• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nvlddmkm

Soldato
Hey,

I have been having this problem for a while now & still haven't got to the bottom of it. I bought the system back in April. It matches a reddit post I have come across while searching the errors:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

I have gotten this error twice while my computer was idling in a game for several hours. After the error, the computer would move at a crawl... the mouse cursor would stutter and barely move and i would be forced to restart.

It also sometimes just goes straight to no display & a quick replug of the HDMI cable brings it back to life. Other times I have to hard power off. It can go for days without anything happening I should add.

This is the error I get from event viewer.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\0000011f
0d02(31c4) 00000000 00000000
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

I have tried different HDMI cables, memtests at stock & with xmp enabled, Zero errors come up. No OC on the cpu at all its all at the gigabyte defaults. Newest drivers for everything. Latest bios update etc.

This is my setup

The cooler I am using is a Corsair H150i Pro.

I am completely unsure what it is. But in the OP of the reddit post they say it might be an AMD problem? But I don't see anyone on this forum having the same issue.

Many thanks.

Man of Honour
Had a similar issue recently with a nvlddmkm TDR on a Gigabyte X570 board - accidentally (sort of) sorted it when swapping out the 3200MHz RAM for some 3000MHz stuff I had for troubleshooting - can't be sure 100% as I tried a few other things at the same time (reseating components) but the owner then changed the RAM and hasn't had it happen since.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Sadly I don't have any spare RAM to try to see if that will sort it. I have used every driver Nvidia has released since April up till now.

I'd have thought a Gigabyte graphics card would work fine with a Gigabyte motherboard. Seems strange. Never had this with Intel machines.

I guess I could manually try running the RAM at 3000mhz & see if the problem arises again.

Man of Honour
I'd have thought a Gigabyte graphics card would work fine with a Gigabyte motherboard.

I've never really seen any correlation with that - often the graphics and motherboard divisions for many brands exist almost in isolation.

Unfortunately this looks like one of those annoying issues that generally you have to resort to swapping out major hardware components to resolve without ever really finding the root cause :( due to some really obscure tiny incompatibility or incorrect operation somewhere.

Soldato
OP
Did you reinstall the chipset drivers after updating the BIOS?

Try manually entering the RAM timings and not via XMP.

Try 3000Mhz and 1500Mhz IF.

Unclock the gfx card a bit.

I installed some chipset drivers that were released the other week not long after I did the BIOS update.

I'll try the ram timings but I'm not very savvy with it, I tried messing with those when I first got the PC & it didn't go to well!

Would underclocking the GPU make any difference? Seeing as it hasn't done it when its under load while playing games. It mainly happens when I'm just on the browser/watching youtube.

[Edit:- Trying one of the "fixes" by putting the gpu to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia drivers. Might take a few weeks to rear its head again though.]

Associate
Here is a couple things I would do. 1. Re-seat the card in the same slot. if no joy. 2. Move card to different slot. 3. Down load the latest driver from the web site. Then download DDU. Disconnect your network connection. Go install safe mode run DDU reboot. Install the driver and reconnect network. If you are still having problems. Install furmark and leave it running at max settings if you have a problem its the card.

Soldato
Almost certainly a software/driver issue. I'm guessing some bug in the software.

As for a fix it's weird that Nvidia haven't addressed the issue.

Soldato
I've been getting display driver crashes with AMD sometimes as well (except it's amdkmdag). I think it's a problem with windows 10.

I'm pretty sure it started after one of the big bloatware "feature" updates :/

Associate
Had this problem with a 680 giving me black screens while game still run. (Iracing) tried everything software possible. I narrowed it down to the card itself as I had SLI and run single cards and swapped them over. It only happened on one of the cards and never the other. two identical 4gb 680`s

Back
Top Bottom