What's your Views on this new roundabout

Soldato
Way too much going on there..

Probably a bit dangerous, people aren't going to stop mid-roundabout to give way to cyclists. If they even see them coming that is.

Cambridge council is notoriously a bit **** and loves this kind of thing, so not surprising.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i saw an article on this the other day, does seem very 'busy' the thing i dislike the most is that you have to give way leaving the roundabout too which i just can't see people doing as it's just so different from a regular roundabout.

Even if people are used to seeing a zebra crossing and knowing you need to make sure its clear to go we're all so conditioned to just being able to drive straight off roundabouts so i can see it causing lots of confusion.

Soldato
Also why does only one exit actually have a give way sign? No island either O_o

It's like 2 different sets of contractors worked on it.

Soldato
they may aswell put stop signs at each exit like at junctions in the US...looks like you'd need to twist your head right round to look and check if a cyclist is whoring round the red ring :p rather than the more usual looking left and right
don't see how you can check if a cyclist is approaching without pretty much stopping at the line

Soldato
they may aswell put stop signs at each exit like at junctions in the US...looks like you'd need to twist your head right round to look and check if a cyclist is whoring round the red ring :p rather than the more usual looking left and right
don't see how you can check if a cyclist is approaching without pretty much stopping at the line

If they are parallel to your left rear, they will be right in the blind spot as you are exiting :/

Soldato
The big circle bicycle lane needs to be much further back, making a much bigger circle. There's no reason for it to be placed where it is.

Soldato
crap like we said in gd thread ...

the youtube girls was killed on a similar one, and if you heard motorist interviews on news, last week no one knows who has priority
yes, the mini lights are different, but the cyclist , or escooterists(do they have a name yet?), may well pull/continue blindly across the road assuming the motorist has stopped and has seen them;
with a zebra crossing, people know (tufty ?) you don't walk blindly across and similar behaviour needs to be instilled in *ists, for these.

Now(for first time) looking at the genuine dutch version the motorist has priority, and, maybe the lights vetrsion is better in that respect, albeit uk mortality.

https://youtu.be/q664_GjTyoE?t=245

edit : report https://trl.co.uk/media/839260/ppr751_dutch_roundabout_safety_v1.pdf

Soldato
OP
Like you guys have said i think there far to many things to try keep an eye on at the same time as actually looking where you're going..

Surely for the 2 million it cost to build that they could made a bridge over it or a tunnel under it for cyclists and pedestrians to use or something

Soldato
On the real Dutch ones the crossing are much further back, so cars are off the roundabout and have room to stop. Also the Dutch roads are nowhere near as busy as ours. Cambridge traffic is almost as bad as London now.

With this design people will backed up on to the roundabout. So a big risk of being rear-ended, probably in to cyclists...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Also the Dutch roads are nowhere near as busy as ours.
What the **** are you talking about? Not only does the Netherlands have almost double the population density of the UK, but it also has more cars per capita than the UK.

You'd be lucky not to get stuck in traffic unless you're driving at some ungodly hour. Also hideous amounts of bicycles in built-up areas, in addition to cars.

Soldato
OP
Where that black car is waiting it looks like a lorry, bus, car+ trailer etc wouldn't fit without over hanging right across the cycle lane & zebra crossing :eek:

Plus that black car looks tiny like it a smart car or something

Soldato
Wasn't there a ton of stuff going on a couple of years back about getting rid of excess road furniture/signage so that drivers could concentrate on navigating the road and driving safely? It seems to me this setup is far too busy with far too much going on, and makes the mistake of putting cars and cyclists in the same place at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom