LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Caporegime
This is the problem though, you will spend most of your life replacing things if you want perfect / very close to perfect... All of these screens have banding or tint or some other problem and the best option is to keep whichever you are happy with in normal content, not so much if you can see the issue on test slides etc. Only time I really notice is web pages and I don't plan to use as a monitor for web browsing, so I am leaning towards just keeping it, judging from looking on other forums at other peoples panels, this one seems relatively good.
I disagree with this mentality... to say "I only notice it on web pages" is to already admit there is a noticeable problem with something that costs £1500. I have replaced many items over the years that I was not happy with and got back great samples after 1 or 2 swaps.

If I am not satisfied enough with something then I do not keep it, it's that simple, and it is a rule that has served me well and kept me happy over the course of over 2 decades of buying electronics of all price ranges. Consumers should expect quality and to be satisfied. if you aren't receiving the quality you expect and are not satisfied with the flaws you have noticed, then do something about it.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
That is very true of the post above perhaps do it if its not improved at all though after a week or bit, I was going to suggest if the customer services can perhaps replace the screen for you by sending out a new one and you will then afterwards re-arrange a drop off or collection of the faulty TV set at a later on date ?

If they ask why not at same time just tell them its wall mounted and only the engineer can remove it or some excuse....

That way you can have both screens and test them out, otherwise not unless you purchase a new set which is overkill I know then simply send back which ever one is worse or just keep getting replacements and take pics to see which ones worse.

If you do anything get it in email or writing or take the persons name down.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Nirk:

You may have missed these on the other thread but this guy got his 2nd 48cx replacement panel and it turned out worse than his first one:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28293849

Also, that thing I mentioned after a good 2-3 weeks or few hundred hours of use may improve the PQ on the cx oleds few people here mentioned there's improved:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294373

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294526

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294987

I think those guys had the 48cx also, so the general trend is after some good quality use and time hopefully it improves but its just a fyi, you will know what's right and best to do!

Soldato
Wow those are pretty bad was that the cx48 model though ?

I know a few guys on avforums said after a few days their picture got better overall and less problematic. I can understand fully though if I spent 1.5K it has to be good good not just ok or like those screenshots, I would certainly get it in writing by which ever company you got it from there exact tv return policy and return procedure and cost also since if by say week 3 it's not improved, id rather send it back at my own expensive or £30 carrier charge then hang onto a 1.5K bad set.

No the pics are a general Google search for banding / tint, was giving an example of how bad they can be, although I have read about some other problems you can get with the CX.

I think your opinion is ok, but my opinion is more based on experience, if you have very high expectations "it must be perfect" you are going to be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nirk:

You may have missed these on the other thread but this guy got his 2nd 48cx replacement panel and it turned out worse than his first one:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28293849

Also, that thing I mentioned after a good 2-3 weeks or few hundred hours of use may improve the PQ on the cx oleds few people here mentioned there's improved:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294373

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294526

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2286262/post-28294987

I think those guys had the 48cx also, so the general trend is after some good quality use and time hopefully it improves but its just a fyi, you will know what's right and best to do!

Yes I have seen those but thanks for posting. I think if I planned to use as only monitor, I would be more picky about whites, but in general content, it is difficult to see any problems, only on white web pages, so overall as I said I am leaning towards keeping this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let say you get 10, they all have tint and banding (which they all do)... What are you going to do? Accept one that you find acceptable, or not have one at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
That is very true of the post above perhaps do it if its not improved at all though after a week or bit, I was going to suggest if the customer services can perhaps replace the screen for you by sending out a new one and you will then afterwards re-arrange a drop off or collection of the faulty TV set at a later on date ?

If they ask why not at same time just tell them its wall mounted and only the engineer can remove it or some excuse....

That way you can have both screens and test them out, otherwise not unless you purchase a new set which is overkill I know then simply send back which ever one is worse or just keep getting replacements and take pics to see which ones worse.

If you do anything get it in email or writing or take the persons name down.

I might ask about that, although I think if the only option is to return this one at the same time as a replacement, I might not bother, I have not seen better banding and DSE than this one and banding is a problem that is more obvious in actual content and can be a big problem. Tint is noticeable on web pages, but not really in normal content, which is what I plan to use this for most of the time.

Caporegime
Let say you get 10 panels, they all have tint and banding (which they all do)... What are you going to do? Accept one that you find acceptable, or not have one at all? Even with minor uniformity problems these still destroy any other option for picture quality.
How do you know if you will get a better sample or not until you try? I really don't understand this whiney "but what if" failure mentality that stops people even making the effort to improve a situation. Better to try and fail than regret not trying... in my experience a lot of the time things do improve. :)

As for "not have one at all"... that depends if a problem was bad enough that I know it would annoy me and be noticeable throughout my ownership. In that case, I would rather not own it. However, that rarely happens.

Soldato
How do you know if you will get a better sample or not until you try? I really don't understand this whiney "but what if" failure mentality that stops people even making the effort to improve a situation. Better to try and fail than regret not trying... in my experience a lot of the time things do improve. :)

As for "not have one at all"... that depends if a problem was bad enough that I know it would annoy me and be noticeable throughout my ownership. In that case, I would rather not own it. However, that rarely happens.

Yeh this forum probably not the best place to ask... for example do you have any experience of these panels? Or just your general opinion? My reason for not returning is because I am quite knowledgeable about it and I think the chances of getting a worse one are more than getting a better one.

The general opinion of anyone who knows about this, seems to be to to keep the one I have now. To repeat what I said before, they ALL have banding or tint or both + other potential issues. There is no such thing as a perfect one. Anyway lets leave it at that its pointless going on about it.

Anyone who owns one and wants to post pictures of your white screen or banding would be very useful, thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh this forum probably not the best place to ask... for example do you have any experience of these panels? Or just your general opinion? My reason for not returning is because I am quite knowledgeable about it and I think the chances of getting a worse one are more than getting a better one.

The general opinion of anyone who knows about this, seems to be to to keep the one I have now. To repeat what I said before, they ALL have banding or tint or both + other potential issues. There is no such thing as a perfect one. Anyway lets leave it at that its pointless going on about it.

Anyone who owns one and wants to post pictures of your white screen or banding would be very useful, thanks.
I sisn't say perfect... I said near-perfect, which means as good as you can possibly get until you are satisfied enough to keep something. I have over 2 decades of buying and swapping electronics behind me... OLED panels are hardly the first example of inconsistent quality and manufacturing in the displays world and I also did a hell of a lot of research on OLED's and their faults before deciding not to buy one as a desktop PC display until they are downsized far more sensibly to actual PC monitor sizes.

Soldato
I can't say I've noticed any major issues with mine. You need to be careful with some of these tests because e.g. loading a white background at max brightness and studying for defects can be a bit like running Prime 95 for hours when testing a CPU.

I've had monitors with horrendous BLB and sent them straight back, but my X35 only had BLB on total dark background and was barely noticeable in normal gaming use.

Soldato
I can't say I've noticed any major issues with mine. You need to be careful with some of these tests because e.g. loading a white background at max brightness and studying for defects can be a bit like running Prime 95 for hours when testing a CPU.

I've had monitors with horrendous BLB and sent them straight back, but my X35 only had BLB on total dark background and was barely noticeable in normal gaming use.

Yes sounds like a sensible way of looking at it, similar to what I do..

Any chance you could post some pictures of your CX on a white page at around 50 brightness? Also pictures of 5% grey banding would be good. Just trying to get as many examples as possible to decide if it is worth trying another, because if I return this one and get a worse replacement, that would be annoying as this one has basically nothing wrong with it other than the tint on white.

For example I return this one, then get a replacement with much worse banding or various other possible problems, with slightly less tint, overall I would rather have this one as banding can be really annoying.

Soldato
Anyone who purchased from Currys, did you get any documentation for the 5 year warranty ?

No i never got anything with mine which i bought online and it's not even mentioned on the receipt. i will say that my other tv which i bought in store from in them in 2016 had a slip which said your tv comes with a 5 years warranty.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If you go to the website you can click on specifications and scroll down it should list 5-year warranty in writing, worth just printing that off at least it's in writing and together with the receipt serves as proof of when 5-year warranty started.

The Currys internal computer system automatically also say 5 years included so if there was any issue it's an internal thing, good thing about Curries is LG TVs has an automated booking system which means once they go through the telephone diagnostic of reset, on/off, unplug, TV software reset, pixel refresh test and it's not helped they book it in and it's done within minutes, other TVs like Samsung require call up and engineer booking which is tedious for waiting times.

Associate
I'm glad I went with a C9 now for couch gaming. I've seen a lot of these uniformity issues with the CX, not limited to the CX48 either.

Soldato
The Currys internal computer system automatically also say 5 years included so if there was any issue it's an internal thing

Yeah this is true my 2016 LG C6 OLED is getting picked up for repair or replacement tomorrow and all they asked me for was the Serial number on the back of the tv.

Soldato
I'm glad I went with a C9 now for couch gaming. I've seen a lot of these uniformity issues with the CX, not limited to the CX48 either.

No if anything the 48 has the least issues, Do you have any pictures of your panel on white screen and 5% grey?

Back
Top Bottom