New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
Just got it up and running on my gaming pc, which isn't really powerful enough, so I've just set it to 1440 120hz for now ... but it looks really nice, coming from my old monitor which isn't surprising. Free-sync enabled automatically in AMD drivers, not installed the dell monitor drivers yet. Should I do that or not bother?

Associate
Got mine today too, ordered yesterday from Dell. Massive upgrade from my 10 year old 24" Dell, amazingly it's about the same size overall and takes up less desk space.

No dead pixels or anything, though the bottom left side appears to be a little lighter... is that backlight bleed?

Associate
Got mine today too, ordered yesterday from Dell. Massive upgrade from my 10 year old 24" Dell, amazingly it's about the same size overall and takes up less desk space.

No dead pixels or anything, though the bottom left side appears to be a little lighter... is that backlight bleed?
Possibly just IPS glow.

Associate
OP
I’m getting quite a lot of glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. Really not if i should try and get it replaced.

I know its not the same monitor but i bought a triple monitor setup of the dell u2719D as i hate the light bleed and what you pay for its a joke as i know you can get 98% good ones.

I bought 3 two went back, one of the monitors is 98% perfect so kept that one. The two replacments i got one is going back but the other one is 98% perfect so kept that one so i have two good ones so far.

Waiting for the other replacment, Had 5 so far and out of the 5 two of the monitors are 98% spot on the third i have at the moment i prob could live with it as its in the corner but i can not help think i can get another 98% good one.

the thing is you pay as much money and i just can not keep somthing like that, but i now have two thats spot on.

another thing to note is the brighter you have the monitor the more you can see it as it shows it up more as your pumping more light but i calibrated mine to get 120cd/m2 which is still very bright and makes my 2% light bleed go away or very hard to see. but like i said my third monitor still has it more in the top and does not matter what brightness setting you have it at you can clearly still see it so that is getting a replacment.

Anyone who wants a triple or dual setup should buy a calibrator kit as i got the i1display pro plus as i noticed when calibrating the monitors which are identical model monitors

All three monitors 100% Red
GREEN Monitor 1 94%, Monitor 2 95%, Monitor 3 97%
BLUE Monitor1 98%, Monitor 2 100%, Monitor 3 99%

the dells seem to lack in RED and the green and blue needs adjusting so it might be the same for the S2721DGF

The One big adjustment was the brightness
Monitor 1 27%, Monitor 2 26%, Monitor 3 31%

one monitor is 27% and the other one 31% and there both at 120cd/m2 and i thought that was a massive settings difference but just goes to show you how the same monitors can be out by.

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn, only 1 display port? That's a shame, my work laptop docking station uses DP and I'd prefer my gaming PC to use DP as well to get the full refresh rate. My U2515H has 2xDP & 2xHDMI which makes switching between work/play easy.

Edit - I guess I'm being dumb, I'll just get an DP to HDMI adapter for my work docking station :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Im pretty ****** off with how the memory on the nvidia 970 is laid out also but didn't want to raise it in a thread about the
S2721DGF

I know its not the same monitor but i bought a triple monitor setup of the dell u2719D as i hate the light bleed and what you pay for its a joke as i know you can get 98% good ones.

Associate
I bought 3 two went back, one of the monitors is 98% perfect so kept that one. The two replacments i got one is going back but the other one is 98% perfect so kept that one so i have two good ones so far.
How easy was it to get them replaced? Just ring up dell and ask or refund and order another?

Soldato
Finally had a chance to check mine out over the weekend... Very happy! Minimal backlight bleed, nothing too excessive in the corners re: IPS glow, and no dead pixels etc. With some bias lighting, I think this will do me nicely for a few years.

Associate
So, after a brief wiz about in Doom Eternal the smoothness difference between AW3420DW (120hz) is immediately noticeable. I've my AW3420DW calibrated as per https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3420dw and pretty happy with it - so I've adjusted the S2721DGF to match using...
Preset Mode: Custom Colour
Gain: R=81 G=84 B-94
Brightness =35%
Contrast = 79%

..and end result is that they pretty much match. The colours are awesome
In terms of Glow/backlight bleed, the lower left has a good bit of "sheen" when view from the right edge displaying black backgounds, I can live with it. The colour uniformity in the AW3420DW is spectacular, which makes the Dell look poor, but again it's good enough. Looking directly whites or blacks from directly above are perfect, it's just that viewed at angle, introduces the "sheen" effect mentioned.

Associate
Got mine setup now, pretty happy with it. Maybe a slight dimming on the sides but can't tell if it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

Calibrated it with my Spyder4PRO and the included software. Then scrapped that and re did it with Display Cal.

Results below, this model is on the left. My older U2715H is on the right.. still unsure how to reduce the saturation or if it's even possible on the S2721DGF though. Anyone know?

1fNkYNg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom