New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
Reddit post for new Dell roadmap showing two new Alienware monitors this autumn.
AW2721D - 27", 16:9 1440p, 240hz, 1MS fast IPS, HDR 600, and G-Sync Ultimate
AW3821DW - 38", 21:9, 1440p, 144hz, 1MS fast IPS, HDR600, and G-Sync Ultimate

Alienware seem to be matching LG and filling out their line up that missed 27" 1440P.
Interesting to see how the 27" 1440P IPS 240Hz comes out against the 27" G7.

I assume G-Sync Ultimate needs the v2 module, so these will have none of the vsync issues plaguing the Odyssey range.

Associate
let's just hope that DELL actually implements their own gsync module cooling solution instead of using that horrific loud fan. would be ideal, if they managed to actually passively cool the module.

Associate
let's just hope that DELL actually implements their own gsync module cooling solution instead of using that horrific loud fan. would be ideal, if they managed to actually passively cool the module.
TFT Central thinks it's likely to be a standard G-Sync module as one of the criteria for G-Sync Ultimate is HDR 1000 spec and these will only be HDR 600.

Associate
OP
TFT Central thinks it's likely to be a standard G-Sync module as one of the criteria for G-Sync Ultimate is HDR 1000 spec and these will only be HDR 600.
Just saw that, thanks for info. The reddit post of the roadmap states £659 for the 27" and £1299 for the 38", so they must have the v2 module to support the Hz, but with no FALD or even 8-10 edge like the Odyssey series, so the change to the g-sync spec. If these prices are correct, then we can assume that the v2 module is having a price drop to support the recent increases in Hz for mainstream monitors.
I have recently been thinking that maybe the G-sync module was going to disappear due to the success of the software implementation, but its still got it uses cases for certain ranges.
The other standard Dell gaming monitors also look really well specified for their price. We are staring to see some great choice for consumers now.

Man of Honour
Sorry I meant that I expect it might not carry the Ultimate Certification given the lack of HDR1000 and FALD, but it will still need the v2 module to support the bandwidths and interfaces like DP 1.4. And that module currently needs an active cooling solution but the type of fan varies depending on screen manufacturer

This is all unless NVIDIA have a new module which is possible in theory but not something I’ve seen confirmed

Associate
OP
Sorry I meant that I expect it might not carry the Ultimate Certification given the lack of HDR1000 and FALD, but it will still need the v2 module to support the bandwidths and interfaces like DP 1.4. And that module currently needs an active cooling solution but the type of fan varies depending on screen manufacturer

This is all unless NVIDIA have a new module which is possible in theory but not something I’ve seen confirmed
Do you know if the fan is required due to the module controlling FALD or that the extra Hz bumps up the heat as well?
With the industry moving the Hz up across all screen sizes, I assume Nvidia have to account for that and need a new v1 type module just for the extra Hz.

Man of Honour
Do you know if the fan is required due to the module controlling FALD or that the extra Hz bumps up the heat as well?
With the industry moving the Hz up across all screen sizes, I assume Nvidia have to account for that and need a new v1 type module just for the extra Hz.
It’s not specific to the screen having FALD, although many v2 module screens do have that and I’m sure it doesn’t help with the heat :) but the fan is needed in general at the moment for the module chip. I’m assuming is related to processing the higher bandwidths for the DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 interfaces for higher res/refresh rates

Permabanned
How can you justify that the screen costs £659 when i got a Fast IPS 24inch 1080p for £268? How do they work out the costs? The VG259QM is also fast IPD as well.

Associate
How can you justify that the screen costs £659 when i got a Fast IPS 24inch 1080p for £268? How do they work out the costs? The VG259QM is also fast IPD as well.
Higher resolution, better panel, G-Sync module.

Think it's been reported that a G-Sync module alone will add £100 to a price tag.

Permabanned
Had the 38 been 3440x1440 I would have bought one, but I really don't want MORE resolution at this stage, lol.

Back
Top Bottom