Help choosing fans

Associate
Hi so not really a pc question but thought I would get a better answer than the home cinema section as I searched in there, so looking for a few fans that will be fixed to an av cabinet just to circulate cool air round and then out again and also a fan that will sit on top of my av receiver to draw air up through it, any help ?
Thanks

Soldato
Consider where they are going to be used, do they need to be as quiet as possible?
What size will fit (both diameter and thickness)

Usual suggestion is Noctua, amazingly quiet

Soldato
Usual suggestion these days is the Arctic P12, because they're cheap and because everyone else says to get them....

If you want 120mm, I'd suggest any of the good names - Noctua, Corsair ML120s, BeQuiet, Noiseblocker...

Depending on the size of the cabinet, you might want to try a 200mm fan. Bigger fan turning slower is often quieter, and moves more air than small fans turning faster.
Of course, these are just PC fans. You could always look at fans from other applications. Maybe a big automotive fan?

Soldato
I suggest this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £29.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

It's not the usual 12V case fan. It runs on 5V, meaning it can run off a USB adapter or the USB port on your AV receiver. Its not cheap but its guaranteed to work.

Me - I've gone down the cheap route. I've spliced a USB cable & a 3 pin fan cable soldered them together to jerryrig a USB powered noctua case fan to cool me down at my desk. Its quiet but the airflow leaves something to be desired, so I've put up a wanted thread in the MM for a bigger case fan.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the help, was telling my son i had asked and he reminded me that i had 2 140mm and 120mm from my case that i had changed all the fans so these were spare. So fitted the 2 140mm on top of the avr pulling air up and then 4 120mm to get air into the cabinets and through and out the other side, all controlled by a cheap thermostat control, so rough atm but will tidy it all up later and get the controller on view to monitor temps

Back
Top Bottom