Road Cycling

dod

dod

Soldato
Whats everyone suggestions on the best bang for buck Bib shorts and jersey combo?

I have DHB Aeron shorts (i think) at the moment, but my jersey needs replacing as it was bought when i was 2 stone lighter than I am now (not all flab, more so muscle from stonglifts in the gym).

AS usually i dont want to break the bank!
Planet X have some decent shorts available at good prices.

Soldato
Never done proper group rides, but safety first better to be alive and well and dropped than anything else.

Whats everyone suggestions on the best bang for buck Bib shorts and jersey combo?

I have DHB Aeron shorts (i think) at the moment, but my jersey needs replacing as it was bought when i was 2 stone lighter than I am now (not all flab, more so muscle from stonglifts in the gym).

AS usually i dont want to break the bank!

Have a look at https://galibier.cc/ and there's also Lusso

Soldato
Ouch labbby, but certainly a cool story. I hear nail polish is supposed to be good if you get the colour match right then a bit of clearcoat on top.

I thought about doing that for my carbon damage but forgot the last time I had the chainset off. Mind you the damage wasn't as bad as I thought and it's been fine for 2+ years since the chainsuck incident that caused it.
xa5rDXo.png

Soldato
Was passed yesterday at speed by a matter of inches. He had plenty of space, no oncoming traffic. He did it intentionally to scare me and how he didn't hit me I don't know! I gave chase because I was so angry and when I caught him in the 30 zone he shot off when he saw me in his mirror. Morons everywhere!

Soldato
Good call, let me know what you think of it and how it works

finally got round using this after I had to get myself a new track pump (Joe Blow III) as well. The airshot worked great, has a couple of goes to be sure but the tyre safety line much better places now so should be all good!

Associate
Hi
Been down to Devon last week for a break and took the bike for a couple of rides. I planned on hitting 8 of the top 100 climbs in Britain.
Went accross Dartmoor and back which was really nice. The climbs up to the moor from Bovey Tracey and Tavistock are really nice longish climbs without being ridiculously steep. That ticked 4 of them off
Had also planned a 120Km/3100m route from west of Ilfracombe to Minehead but due to the weather binned it off. With the wife being there in the car I decided to drive to the climbs and do them anyway.
Challacombe wasn’t so bad really. Short and sweet
Exmoor forest was a beauty of a climb. 11Km long ave 4%. Think cat and fiddle in the Peaks.
Snuck in Martinhoe common climb As a little extra one which was steep, gravelly and wet. Was a really steep beginning section under trees(25%ish). Got back to the bottom and only then realised I forget to start my gps..........didn’t have the balls to that one again :eek:
Finished off with back to back Porlock and dunkery Beacon. Porlock has 25% for maybe a Km or so to start and was a tough as nails climb although the second half does ease off. A 3Km flatfish ride to the next which has a couple of Km’s do 12%+ until the actual climb starts. ‘Only’ rated ave 10% but that one has a rating of 10/10 for toughness which I couldn’t agree more on. Was such a tough one to grind up at ~50rpm. Really need to change to a full compact from my sub with 30 on the back. Both these climbs were through the mist/heavy drizzle but it didn’t detract from enjoying them. After the fact of course:D

on the way home we stopped at Cheddar Gorge to do that one too. Gorge is nice enough though the climb itself was only ok. That made it 9 ‘official’ climbs in total. Is anyone else ticking the climbs off when they get a chance?

Gotta say if anyone wants a tough climbing holiday Exmoor has some tough but beautiful climbs. Much more intense than the Peaks and possible up there with the best in the lakes( will confirm that if I ever get to ride there).
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, I don't think I'd cope with climbs like that just yet.

Went with my local Velo club on our usual ride to Codicote for a brown and coffee at Spokes yesterday morning. I went the loo while I guess they were deciding how long the ride home would be, so I missed the discussion that made it the second longest ride I've ever done (56mi) only a few days after the longest ride I've ever done (62mi) so I was really feeling it as we rode back into Barnet and then through most of the afternoon I just felt wiped out... Still, it was a nice ride.

Soldato
My bike woes continue!

Finally managed to replace my Chain with a KMC X10, had a silly moment where I missed the plastic spacer gap in the rear mech, and had already joined the chain, which meant once I noticed I couldn't get the Missing link apart without a proper tool. Which meant a nice trip to halfords!

Sorted that, then noticed some chain rub on the front mech, after messing with it for ages the cable tension was off but also the cable was knackered and snapped so now im waiting for a new set of cable inners and outers to replace all over. Seems like I might as well do both.

Bit nervous though, I've watched some videos on it and get the principles of it and i have my old outers to match sizes too etc. I am just worried that when i come to try index the front again ill have more issues and mess it up through impatience!

Also I've noticed that the screw on the higher limit screw head on my front mech is rounding, are these simple replacements to get hold of? And how do I set the front mechs limits when installing new cables for the best ball park starting point?

Oh, also am I going to need to replace my bar tape? Hoping i cant salvage mine if possible!

I am also trying to understand if there is a specific way i need to route the cable for tension on the front mech? Some stuff I read says there is an "on/off" adjustment setting but I am not sure if my mech has that. I will have to check tonight. Im dreading this already....

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have a Perfetto Light (or Perfetto ROS Light depending on the year)?

I'm tempted by one as it seems to be rated for warmer days than the Gabba (12 to 20 degC vs 9-16 degC), so could be ideal for summer use. This weekend's forecast is 15 to 22 with 20 to 50% chance of rain. Sort of weather where just at the point you're getting properly wet and thus tempted to stop (sorry, I lack the teckers to do it whilst riding!) to put a jacket on but then you clear the front and it stops raining...

Galibier's version is a fair bit cheaper (£65 vs £105) but similar suggested temp range to the Gabba.

Soldato
Finally managed to replace my Chain with a KMC X10, had a silly moment where I missed the plastic spacer gap in the rear mech, and had already joined the chain, which meant once I noticed I couldn't get the Missing link apart without a proper tool. Which meant a nice trip to halfords!

3mm allen key would have had the rear mech cage off within a minute (and you'd be able to clean it and the jockey wheels nicely).

Soldato
3mm allen key would have had the rear mech cage off within a minute (and you'd be able to clean it and the jockey wheels nicely).

You know what...didn't even think of that. It's all quite clean though I used a degrease full clean a few weeks ago... either way thanks for the tip. Feel so dumb now.

I'm also now considering a bottom bracket replacement but need to see what my one is when I get home.

Don't suppose anyone can suggest good cable cutting tool that won't break my bank too? Outers and and inners.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have a Perfetto Light (or Perfetto ROS Light depending on the year)?

I'm tempted by one as it seems to be rated for warmer days than the Gabba (12 to 20 degC vs 9-16 degC), so could be ideal for summer use. This weekend's forecast is 15 to 22 with 20 to 50% chance of rain. Sort of weather where just at the point you're getting properly wet and thus tempted to stop (sorry, I lack the teckers to do it whilst riding!) to put a jacket on but then you clear the front and it stops raining...

Galibier's version is a fair bit cheaper (£65 vs £105) but similar suggested temp range to the Gabba.
Unfortunately just the normal Perfettos which I find great for so many different circumstances, even wore one only a month ago when it was lashing it down, but did overheat in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately just the normal Perfettos which I find great for so many different circumstances, even wore one only a month ago when it was lashing it down, but did overheat in the end.

Thanks SoliD. I asked Galibier and they said 20/22 deg C would be overheating for their version. Stolen Goat's Orkaan jerseys are suggested to 16C as well.

Another option is the Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain S/S. IIRC, Sportful & Castelli have the same parent. Could save £20 going down that route.

Soldato
You know what...didn't even think of that. It's all quite clean though I used a degrease full clean a few weeks ago... either way thanks for the tip. Feel so dumb now.

I'm also now considering a bottom bracket replacement but need to see what my one is when I get home.

Don't suppose anyone can suggest good cable cutting tool that won't break my bank too? Outers and and inners.

I’ve got a pair very similar to these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Bicyc...8&sr=1-3-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4

I rate them better than the Park Tool ones.

Soldato

Thanks buddy I just took the punt on some from Screwfix that the reviews stated similar good things for bike cables so will see how they hold up.

I'm trying to see what BB I need to replace mine which has this on it: shimano bc 1.37x24 road.

IoI think its one of these: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ti...ztTjhXI1iIrilrRN_82kAFC6Zc-Fm3wxoCnewQAvD_BwE

Can anyone help confirm that's right?

Back
Top Bottom