Associate
I've the nightmare scenario that I have tight budget around £250(ish) to replace my dual Dell 20" 1600x900 res monitors for mainly work purposes as I'm WFH as a software developer....8/9 hours a day minimum in front of this screen for the time being.

I see this is as an opportunity to get a decent 4k display to give my PS4 Pro a proper run out but I'm finding anything with real HDR is out of my price bracket.

Figured out my requirements for a big monitor are....

- Eye care/eye strain reduction

- 4k res for PS4 Pro use (I read the 1440p panels will be no good as the PS4 does 1080 or 4k with no inbetween)

- IP panel (for better colours over TN panel)

- Input lag around 5ms or less

- 60 hz or more

- 27inch size

- UK based

- Height adjustable stand

Found stuff like LG 27UL650 / 550 are best budget IPS at this size but they're around £350 so bit out of my price bracket so maybe I should get 2 decent Full HD monitors instead at a smaller size like 24?"

Dunno what to do, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
If you're after screw real estate and are used to a dual HD setup at work, you really need a 32" 4k setup (in my experience). Even then it's a bit smaller than I would like.

It's pricey through. Have you looked at what you can sell your current screens for?

Associate

Without sounding cheeky.. up your budget, I'm also a WFH software engineer and i'm currently returning a GB3461WQSU-B1 because the picture quality just isn't good enough for me (it would be perfect for casual and gaming usage but staring at mostly static content all day is another story imo)

Associate
Without sounding cheeky.. up your budget, I'm also a WFH software engineer and i'm currently returning a GB3461WQSU-B1 because the picture quality just isn't good enough for me (it would be perfect for casual and gaming usage but staring at mostly static content all day is another story imo)

I had the same experience using an ultrawide for photo editing. Fine for media and gaming but for colour with the shift was a nightmare.

Soldato
I use my X34P ultrawide for coding work and PC gaming all the time. Works well, and better than the 2 x 22" 1080p screens in the office. I could probably do with another couple of 16:9 1440p monitors either side, but it's fine for now.

You'll probably want HDMI 2.1 / VRR support for next gen consoles though.

Soldato
I've the nightmare scenario that I have tight budget around £250(ish) to replace my dual Dell 20" 1600x900 res monitors for mainly work purposes as I'm WFH as a software developer....8/9 hours a day minimum in front of this screen for the time being.

I see this is as an opportunity to get a decent 4k display to give my PS4 Pro a proper run out but I'm finding anything with real HDR is out of my price bracket.

Figured out my requirements for a big monitor are....

- Eye care/eye strain reduction

- 4k res for PS4 Pro use (I read the 1440p panels will be no good as the PS4 does 1080 or 4k with no inbetween)

- IP panel (for better colours over TN panel)

- Input lag around 5ms or less

- 60 hz or more

- 27inch size

- UK based

- Height adjustable stand

Found stuff like LG 27UL650 / 550 are best budget IPS at this size but they're around £350 so bit out of my price bracket so maybe I should get 2 decent Full HD monitors instead at a smaller size like 24?"

Well first of all, dissuade yourself of the notion that ANY monitor will give you a real HDR experience, especially at that price point.

4K at 27" is on the small side, so prepare to use scaling, but that's not necessarily a problem. 32" would be ideal, but again, for that price point, you won't find IPS.

The LG's are a bit overprice for what they are, but 4K really is king for productivity. You could check out the 4K Lenovo L28u-30 which can be had for £260.

Permabanned
I think 4K at 27" is way too small. 1440P is described as ideal but honestly I find it makes my eyes very tired unless I configure a scaling in Windows to make the text bigger!! Kinda defeats the point in getting 1440P. Nut certainly I think the very minimum you need at 4K is 32". Also, 4K is ludicrously hard to drive. You need a top end graphics card to do it. You certainly will not be able to drive it faster than 60Hz. Well, it's your choice of course, but if it was my money I would spend it on a higher frame-rate 27" 1440P monitor.

Permabanned
I dont think your budget will accommodate 4k PS4 and suitable software dev screens.

I use 2 x Dell 1080p 24" screens at work and they are perfect for my software dev usage. At home I use 1440p and 1200p screens, now they are different sizes and might not suit those with OCD but the key is having two screens imo.

So I would get 2 x 1080p monitors, then save up for a 4k OLED TV for the PS4. :p

Back
Top Bottom