Spec me a Big Navi-ready gaming PC ~£2k

Permabanned
The PSU Sparx linked is perfect for the job. It has a 10 year warranty, uses quality components and has easily enough power.

650-watt maybe enough but you will be running the PSU at around 80-90% of its load. Big Navi will be 350 watts, CPU is 100 watts, other components are 40-50 watts. How much will it be if you ignore the power spikes on the Big Navi, also?
Don't be silly and don't underestimate the configuration.

At least, take the 850-watt PSU!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £135.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
@Sparx I saw you’ve got a Corsair 750? Is it worth bumping to something similar for future proofing?
I’ve ordered the Dell monitor, no idea what was wrong with it.
I’ll order the rest today :)

Man of Honour
It was more the wattage than the make that I was asking about. Open to suggestions as always.
That was my point the corsair 750w is £13 more, there have been some good suggestions already.

Sometimes you can get bogged with to much info.

With all the info and suggestions what wattage psu do you think you should get ?

Associate
It was more the wattage than the make that I was asking about. Open to suggestions as always.

Go with the original suggested build. Pay attention to the original key points. Spending £399 on a 5700xt right now isn't a good idea. A 650 watt is ample.

If big Navi needs a 1000 watt PSU I'll eat my hat. And my psu.

Associate
OP
Tl;dr; I don’t know what I’m doing to make good choices.

My understanding and please correct me if I’m wrong is that generally 650 should be enough for current gen single GPUs, 750-850+ is if you’re planning to run two.
My thought process is that as I’m not planning to do that I’d have gone 650 but given the conflicting advice about next gen being super thirsty that makes me think 750 might be enough just in case. 850 was quoted elsewhere as the upper range for running a two card setup so it seems excessive. I don’t think any 750 PSUs have been suggested and I really don’t know the differences in quality, noise, features, running costs etc between any of these to know whether jumping to 850 makes sense hence my asking for advice from you all as a font of knowledge.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

My understanding and please correct me if I’m wrong is that generally 650 should be enough for current gen single GPUs, 750-850+ is if you’re planning to run two.
My thought process is that as I’m not planning to do that I’d have gone 650 but given the conflicting advice about next gen being super thirsty that makes me think 750 might be enough just in case. 850 was quoted elsewhere as the upper range for running a two card setup so it seems excessive. I don’t think any 750 PSUs have been suggested and I really don’t know the differences in quality, noise, features, running costs etc between any of these to know whether jumping to 850 makes sense hence my asking for advice from you all as a font of knowledge.

I'd go with the 850 I suggested above. When a PSU runs at a lower % of it's capacity it's a) more efficient and b) can stay within it's 0 rpm mode meaning no fan needs to run majority of the time.

There is also negligible cost between the 750 and 850 version of the PSU I posted.

Associate

Trust Steve Burke!

He's not trying to convince you that a 450 watt is enough, just demonstrating how people over buy.

Man of Honour
The corsair rm 750w can be had on overclockers for £109 but the 850w sugested above can be had at a same price.

You won't be disappointed with any psus suggested they are very similar in warranty and noise.

Soldato
@Sparx I saw you’ve got a Corsair 750? Is it worth bumping to something similar for future proofing?
I’ve ordered the Dell monitor, no idea what was wrong with it.
I’ll order the rest today :)

Yeah my purchase was this time last year though, when PSU prices weren't astronomical :D

But I'd settle on 650w in the current times without sweating over it. However if you find a decent 700/750w model for only £10-15 more, then no reason why not. It's always nice to have extra extra headroom lol

Like these 2 potentially

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-061-sf.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020195-uk-ca-24s-cs.html

Man of Honour
cos psu calculators are like putting petrol in your car by drinking it and waving your willy at the petrol cap, sure it might sort of work, but other methods are more accurate.

Soldato
Guys, why don't you use PSU calculators? Like this one - https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
It's a really powerful tool and according to it, the recommended PSU is 736-watt for your case.

You do need the 850-watt one in order to have some breathing room.

Yeah so my specs in my sig, your magic calculator recommends a 540w PSU... :D

So 850w is overkill, 650-750w is plenty... But I'm outta here debating this over and over lol

Permabanned
Yeah so my specs in my sig, your magic calculator recommends a 540w PSU... :D

So 850w is overkill, 650-750w is plenty... But I'm outta here debating this over and over lol

You need to put RX Vega 64 Water cooled and all the fans, at least 2 storage drives, LED lighting, PCI card, etc. Don't be thrifty :D
Ryzen 9 3900X plus RX Vega 64 water cooled.

Back
Top Bottom