Power line to WiFi extender

Associate
Hi all - forgive me if this has been asked before ad infinitum, but I still can't find a simple yes/no answer to what I'm looking for.

In short, the router in our flat has to go right in the very corner of our bedroom, about the worst location possible. We can't change that.

The WiFi signal is fine in the flat indoors, with the connect being a little weak in the furthest parts of the kitchen, approx two/three chunky walls away and maybe 20 metres away.

Beyond the kitchen we have a small balcony where the WiFi simply doesn't reach. I've had an old power line kit lying around for ages which I haven't been using so I was just wondering if I could set that up with a WiFi extender to improve things in the kitchen/balcony. Set up would run:

Router > ethernet cable to power line adapter > adapter into mains > adapter out of mains (in kitchen) > run a short ethernet cable from that adapter into a WiFi extender in the plug next to it > broadcast WiFi from there?

Does that work? Is there any kind of special WiFi extender I need to do this? Has anyone got any suggestions? Would like to keep cost below £30 if possible. FYI, our WiFi is with Zen Internet and is a solid 75MB p/s so would have course like to preserve it as close to that as possible (headroom would be great too in case we get a speed bump in future). Presumably that would mean having a WiFi extender that can broadcast at those kind of speeds?

Thanks!

Soldato
In a flat, powerline is less likely to be the nightmare it often is in multi floor (and multi circuit dwellings). In simple terms you want an access point, for that budget you will likely either be buying something cheap/nasty or used, an old router may also work depending what you have knocking around.

Associate
OP
Thanks @Avalon - nothing knocking around unfortunately so will need to pick something up. What actually qualifies as an access point? Does it need to be an extender / repeater type thing?

Soldato
This is oversimplified, but...

An access point connects to the network using Ethernet. A repeater/extender connects to the network using wireless. They both then transmit a new wireless signal.

For various reasons, an access point would usually be the prefered option.

An access point will be sold as an access point, or as another wireless device (e.g. a wireless router) that has an access point mode.

Soldato
A cheap TP-Link access point can be had for <£25 new (like a TL-WA901N) and would be entirely suitable to put on the end of a powerline adapter. You don't need one that supports the latest standards IMO because powerline is likely to be your limiting factor speed wise.

Soldato
You can buy a Unifi AP (the original round 300Mbit 2.4Ghz version) for £29.99 or less used on an auction site, they are still supported and reliable/well proven, you can get them for less by auction if you aren’t in a hurry. Make sure it comes with the mounting kit and PoE injector. Don’t buy the square versions - they sound better, but reality is they are crap/unsupported.

Back
Top Bottom