• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
A little nostalgic and nonsense but a good read all the same, looking forward to what they post for the next 21 days.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ultimatecountdown/

It is I started off with a GTS2 product after Voodoo 3DFX, good performance at a sensible price that was Nvidia. Success doesn't equal the right to fleece customers... joke of it is Nvidia have so much room to manoeuvre but they are so obsessed with commercial gain at any cost they've lost sight of the customer

Caporegime
It is I started off with a GTS2 product after Voodoo 3DFX, good performance at a sensible price that was Nvidia. Success doesn't equal the right to fleece customers... joke of it is Nvidia have so much room to manoeuvre but they are so obsessed with commercial gain at any cost they've lost sight of the customer
I don't think that they have lost sight of the customer.

I think that they have their customers well and truly in their reticles and understand what the market will bear, as well as their competitive position.

Yes they might have gone a bit far with their Turing pricing (and to correct you, they have every right to do that), but understanding your customer does not mean doing everything they want.

In fact the customer is entirely to blame for any perceived commercial exploitation, the concept of which is a contradiction in a free market.

Soldato

Because,in the last couple of decades,companies are obsessed with short termism,instead of anything else:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/short-term-thinking/511874/

Basically if you read that article,the whole system is geared towards short termism,and there is little incentive for more longterm thinking. In the past companies,were more interested in long term goals,but nowadays companies would rather take less sales,if it means margins are preserved. Intel is a prime example of this,at least Nvidia does try and push different things TBF.

Soldato
Because,in the last couple of decades,companies are obsessed with short termism,instead of anything else:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/short-term-thinking/511874/

Basically if you read that article,the whole system is geared towards short termism,and there is little incentive for more longterm thinking. In the past companies,were more interested in long term goals,but nowadays companies would rather take less sales,if it means margins are preserved. Intel is a prime example of this,at least Nvidia does try and push different things TBF.
Look where that got Intel. You sit at the top getting comfy eventually someone is gonna come snapping at your heels. Let's hope AMD bring something good

Soldato
Look where that got Intel. You sit at the top getting comfy eventually someone is gonna come snapping at your heels. Let's hope AMD bring something good

Yes,but AMD also is caught in this trap too,ie,why they are trying to push their own prices up too. The issue is these companies could possibly make more money if they dropped prices,and got more sales,but the financial markets are so obsessed by quarter to quarter metrics(margins being one of them),its like a shackle around them. Apple even decided higher ASPs were preferable to more sales,and then stopped publishing sales figures. They are petrified the "investors" will hammer their share price.

Soldato
Yea, I don’t get his post either. How is that damage control?

I mean were people really expecting an “nvidia killer”? Essentially what it sounds like he is saying is unless AMD decimate Nvidia’s top Ampere card, then they have failed and will need to do damage control. Lol.

As much as I want AMD to bring out a true Nvidia killer, what I would much prefer is for them to improve price for performance in a big way. Like if they can release a card that competes with a 3080 and does it for $599 or a 2080Ti performance card for $399, now that would be laying the smack down and stopping Nvidia just pricing things silly.

You think AMD are going to do that?
I speculate, at most, they will match NVIDIA performance for 100 dollars less.

Back
Top Bottom