Effects of electric cars on automotive industry

Soldato
Yep it’s still a lot of work to recycle it. A truck need to go to every single mechanic and pick up the waste oil and drive it back to a depot. All of this is totally unnecessary and a waste of time and money.

It's not unnecessary. Its just an unfortunate side effect of ICE ownership. Switching the electric vehicles will remove that side effect, but they will also create their own problems. Last time I checked, the disposal and recycling of batteries was neither cheap nor easy to do properly.

Granted, its likely only to be an issue when the car reaches the end of its service life, (as opposed to annually) and I am all for the widespread adoption of electric vehicles, but I do wish people would stop treating their adoption like some magic bullet to solve our environmental issues.

Caporegime
Minuscule amount and I think it’s designed not to be replaced.

Come to think of it 30 milllion cars on britiains roads

Bi annual oil changes at 5 litres each

75 million litres of carcinogenic motor oil each year needs to be disposed of, that’s just the U.K.! Surely that’s a good enough reason to switch to electric

There’s demand for oil in EV. Especially e motors with multi speed. These will need oil changes, drain interval is being worked on as fluid needs to interact with elector ices and protect gears etc. Obviously wear metals are a challenge in the oil floating around electronic parts.

current dry motors are very much first gen tech

Soldato
There’s demand for oil in EV. Especially e motors with multi speed. These will need oil changes, drain interval is being worked on as fluid needs to interact with elector ices and protect gears etc. Obviously wear metals are a challenge in the oil floating around electronic parts.

current dry motors are very much first gen tech

You mean like the taycan?

Don
Independent garages will all but disappear as car ownership falls, fleets of self-driving Uber cars will just be serviced at 2 or 3 large depots spread out across the UK.

There's substantially less wear and tear items on a EV - pretty much just left with brakes!

Associate
Not sure but there are a lot of disadvantages of EV compared to Petrol. Range and charge times. It can only get better of course but how many decades are you talking and is it even physically possible to charge that quickly?

I have the cheapest / lowest-range car Tesla sell and I did a 300 mile trip recently and charged for 15 minutes en route, when I'd stopped for a break anyway. That was charging at about 120kw. New chargers are over twice as fast - this may well get even better but it's not an issue now. What would be nice is more chargers rather than even faster ones. E.g. 10's of chargers at every motorway services, 2/4/8 at small / medium / large 'petrol' stations, so people won't even need to look on their navigation to find one. That said I have had the car for 10 months and have only needed to use public charging twice due to setting off with a "full tank" every day by charging at home.

Soldato
I guess oil cooling (instead of water based coolant) might become a thing as well, which means they may end up needing even more oil than an engine.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Why the model Y PR spam on a integrated pump/header tank?

The oil is part of the integrated EDUs to allow good continuous power ratings, especially with a pumped system. You can see the filter on the model 3 rear motor. It’s not described as a serviceable part though.

Caporegime
I have the cheapest / lowest-range car Tesla sell and I did a 300 mile trip recently and charged for 15 minutes en route, when I'd stopped for a break anyway. That was charging at about 120kw. New chargers are over twice as fast - this may well get even better but it's not an issue now. What would be nice is more chargers rather than even faster ones. E.g. 10's of chargers at every motorway services, 2/4/8 at small / medium / large 'petrol' stations, so people won't even need to look on their navigation to find one. That said I have had the car for 10 months and have only needed to use public charging twice due to setting off with a "full tank" every day by charging at home.

This is always the old point EV users use. I just stopped for 15 minutes to have a break in a 300 mile journey. Some people do not stop and want to do that 300 mile journey in one hit which you cannot really do at the moment. We live on a rather smaller island. On the continent and America large journeys are common practice.

In my opinion EV needs to offer the exact benefits of an ICE before it is complete and a 100% alternative to ICE.

Soldato
Why the model Y PR spam on a integrated pump/header tank?

The oil is part of the integrated EDUs to allow good continuous power ratings, especially with a pumped system. You can see the filter on the model 3 rear motor. It’s not described as a serviceable part though.

It isn't PR spam, it includes some (potentially) interesting information about how Tesla's latest cooling system works. Including a tear-down from a well-respected individual in the industry. And it was posted because of the absurd suggestion I quoted that oil may replace the current coolants used and may require more of it than an engine. A liquid glycol solution is also used as coolant in the Model 3 and other synthetic fluids in the so-called 'oil filter' you were referring to. Which is a gearbox fluid, not a coolant. That is a sealed and as you say unservicable part with a very small amount of solution compared to an ICE engine's coolant tank.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Independent garages will all but disappear as car ownership falls, fleets of self-driving Uber cars will just be serviced at 2 or 3 large depots spread out across the UK.

There's substantially less wear and tear items on a EV - pretty much just left with brakes!
And suspension and steering and everything else which is mechanical in operation like doors opening and closing.

Soldato
This is always the old point EV users use. I just stopped for 15 minutes to have a break in a 300 mile journey. Some people do not stop and want to do that 300 mile journey in one hit which you cannot really do at the moment. We live on a rather smaller island. On the continent and America large journeys are common practice.

What percentage of people drive 300 miles without a stop? How much hassle would it be to introduce a 20 min break? Arrival time can’t be critical, as over a 300 mile journey there is plenty of potential for hold ups. We’re talking a tiny portion of journeys that are 300 miles non-stop, probably less than 0.1%.

Caporegime
It isn't PR spam, it includes some (potentially) interesting information about how Tesla's latest cooling system works. Including a tear-down from a well-respected individual in the industry. And it was posted because of the absurd suggestion I quoted that oil may replace the current coolants used and may require more of it than an engine. A liquid glycol solution is also used as coolant in the Model 3 and other synthetic fluids in the so-called 'oil filter' you were referring to. Which is a gearbox fluid, not a coolant. That is a sealed and as you say unservicable part with a very small amount of solution compared to an ICE engine's coolant tank.
Sorry but Nasher happened to be right (like a broken clock is correct twice a day)

I already posted about this. Indirect cooling can work with water glycol, direct cooling wont. Motors also need more oil. Its likely future EVs will actually need more oil than current ICE, just longer drains.
This is based on many OEMs not just Tesla. Tesla use a water glycol based on G48 for battery pack and use gearbox oil for their motors.

Soldato
Sorry but Nasher happened to be right (like a broken clock is correct twice a day)

:eek:

I already posted about this. Indirect cooling can work with water glycol, direct cooling wont. Motors also need more oil. Its likely future EVs will actually need more oil than current ICE, just longer drains.
This is based on many OEMs not just Tesla. Tesla use a water glycol based on G48 for battery pack and use gearbox oil for their motors.

Thanks for the information, although I'm not aware of any oil being used as a coolant in Tesla vehicles. The cooling system used, including the 'Octovalve' I linked to (Model Y) and 'Super Bottle' (Model 3), uses the glycol fluid to cool the motors as well. Any oil is just used in relatively small amounts in sealed chambers and not used as a coolant as far as I'm aware?

Soldato

I don't think the decline of independent will be that bad after all people will need tyres brakes and some other bits. But yes they willl decrease a fair bit.

In my opinion EV needs to offer the exact benefits of an ICE before it is complete and a 100% alternative to ICE.
if you have 100 people how many would be able to do a 300 mile journey non stop.

I would certainly stop whichever car I was in unless I was doing 120mph.

Back
Top Bottom