Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
I found via CimAlp from OutdoorsMagic. "Best" trouser list https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-walking-trousers/ and then full review https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/cimalp-explore-h-pants-review/#bHIRq62y16wXYrOH.97

I'd like to try some Montane Terra at some point, though the discounted prices are always on the interesting colours or odd sizes.
I ordered some so shall see how they fit. I'm the heaviest I've ever been so will be interesting to see how they fit =)

Soldato
Just received a pair of Altra lone peak 4.0 they feel great but still a bit to tight for my wide feet, can anyone recommend some trail running shoes ? I am looking at Inov-8 X-Talon Ultra 260 atm.....

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m going up Ben Lomond on Saturday, hopefully getting there before 9am but worried the carpark will be full.
Anyone been recently?

Plan is up ptarmigan ridge route and then down the main trail.

In walking trouser news, I’ve just bought a random £20 pair from Amazon. But my
God, are walking trousers ugly!

Soldato
In walking trouser news, I’ve just bought a random £20 pair from Amazon. But my
God, are walking trousers ugly!

I agree, I don't really see the point in these kevlar knee patches .. when do you rub your knees against the ground,
I've cut up the shins with crampons, or bottoms with skis, and the crutches tend to go, through wear
things like zips, get in the way if you have a harness on too, what do you keep in these big pockets.

looking through the intreseting https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-walking-trousers/ from Chris, the trail tights would be my pick,
but climalp polymide+elastene look like they should stretch well which cotton and pertex in some of the others won't

Soldato
Just received a pair of Altra lone peak 4.0 they feel great but still a bit to tight for my wide feet, can anyone recommend some trail running shoes ? I am looking at Inov-8 X-Talon Ultra 260 atm.....

I wear Inov8 Roclite 315 shoes for all my trail running and walking. For most uses outside of winter I find them perfect. Annoyingly it seems they've stopped making that model now though and mine aren't far off needing to be replaced. Chamonix granite wasn't kind to them! As far as I can tell the new Roclite G 275 are the closest to that model now.

when do you rub your knees against the ground

I've been glad of throwing the odd Alpine Knee in on some routes! :D

Soldato
I ordered some so shall see how they fit. I'm the heaviest I've ever been so will be interesting to see how they fit =)
These turned up today, i'm currently wearing shorts and just shoved them on over the top and they fit just fine with them on so without my shorts should have a bit more room

Capodecina
Soldato
@JustBen, this has just dropped into my Inbox from the OS:
Maps on your phone that travel where you do.

Staycation walks are just that little bit more special. We can't decide if it's the packed lunch half way round, the flask full of coffee or just the extra time spent soaking up the view. Whichever it is, make time for staycation walks you'll never forget this summer with the OS Maps app.

Get unlimited OS Explorer and OS Landranger maps for the whole of GB and make time for amazing staycation walks. View what's around you, download maps to your phone and print out from home. With over 500,000 ready-made routes to try, wherever your staycation takes you, you'll never be far from discovering something new. (LINK).

Have a good one - stay clear of tastless coughers!

Soldato
Do they have a jeans type feel , or, more noticeable insulation quality ? eg. could you wear them today

'knee' - True, Whymper probably has prior art on the knee , but I'm sure Rebauffat wouldn't consider it.
Defo not like jeans for feeling. Hard to describe, I could wear them today. Qell for most of it apart from when I had bbq as I wouldn't expect they have great protection from fire haha

Soldato
Ordered osprey scarab 22 today should be here tomorrow then on Sunday I'm going to head up Carron Cragg with the girlfriend. Looking forward to it.
Found out one of the guys at work goes running up the mountains so might see if he fancies being a guide sometime. He went running up helvellyn which just seems crazy to me.

Soldato
Anyone here into wildcamping? I'm thinking about giving it a go, and just seeing if there are any tips or things to consider before my first try.

Obviously, the news is awash with people turning up at beauty spots, camping by their cars and leaving all their rubbish. This isn't something I want to do. Instead, drive somewhere, leave the car and walk around 45 minutes away to set up camp in the wilderness as best as possible. I've not bought the lightest of equipment, because it's stupid money, but been quite sensible. Only thing I'm yet to buy is a stove.

In Scotland, there's the right to camp basically anywhere which is good and I'm thinking the Galloway Forest sounds good for a first attempt. I'm thinking about going this weekend, but a bit nervous to do it by myself. My friends are up for camping, but not the 45 minute walk carrying all the gear!

I've decided on this after three hillwalks recently, and reckon a hillwalk and a camp is a great way to spend a weekend.

This was Ben Venue on Saturday morning, not bad for an hour from central Glasgow. I was meant to go up the much smaller Ben A'An but parked at the wrong car park and thought sod it.

qNvV4jAl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm doing my first wild camp early next month, can't wait!

You're very fortunate being in Scotland. Considerations are a little different down here, pitch up late and leave early. Obviously leave no trace as you said :)

I recently weaterproofed my Polish Lavvu in preparation but it would be way too hot inside in this weather. Better saved for winter I think. I would go for a light tent or hammock if the landscape allows for one.

I've enjoyed learning so far from a range of YouTube channels, quite enjoyed the content from this chap.

Have a look at the MSR Pocket rocket or maybe a Trangia alcohol stove, both simple enough for a camp.

Don
Been years since I wild camped, but done a lot of it in the Cairngorms when I was younger.

Got some expeditions into the wilds planned if we can get a good run of a few days of dry weather in the NW of Scotland for doing some more remote Munros.

Soldato
Quieter spots i.e. away from Loch Lomond/Trossachs and popular Munros are definitely the way to go at the moment. Galloway Forest is on my list too, we've mostly been hiking/camping between Peebles and Moffat this summer. Not a massive leap to going wildcamping if you're a regular hillwalker already - be aware of the extra weight of sleeping and cooking stuff when planning a route. Test your tent out in garden/living room, taking a new stove on a day hike to make lunch with is a good test, as is carrying the extra weight. Enjoy it, ultimately you can plan all you want but something is bound to not quite work so just roll with it (assuming the basic safety precautions).

Soldato
Looking for some walking / hiking shoes not to expensive under £100 heading up the lake district from the start of next month for a few days any recommendations?

Also anyone who visited the Lake district know of good walks out of Windermere or better hopping on the bus to Ambleside? I will be limited as not taking a car and staying in Windermere.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . .
Also anyone who visited the Lake district know of good walks out of Windermere or better hopping on the bus to Ambleside?. . .
Ambleside to Loughrigg Fell, down to Grasmere, into Grasmere, the Coffin Route to Rydal Mount, Rydal Park and back to Ambleside.

ps - Windermere is FULL of tourists :(

Soldato
Anyone here into wildcamping? I'm thinking about giving it a go, and just seeing if there are any tips or things to consider before my first try.

I'm thinking the Galloway Forest sounds good for a first attempt.

So I convinced the girlfriend to come with me, packed up the car and headed for Galloway Forest and the Merrick (highest hill in Southern Uplands & Southern Scotland.
Great walk up the Merrick, found it tougher than Ben Venue and Ben Lomond but thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, on to find a campsite! There was an ever so slight breeze blowing south, so thought the south side of Loch Trool would be good. Off we go. Walked for 35 minutes or so, and found a good spot.
Dumped our stuff, and I went for a quick walk to see what was what. I came back three minutes later, my girlfriend was absolutely covered in midges.
Literally, all over.
We were both covered in Smidge but still they came. They then started on me. It was relentless. We stayed for around 10 minutes, but decided it just wasn't worth it and headed back to the car. We stopped a couple of times on the walk back to the car further from the loch but after 2 minutes the hoard had arrived.

I am covered in bites, as is she.

We could have stayed, but it wouldn't have been worth it and she was already looking pretty miserable. I think for my next attempt I'll seek some altitude.

Looking South West over Loch Enoch - which looks like a great place to camp! Nice sandy beaches.
qLRwTxc.png

Culsharg Bothy
C9PVQks.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The best way to avoid them is to use the wind. Beaches by the sea or large lochs are good, Hilltops and ridges, or bealachs/cols where the wind gets funnelled up the valley are all good. Avoid trees or anything else which could act as a wind break. Pitch the tent facing into the wind.

If there's no wind at all, you need to keep moving to avoid them. They can't fly as fast as you can walk so you're fine as long as you dont stop too much. Stop somewhere and cook your food before you stop to set up camp. Try to find exposed areas, as above, to avoid midges. Bothies (when they're open again) are great for this. Even if you're not staying there overnight, you can go in for some shelter and do your cooking. Then when you get to your camp spot you just need to set up the tent and get inside. Same thing in the morning - pack up and start moving as soon as possible. Then make some stops along the way for cooking breakfast, brushing teeth, washing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom