• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Any improvements with your Vega card in your sig? if you still have that.
I've still got the Vega yeah but didn't install the 20.8.1s. The 20.7.2 was the first time I updated the Vega in quite some time and only ran a few benchmarks like 3d mark and VR stuff. Easily got the highest score iv ever had without even pushing it as hard but like I said this was skipping a lot of other drivers. The 5600m in my laptop got 47fps in RDR2 with 20.8.1 up from 44fps with everything on high but they crashed the system.

Associate
I've raised a case on the AMD website for the terrible performance of the Vega 64 and for that matter 56 in Horizon Zero Dawn. I knew there was something wrong when afterburner was telling me it was only pulling 180watts when the card was at 100%. It usually pulls about 330watts as I have given it a slight tickle. Hardware unboxed did a game testing, and most of the time it was being beaten by an RX590 :eek::eek:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-0Arz1E8E
I was also seeing graphics RAM at 12GB with HBCC on and overall RAM usage at 21GB so there might be a cheeky memory leak aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got something I would like to test with those who are still experiencing black screens.

1) Open your AMD Radeon software (Radeon settings).
2) Click the Gear icon in the top right.
3) Click the General tab.
4) Scroll down to the bottom and find "Preferences"
5) Turn off In-game Overlay. Has to be done here and not just CTRL+SHIFT+O.

So, I've been running without the overlay active(like I described above) for ages and had no issues with black screens. Then yesterday, trying to figure out some stuff with a game, I turned the overlay on and boom 10 minutes in I got a black screen. Then it happened again half an hour later roughly with the same game. Got fairly annoyed and turned the overlay off(like described above, not just CTRL+SHIFT+O, and not a single black screen for over 4 hours playing the same game. So my suspicion here is that the silly overlay could be causing black screens.

Thanks for this post, Phixsator, I'm giving this a go now as I had a lock up yesterday morning when in a web conference and also random other black screens. The black screen issue is a weird one as it only affected my main monitor and if I switched it off and then back on again it would burst into life.

I'm still on the 20.7.1 drivers so if I continue to have problems then I may jump to the 20.8.1 to see if that makes a difference.

Soldato
Thanks for this post, Phixsator, I'm giving this a go now as I had a lock up yesterday morning when in a web conference and also random other black screens. The black screen issue is a weird one as it only affected my main monitor and if I switched it off and then back on again it would burst into life.

I'm still on the 20.7.1 drivers so if I continue to have problems then I may jump to the 20.8.1 to see if that makes a difference.

I hope it helps. Cause with it off I have never gotten a black screen.

Soldato
So I've just installed the new 20.8.1 driver and for the first time performance on my Vega 64 has degraded. Mainly due to stuttering. Gonna test a few more games but it doesn't look good. I will most likely revert to 20.7.2 or 20.7.1

Soldato
I went right back to 19.12.1. I've been having issues ever since that new UI came in (which is awful btw, why does it look like a touchscreen interface?). There is no noticeable performance difference vs current ones, even on newer games.

I've been getting random black screens in games and just idle on the desktop. Also some proper BSOD crashes and driver crashes mentioning amdkmdag.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the RX480 and haven't updated my drivers (16.11.5) for a while and was wondering which latest version is the most stable and should I use Recommended (WHQL) or Optional?

Caporegime
WHQL.

I went right back to 19.12.1. I've been having issues ever since that new UI came in (which is awful btw, why does it look like a touchscreen interface?). There is no noticeable performance difference vs current ones, even on newer games.

I've been getting random black screens in games and just idle on the desktop. Also some proper BSOD crashes and driver crashes mentioning amdkmdag.

Touchscreen laptops

Back
Top Bottom