Console gamer who wants to make the switch...

Associate
OP
Evening all, I'm back! Things in the PC world have been going great and I'm pleased to say my system is running really well with no problems at all. I've even got a VR headset now for my racing sims and its fantastic!

I was always aware that I had a pretty crummy monitor (1920x1080 5ms 60 Hz) I think a few of you pointed this out during my build - so I'm now looking to rectify this, although my budget is only about £350. I've read countless reviews, but end up confusing myself as I just get set on one model, but then read one bad review and get put-off. So I'm looking for any recommendations!

As a refresher my build spec is:

1 x AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600X 4.20GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £199.99

1 x MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard= £119.99

1 x Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C18 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX432C18FB2K216)= £79.99

1 x Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8192MB PCI-Express Graphics Card= £458.99

1 x TeamGroup 1TB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive= £94.99

1 x Zalman i3 Midi-Tower Case - Black Window= £42.95

1 x Antec HCG Gold 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £73.99

Any help is greatly received.

Associate
OP
Evening, I eventually got around to swapping out my 2600x for a 3900x, which was discussed in this thread over a year ago! Well, I did it this evening. The swap was problematic, as my PC wouldn't boot Windows afterwards. I took ages trying to isolate the issue, I even put the 2600x back in to test a few things.

It turns out that after a disk wipe and fresh installation of Windows everything was peachy. I then spent the evening monitoring the temps and noticed that they fluctuated a lot - and seemed to have a resting temp anywhere between 55 & 75c. Now to my uneducated brain, this seems high? I was only surfing the net and downloading a few apps. I then fired up Assetto Corsa, large field, graphics on Ultra and the temp seemed to be stabilising around 69c mark.

Is this an indication of too little or too much thermal paste? I just wonder if a lot flaked off after removing the 3900x when I swapped back briefly to the 2600x. Or is this an indication that the packaged Wraith Cooler is not up to the job. Or am I just worried about nothing?

Soldato
@MrBraindown

Run Cinebench R20 and check the temps. That will stress all the cores/threads. As far as idle temps go, they'll always be a bit high with Ryzen as doing any little thing (or Windows doing its own thing) will spike temps constantly.

Make sure the chipset driver is installed and then you should have more options to play around with in Windows Power Plan. That can help reduce idle temps a little.

Associate
OP
Cool, thanks Danny, I’ll give that a go. I did reinstall the Chipset Drivers and the temps improved, so maybe that didn’t work the first time? I’ll run Cinebench and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom