Spec me a Big Navi-ready gaming PC ~£2k

Associate
Hey all, I'm a decade out of the loop so I could do with an assist in a full gaming machine spec.
I'll be keeping keyboard, mouse, 1Tb & 2Tb SSD from the current build and I've got an LG 27UK850 4K monitor that'll be a second screen. Edit: Actually I think my SSDs could be end of life so a decent 1Tb NVMe would be ideal, 2Tb seem a bit pricey.

Historically I've always had Intel + Nvidia but AMD seem to be killing it so I'm keen to make the jump.
Ideally I want the base spec to last me a decent number of years with some GPU upgrades along the way.
I know the next gen are just around the corner so graphics-wise a stop gap bump from an Nvidia 970 would be good.

Primary use case is gaming, secondary is Unity development. I want to remember what *Ultra* mode looks like and I want to be ready for those next gen games around the corner.

I need a gaming-focussed monitor (144hz, 1440p), case, CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, cooler and anything else I might have forgotten. If water-cooling is now sensible and easy to do I'd be interested in that. It'll just be hidden under a desk so doesn't need to be full of LEDs.

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Soldato
So here's my 2p on the matter.

If you're planning on buying a next-gen GPU from say Nvidia in next month or so, I wouldn't invest in anything better than say this 1660S. It's value will likely have minimal impact compared to higher end and much more expensive GPUs, buying anything like a 5700XT or 2070S now will see it's resale value drop a chunk more I expect when next-gen is out. 1660S is still a very capable card and can do 1440p quite well for a stop-gap GPU.

The mobo has some of the best VRMs on the X570 chipset. If you need WiFi I'd go for the X570 Tomahawk board. 8Pack memory is very overclockable (4000Mhz+) have added 32GB as believe should help with the Unity dev work. If you ever upgraded to Ryzen 4000 CPU it would definitely help, from what we know faster RAM 4000MHz+ is a great benefit on Zen 3, so would avoid buying new RAM to get the full benefit of the new CPU. If you don't plan on upgrading you could maybe save £30 on standard Corsair LPX 32GB memory kit.

Monitor is very well regarded 1440p gaming display, on offer still as usually near £500. The 360mm AIO is very well reviewed too and should help keep temps down and run fairly quiet. Case you could spend less, but it is a very nice case with plenty of room to work with -and for rads etc should you ever decide to go full custom water loop in future, or just enjoy the aesthetics and space regardless. :p

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,820.78 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally I want the base spec to last me a decent number of years with some GPU upgrades along the way.

I need a gaming-focussed monitor (144hz, 1440p), case, CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, cooler and anything else I might have forgotten. If water-cooling is now sensible and easy to do I'd be interested in that.
Are you willing to upgrade CPU in some years?
Ryzen 3700X would be nicely high end for now and in two years you could get improved Zen3 architecture with likely 12 core (likely 4900X) from nice discount.

Do you prefer darker room illumination when gaming?
While having excellent response times LG 27GL850 has mediocre contrast even for IPS and wouldn't look good outside normally illuminated room.
(that mentioned Dell might use same panel)
And there's now better choise than ever in good heatpipe coolers.
Especially for Ryzen's with lot more honest TDPs than in Intels.

Soldato
Not sure which board you mean.

Do you need WiFi? If so I’d go for the MSI X570 Tomahawk for £219.95.

Otherwise sounds good, only thing I’d maybe look into more is what display will be best for you.

The system itself will be great, just gotta look into the next gen GPUs later next month. :)

Back
Top Bottom