Looking for a UK holiday by the sea

Soldato
It's my wife's 30th in November. We've had to cancel our big holiday this year, much like everyone else, and so I'd like to take her someone really special for her birthday. However, budget is limited due to work situations and we've no desire to leave the country right now, so it'll have to be in the UK.

She loves the sea, and so I've been looking for a nice place for maybe £100 a night (3/4 nights total) where we could stay from which she could see and potentially hear the sea. Ideally, something literally on the beach but alternatively, something within maybe 100 metres. I think she's got California in her head, which obviously isn't possible.

Just wondering if anyone here had any suggestions? I've got some Air BnB credit from a trip to a friend's wedding that I had to cancel this year, so something on there would be ideal. However, I'd be quite happy to get it from elsewhere if it meets the sea criteria.

I was thinking of something in Cornwall as I love it down there and haven't been for years. We would be willing to travel, but an area in the South of England or Wales would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Tenby.

Sounds a long way but I live not far from you and we're off there soon. We're staying in a place called The Panorama, it's a shade over 100 a night but that's peak season. I don't think it's anything super special except it is right on the coastline overlooking a great beach.

Caporegime
If you aren't against static caravans, then I can recommend Braddicks Holiday Centre in Westward Ho! (North Devon). You are right on the edge of the cliffs by the sea, the beach is a 2 minute walk and the town is lovely and quaint as is the surrounding local area (Bideford, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Clovelly, etc).

EDIT: This was the view from our balcony last year (Lundy Island in the distance).

westwardho.jpg

Soldato
OP
Tenby.

Sounds a long way but I live not far from you and we're off there soon. We're staying in a place called The Panorama, it's a shade over 100 a night but that's peak season. I don't think it's anything super special except it is right on the coastline overlooking a great beach.

Thanks for the tip, it looks lovely. Maybe I should have put in that I'm (maybe not her so much) fairly keen on self catering so we aren't really looking for a hotel. I'll definitely consider that though as it really does look very nice.

If you aren't against static caravans, then I can recommend Braddicks Holiday Centre in Westward Ho! (North Devon). You are right on the edge of the cliffs by the sea, the beach is a 2 minute walk and the town is lovely and quaint as is the surrounding local area (Bideford, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Clovelly, etc).

EDIT: This was the view from our balcony last year (Lundy Island in the distance).

westwardho.jpg

Wow that's quite a view! Unfortunately she would balk at a caravan. They look very nice though.

Caporegime
Anywhere in the gower to Pembrokeshire is lovely. It's why I moved down this way so I could be closer to all of that.

I prefer the South coast of Wales to cardigan Bay myself.

Id have moved further west if there were jobs out there. This is close as I could get

Other option is Cornwall.
I find North Cornwall is better for surfing etc and south coast is better for beauty.

Basically anywhere on the south west coast really!

Soldato
No idea on prices these days as we last stayed near Sandown in June 2006 IIRC and in recent years I've wanted to go there to cycle up Down Lane from Ventnor esplanade (~770 feet in just over 2 miles) plus go around the island, but Isle Of Wight can't be too expensive in the off-season.

Soldato
OP
my very local coast is port Isaac and tintagel,but tbh I tend to drift south to the Gannel area Newquay (an amazing area to stay) Crantock Holllywell, nice rolling sand dunes ect

I really like Port Isaac. We used to go on holiday there as children, until it became overburdened with Doc Martin fans. I think my parents still go there. We used to go to Newquay a lot...I was actually thinking of Padstow but it's the beach hut requirement that's making it challenging to find a spot. Tintagel is on the cards as well, definitely.

Soldato
She loves the sea, and so I've been looking for a nice place for maybe £100 a night (3/4 nights total) where we could stay from which she could see and potentially hear the sea. Ideally, something literally on the beach but alternatively, something within maybe 100 metres. I think she's got California in her head, which obviously isn't possible.

If the lady wants California, the lady gets California

https://www.parkdeanresorts.co.uk/location/east-anglia-lincolnshire/california-cliffs/

Soldato
I really like Port Isaac. We used to go on holiday there as children, until it became overburdened with Doc Martin fans. I think my parents still go there. We used to go to Newquay a lot...I was actually thinking of Padstow but it's the beach hut requirement that's making it challenging to find a spot. Tintagel is on the cards as well, definitely.
Tbh hardly ever do port Isaac now, too frantic, work in Padstow and cycle there (not to work but for a day out f)rom my house sometimes as I'm on (above) camel trail
Polzeath nice but crazy busy, ilove it in the autumn.

Associate
I always stay in Port Quinn, it is the next village along from Port Isaac. I usually go in November and stay in the National trust self catering cottages there. Pretty cheap in November in low season. Right on the coast and taxis are available to the pub in Port Isaac for a couple of beers and dinner.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/mouls-cornwall

Man of Honour
Anywhere from Burton Bradstock downwards on the South side or North Devon is pretty decent - though the popular ones like Fistral Beach, Newquay are going to be CROWDED. Pembrokeshire as mentioned above is a good option as well - my cousins always seem to find some amazing places around Solva area that no one else seems to know of somehow.

No better way to end a relationship fast...

Associate
We've just got back from Bournemouth: if you don't go in peak season (like we did...) you'll be able to enjoy very, very nice beaches (especially down in the "Jurassic Coast").
We paid about ~£480 for 4 nights in a 4-star hotel, breakfast included.

Back
Top Bottom