BBC say the N word

Soldato
Its 2020 and we're still having to explain how black people took a racist word and turned it to a word of empowerment amongst themselves....

Absolutely irrelevant. In the time of everyone screaming for equality it should be a case of everyone or no-one says it. Saying one group of individuals can say a word but not another group is discriminatory therefore not equal.

Caporegime
like a lot of words it’s all about context. When the c word is used as an insult its obviously very different to when it’s used in humour when it is imo a fantastic word. And what does “privilege” got to do with anything? That almost sounds like what white people say when they aren’t allowed to use the n word but black people are.

Exactly the point. Finally the penny dropped.

If its okay for mr A to say the word its also okay for mr B and mr C.

I dont see BLM campaigning to ban basically all rap/hip hop music.

I also hear asian wannabe gangster/dealers using the word when greeting each other and also calling each other my *something* short for a person of Pakistani origin.

This 2 facedness is not lost or misunderstood by us.

Soldato
LOL how many of you lost your **** over Jon Snow saying "white people" a while ago? And that wasnt even an offensive word.

People complaining about people complaining.

Associate
Absolutely irrelevant. In the time of everyone screaming for equality it should be a case of everyone or no-one says it. Saying one group of individuals can say a word but not another group is discriminatory therefore not equal.
That's sort of the way I see it. Either a blanket ban on the word or not at all, the phrase "Yo N....." gets used quite often in black communities, possibly having it so one race is allowed to say it but another race isn't could be considered racist.

I should just point out that I don't really care if I'm allowed to say it or not, there was a black guy where I used to work that would quite often say "Yo N....." to me as a joke and I often said it back to him, as a joke. Technically it would have been deemed wrong if anybody from HR walked by, probably because the context doesn't ever seem to be taken into consideration in the same way that a lot of other potentially offensive words could be.

Permabanned
I am glad the BBC has had so many complaints. I don’t care what the family requested, if the word is regarded as a racist word and it is offensive then there is no right for them to state it uncensored. All over a case of trying to increase the “woke” intensity of the news report. That is what you get for being OTT. Throw the book at them.

But so many people still pay the TV License :D That’s the shock.

Soldato
Exactly the point. Finally the penny dropped.

If its okay for mr A to say the word its also okay for mr B and mr C.

I dont see BLM campaigning to ban basically all rap/hip hop music.

I also hear asian wannabe gangster/dealers using the word when greeting each other and also calling each other my *something* short for a person of Pakistani origin.

This 2 facedness is not lost or misunderstood by us.

Yawn. That argument is so old and irrelevant.

Oh and who is "us" exactly in this context?

Soldato
Purely anecdotal but I asked my black friends their opinion without giving anything from my side. Consensus was absolute non issue, they were following the victims wishes.

Caporegime
We seem to have imported the US cultural oversensitivity to the use of the N-word regardless of context.

I think I remember a few years back, comedian Franky Boyle dropping the word into a critique of some famous person who’d said it on a TV show, chatting with a black comedian ( Reg D Hunter IIRC). No one batted an eye lid, he’d not used it to refer to anyone or as an insult he’d used it in a critique of someone else who had said the word in a dubious way.

In fact he’s used it in jokes too... “Hello, Ministry of War, department of ****** bombing, how can I help?”

No one sensible would assume he’s racist for it (one stupid newspaper did and he sued). He’s criticising/mocking racism.

Few years on and I suspect there is little chance of him repeating that joke or saying the word regardless of context.

Soldato
The whole thing about the word is stupid. It's just a slang way of saying negro yet it's been turned into a slur.

It's been turned into a slur by racists, just as P*** could be a legitimate contraction of Pakistan(i) in another world, the fact that small minded people used it to abuse people gave it negative connotations.

Back
Top Bottom