SBR in mortar for patio ?

dal

dal

Associate
So im laying some porcelain paving but im unsure whether to use sbr in my mortar. So sbr will make the mortar more waterproof but i was under the impression a weak mortar mix was required ( about 6: 1 ) so any water going into the joints would soak through the mortar and into the ground.
Btw i will be using a slurry primer on the back of the slabs for adhesion.

Soldato
not porcelain but laid a large patio recently and i used SBR in my mix, seem to make it a little more workable and ahere together a bit more.

i did use a 6:1 wet mix and slurry on the back (made my own slurry rather than buying due to the cost)

slurry dries like rock on any bucket or brush you use, make sure you rinse it all thouroughly after using it and try not to let it splash on stuff.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
not porcelain but laid a large patio recently and i used SBR in my mix, seem to make it a little more workable and ahere together a bit more.

i did use a 6:1 wet mix and slurry on the back (made my own slurry rather than buying due to the cost)

slurry dries like rock on any bucket or brush you use, make sure you rinse it all thouroughly after using it and try not to let it splash on stuff.

Thanks.
Yeah it is supposed to improve adhesion and make it more resistant to frost ect.
Once mixed how long was it workable for ?

Soldato
Thanks.
Yeah it is supposed to improve adhesion and make it more resistant to frost ect.
Once mixed how long was it workable for ?
it seemed to start to harden withing about an hour but as i mixed it myself i just added some more sbr/a bit of water and gave it a good mix again.

apologies, i misinformed earlier. it was plasticiser that i added to the mortar mix not SBR. sbr was mixed with cement and water to make the slurry.

Soldato
SBR mortar is workable for about 30 minutes. With the slurry, you have about 1-2 minutes to get the slab laid once you start putting it on and in this heat you have to work quickly.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
SBR mortar is workable for about 30 minutes. With the slurry, you have about 1-2 minutes to get the slab laid once you start putting it on and in this heat you have to work quickly.

Thanks, so i could use plasticiser instead of sbr then , id prefer an hour to use the mortar instead of 30 minutes

Soldato
Thanks, so i could use plasticiser instead of sbr then , id prefer an hour to use the mortar instead of 30 minutes
Don't use plasticiser instead of sbr.
Plasticiser just makes the mortar more creamy/fluffier so it's easier to spread.
Sbr is completely different.
Using porcelain slabs, just mix normal mortar 7:1
If it dries out whilst using, just add water to make it wet again.
Then make slurry with sbr and raw cement.
Prepare mortar base, apply slurry to bottom of the slab and lay down the slab.
Edit.
What are you using for the joint gaps?

Soldato
Not sure yet, i might use that stuff from aspect that you brush in.

Cheers for the advice.
Easyjoint? If so it's very good stuff but iirc the minimum size of joint is 6 or 7mm. But I may be wrong.
When we lay porcelain slabs we use a 3mm joint, it looks better imo.

We use a product called "joint-it" , it is suitable for 3mm joints.
It uses a finer grit then the easyjoint

dal

dal

Associate
OP
I was going to go for 6 mm joints for that reason.
So what sort of working time do you get with joint-it, might be worth looking into as I think smaller joints may well look better, I know there's one, cant remember the name
but you only get about 20 minutes to get it in and if it sets on the patio it wont come off, really don't like the sound of that.
I've got 45 square meters of patio to lay BTW, so anything where you don't get too long to work it and Id have to do it in sections.

Back
Top Bottom