Rear bumper totalled

Soldato
@Merlin5 , this is exactly as I told you it would happen in my earlier post. Having had their client admit liabilty they HAVE to sort it out for you, and the best way for THEM is to control the whole process, because if they control the process they control the costs.

However, you are perfectly entitled to have the work carried out at a garage of your choice, but they will need an official estimate from them before authorising the work. Personally, under the circumstances I would let them do it through their preferred repairer, because then if things don't come back exactly as you want them then you can push back really hard.

This is an entirely normal process to go through, and now you just need to sit back and chill and let things take their course.

Soldato
OP
If they write it off and they lowball you an offer, you don't have to accept it. But you will need to show with other examples that it's worth more.

Always use the 3rd parties insurance. If you go through yours and your neighbour changes his story, then with no witnesses it could go 50:50. A bit extreme I know, but not worth doing anything else.

Never go through your own insurance if someone else is at fault, especially if they've admitted fault completely. If you go via your insurance company you'll have to pay out and eventually get your excess etc back but going via theirs means you pay nothing and they will sort out the car / give you money if they deem it a write off.

Your doing the 3rd parties ins co a favour dealing with them, they know that and you will benefit
The last thing they want is other people involved

@Merlin5 , this is exactly as I told you it would happen in my earlier post. Having had their client admit liabilty they HAVE to sort it out for you, and the best way for THEM is to control the whole process, because if they control the process they control the costs.

However, you are perfectly entitled to have the work carried out at a garage of your choice, but they will need an official estimate from them before authorising the work. Personally, under the circumstances I would let them do it through their preferred repairer, because then if things don't come back exactly as you want them then you can push back really hard.

This is an entirely normal process to go through, and now you just need to sit back and chill and let things take their course.

Thank you very much chaps! That's four yes's which is what I needed to see and that's good enough for me. I've just emailed Freeway to confirm I'm happy to deal with them as long as they use my repairer. Plus my mate who recommended me the mechanic also told me I should deal through his insurers directly too because he's had that experience a few times and it's worked out fine for him.

Havana_UK, I'm confident that my mate's mechanic will do a fine job. Not only that, but because he'll have the paint he's able to do some other body work for me while he has my car for a lot cheaper. So I'd prefer to use him.

Last edited:
Soldato
the document doesn't seem to discuss the assessment process -
I had been told keep the vehicle in your possession, be in attendance, to prevent any fait-accompli write-off.

Soldato
OP
Just to update you guys. Everything is going ahead. I got an email from Freeway which says this:

"HI Mr xxxxxx,

I am authorising the garage this morning to start the work ASAP. When you have a booking in date can you call Freeway if you require a replacement vehicle - if you could perhaps provide us with 24 hrs notice this would give us time to logistically arrange delivery.

When the vehicle has been repaired if you advise the garage upon collection to email the invoice and the signed satisfaction note to our offer we will arrange immediate payment to them.

Kind regards
"

Can't say fairer than that. Hoping it might get done next week. While it's there and he'll have the paint, I'm paying to get some other bodywork sorted, about £300.

Soldato
Exactly, Semple! And thanks Dis86, but you might get annoyed by my drumming! :p

Right, I've told him that I've had to change my mind on waiting for the 9th because my insurers won't be able to open a claim if I leave it any longer, and that I'm now officially putting it through insurance. I wish I'd decided this earlier because they close at 3pm, just missed them. Will have to call them tomorrow.

Now, the conversation stayed polite, but he said to me that I'd ballsed things up, lol. I said "how so?" He said "well you said one thing and then did another. That we'd get quotes and do it privately and now you're going through the insurance. You've informed the police and your insurers but I haven't". Like that's my fault!
He didn't like that I'd informed the police and informed my insurers. I said "I'm sorry mate, but if for any reason you don't have the cash by the 9th, I'm stuffed". He then says "oh no, I want to go through insurance, but the thing is, my address details for my insurance are with my dad. What do you think, do you think it'll be ok?" I said "I don't know, you better call them". So we ended the conversation without an argument but I could tell how peed off he was with me because he didn't say goodbye. Tough **** as far as I'm concerned.

So there we go, another good reason he wanted to avoid going through insurance.

I wonder if he'll magically come up with the cash.

So basically he's commiting insurance fraud and the reason he didn't want to go via insurance was the fear that they figured out that he'd done this and cancelled his policy, which he would then have to declare to other prospective insurers of which many will not offer cover and those that do will be extremely high.

Soldato
OP
So basically he's commiting insurance fraud and the reason he didn't want to go via insurance was the fear that they figured out that he'd done this and cancelled his policy, which he would then have to declare to other prospective insurers of which many will not offer cover and those that do will be extremely high.

Yeah, no doubt. His insurers are taking care of me but I'm wondering what they're intending to do with him and his policy.

Soldato
Yeah, no doubt. His insurers are taking care of me but I'm wondering what they're intending to do with him and his policy.

At minimum they probably issue a warning, change his address, increase his premium to reflect the new address & probably back-charge a number of months. However they should really report it to IFED to see if there's a criminal case to answer RE: insurance fraud, of which I have no doubt, it's not like he previously lived there and overlooked changing the address. They should at minimum cancel the policy.

Soldato
The reason the email sounds so 'we'll do whatever you want' is because of the absolutely frightening rates charged for credit hire that they'd potentially be liable for if you want through an accident management company.
It seems to be a good thing in that it actively encourages insurers to actually offer a good service to third parties, as in this case - and keeps our premiums a bit lower to boot.

When someone opened their door hard into my car some years ago in a car park, the third party insurance company couldn't do enough to get me to put the claim in directly and leave my insurer / any accident management companies out of it.

Soldato
OP
The reason the email sounds so 'we'll do whatever you want' is because of the absolutely frightening rates charged for credit hire that they'd potentially be liable for if you want through an accident management company.
It seems to be a good thing in that it actively encourages insurers to actually offer a good service to third parties, as in this case - and keeps our premiums a bit lower to boot.

When someone opened their door hard into my car some years ago in a car park, the third party insurance company couldn't do enough to get me to put the claim in directly and leave my insurer / any accident management companies out of it.

Yeah, you're right. His insurance company have been very good and agreed to what I wanted. My car went in yesterday to be repaired, should get it back Friday or maybe next week.
So I dropped the car off at the garage, my mate picked me up to take me home and on the way stopped at a cafe, I bought us a breakfast fry up and sat outside in the sun taking photos of prancing horses. A nice morning.

Kindertons on behalf of his insurers came to my house in the afternoon and dropped me a 19 plate Seat Leon. It's very nice. Won't drive it much though, if I so much as kerb a wheel it'll be trouble, lol. Love the smell of a new car.

20200810-155233.jpg

20200810-154846.jpg

Soldato
I've had a Leon since May last year yet I'm still shocked by how bland that centre console design is :eek: :o

Good to hear it is all getting resolved.

Was just thinking the same. I think it's the air vents that are ruining it. Air vents are supposed to look a bit more stylish, those look like something my mum had on her metro in 1995.

Soldato
I've had a Leon since May last year yet I'm still shocked by how bland that centre console design is :eek: :o

Good to hear it is all getting resolved.

Change the aircon controls to a fanspeed 1/2/3, air direction & temperature dials & stick a double din stereo in place of that screen & they would easily pass for a 20 year old car interior lol

Caporegime
I like the Leon interior. In FR or Cupra guise with alcantara and red bits its one of my favourite compact interiors. :p

Change the aircon controls to a fanspeed 1/2/3, air direction & temperature dials & stick a double din stereo in place of that screen & they would easily pass for a 20 year old car interior lol

Mmmmmmm maybe, not really, no. :p

12 year old, maybe, if you ignore the buttons and things.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the Leon interior. In FR or Cupra guise with alcantara and red bits its one of my favourite compact interiors. :p

Mmmmmmm maybe, not really, no. :p

12 year old, maybe, if you ignore the buttons and things.

Ok, maybe 15 years.

That's why I said if you bin the screen & change the climate controls for dials (although you could get screens in cars 20 years ago I guess)

It just looks very sort of basic but I guess that's because most courtesy cars are boggo spec ones? I guess with better seats & a smattering of heated seat controls along with less blanks & plain grey plastic it might make it look a bit less basic.

Soldato
OP
Do they fit black boxes to courtesy cars?

This is a text I got from them yesterday .

Important information regarding your hire vehicle:

-All vehicles are non-smoking. They will be delivered with some fuel in them, please ensure the vehicle is returned with the same amount.

-All of our vehicles are monitored with a telematics device to ensure reasonable driver behaviour. We would not look to intervene on the whereabouts of the vehicle unless we believe the vehicle is being driven recklessly.

-Please be aware you are responsible for all penalties incurred in the hire vehicle, you will be provided with a tolls and charges form upon delivery, please ensure this is read carefully.

Back
Top Bottom