probably only comparing to store bought. Nonetheless, the dough itself was really tasty.

Anyway, despite it seeming to be deleterious to their own business, they have the recipe to make your own dough on their website.

https://www.pizzapilgrims.co.uk/2017/06/frying-pan-pizza/

Reckon I will give it a try some time soon. Although I'll probably cut it down and not make 10!

Soldato
With lock down, I got myself a shiny new oven as a step up from the Ooni, does not disappoint. Great to be not constantly chucking pellets in while trying to cook Pizzas.

This weekend, went with a 60% hydration dough with Biga Starter

Started the biga on Thursday morning with an equal mix of 354g Type 00 Flour (Caputo Blue) and 354g Water with 0.8g of fresh yeast. Left to proof for 24 hours at room temperature then made the final dough.

Final Dough was 241g of Water, 638g of Type 00 Flour 1.3g of fresh yeast and 20g of salt. This will make up 6 balls of around 250g each. Left for a further 24 hours before balling up Saturday morning early.

Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce and Chiplote Chili

VqgWV0G.jpg

Home Made Meatballs with Nduja

MiVDJtU.jpg

T2DbSPJ.jpg

Classic Margherita

Fipy411.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The photo doesn't include the new oven ? if it's shiny, it's not brick - give us a clue.

I'm still looking for a Nduja supplier (our waitrose didn't have it, following earlier discussion) who do you use ?

Soldato
The photo doesn't include the new oven ? if it's shiny, it's not brick - give us a clue.

I'm still looking for a Nduja supplier (our waitrose didn't have it, following earlier discussion) who do you use ?

Here you go

p64ZUB2.jpg

Regarding Nduja, I use a couple of local suppliers called supplier called Amato Products and Salvo 1968 both are what you would call traditional wholesalers but since Covid they open to the public. So I usually buy a big sack of flour, a few jars of Nduja, pasta etc at a time. Good bulky buying and helps support local independent businesses.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've spent an absolute fortune on pizza making equipment during lockdown and, whilst my first few attempts weren't great, I've now got to the point where I think what I'm doing is tastier than getting a takeaway. So far I've bought:

Stand mixer for making dough
Custom sized 6mm thick baking steel (£25 from a local laser cutting place!)
Pizza stone
2 wooden peels

I've got an AEG oven with a pyrolytic cleaning function which means it will quite happily cook at 300C so I get fairly decent results. A 12" New York style pizza cooks in about 5-6 minutes. I've been using the dough recipes in a book called The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani and his advice is usually spot on. Most of his doughs take a couple of days in the fridge though, so I might start trying some of the recipes in this thread as it requires a lot of planning in advance!

Soldato
I've spent an absolute fortune on pizza making equipment during lockdown and, whilst my first few attempts weren't great, I've now got to the point where I think what I'm doing is tastier than getting a takeaway. So far I've bought:

Stand mixer for making dough
Custom sized 6mm thick baking steel (£25 from a local laser cutting place!)
Pizza stone
2 wooden peels

I've got an AEG oven with a pyrolytic cleaning function which means it will quite happily cook at 300C so I get fairly decent results. A 12" New York style pizza cooks in about 5-6 minutes. I've been using the dough recipes in a book called The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani and his advice is usually spot on. Most of his doughs take a couple of days in the fridge though, so I might start trying some of the recipes in this thread as it requires a lot of planning in advance!

I have used that book. As a recommendation the recipe from Marc Vetri in Mastering Pizza is much better. Rainforest Link The 60% Naples hydration is very good.

I think it's all about tweaking your recipe around hydration and marginal gains till you are completely happy with it. e.g. Last weekend we had some friends over and I got a proper dough proofing box. The benefits were immense as it meant I wasn't rushing around trying to separate the dough in a much smaller container. The addition of getting fresh yeast from the local supermarket rather than active dry yeast has made a big difference in taste and proofing. I guess the final thing is the four main ingredients are Water Flour, Salt Yeast. Think of the fifth one, time. This will have an impact on when you start your dough, the amount of yeast and the amount of salt. More yeast will make a more acidic dough. More salt will slow down the development of gluten.

Either way keep tweaking and making those marginal gains and most of all share them pics of your pizzas :)

Soldato
Definitely not the cheapest of pizzas, but if you count the thickness you're basically getting at least two pizzas in one :D

The dough is almost pie like crumbly, different from your regular pizza recipe as they use butter and cornmeal in it.

so has anyone researched/got a good deep pan recipe ?
most of the reddit ones like this
https://www.reddit.com/r/TopSecretR...alnatis_butter_crust_chicago_style_deep_dish/
seem to be predominately adding significant corn oil, with some small amount of butter, not sure what the uk alternative to corn oil is - rapeseed ?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom