MSI B550 ITX - Non standard motherboard

Rup

Rup

Associate
MSI have put chips on the back of the mobo in unsual places so have a non-standard backplate. Which means some coolers will not fit eg my nice & expensive Noctua NH-L9a!

Total stupidity by MSI, never going to buy another of their boards again!

Have emailed both MSI & Noctua support. MSI said to check for other screws! Noctua asked for pictures, have sent them this thread too.

Threads on reddit also mention same issue.

Associate
I was reading about this as was concerned about it fitting into a NZXT H1. Someone on Reddit said this MB worked with the H1 without needing to be sent any other adaptors.

Soldato
I've just bought this board and I'll be fitting an EK Supremacy EVO to it - suspect there shouldn't be issues. What problem does it cause? I'm not familiar with that cooler.

Soldato
I was reading about this as was concerned about it fitting into a NZXT H1. Someone on Reddit said this MB worked with the H1 without needing to be sent any other adaptors.

Assuming MSI are still using the standard AM4 bracket on the front then it will fit the H1's AIO fine as it uses tabs that screw/bolt onto the existing bracket.

It sounds like more of an issue if you have to use a different backplate to the one MSI have fitted.

Associate
Assuming MSI are still using the standard AM4 bracket on the front then it will fit the H1's AIO fine as it uses tabs that screw/bolt onto the existing bracket.

It sounds like more of an issue if you have to use a different backplate to the one MSI have fitted.

Ahh many thanks as that puts my mind at ease. I read the Gigabyte Aoruis Mini ITX has no USB C internal header but has 2 full PCI E 4 NVME slots. The MSI has internal USB C slot ( useful for NZXT H1 ) but only 1 full PCI E 4 slot. MSI also has SPDIF which something I am not bothered about but other people may be as its rare I think on ITX.

To be fair my mind is swinging to the MSI as USB C is becoming more and more common.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
The screws on Noctua cooler will not fit thru the backplate and into the cooler. It's screwed in from the back.
Can't use another backplate as the MSI has different cut outs than normal for chips on the back of the pcb.

Would presume anything that screws in from the front will work. Eg using it now with wraith prism.

Associate
The screws on Noctua cooler will not fit thru the backplate and into the cooler. It's screwed in from the back.
Can't use another backplate as the MSI has different cut outs than normal for chips on the back of the pcb.

Would presume anything that screws in from the front will work. Eg using it now with wraith prism.

ahh thanks I think I will probably choose this for my h1 build.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
Noctua are sending me the spacers so can mount without backplate. Still PITA as have to remove mobo to do.

Soldato
I've just tried to fit my EK AM4 backplate to this board and it won't fit due to the 3 sections of components on the back of the board that interfere with the backplate.

ASRock B450i at the top, MSI B550i at the bottom.

Soldato
I had a quick look online and haven't found anything that would fit either. The EK bracket I'm using has the specific thread sizes for the Supremacy Evo screws so I can't use the standard MSI backplate. I've managed to make it work by adding 2 extra holes with the dremmel.

Associate
Hello everyone,

We'd like you to know that we are aware of this issue and currently working on possible workarounds, please stay tuned.

Packing so many features on a ITX sized board is a quite big challenge and our engineers needed to use every possible PCB area to do that, yet we are determined to provide a solution for our users!

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
Hello everyone,

We'd like you to know that we are aware of this issue and currently working on possible workarounds, please stay tuned.

Packing so many features on a ITX sized board is a quite big challenge and our engineers needed to use every possible PCB area to do that, yet we are determined to provide a solution for our users!

As the OP, thanks for looking into it MSI. Pls do advise when you have a solution.

Associate
Cheers, I was looking at this board before I saw this, it's a serious problem for what appears to be one of the better B550i boards, and an expensive one at that. Kind of narrows down the only other options to Asus or the Gigabyte Auros AX, though it's the most difficult one to obtain.

Associate
Yeah its a great board - I use it in my mini ITX H1. Lucky i read this and the others pointed out as I wasnt removing the backplate I would be fine. They were right. Great board and great price for it as well. Same price as the Gigabyte but this also has a front USB C connector ( these seem rare on B550 Itx boards ) which I wanted.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the patience. We have an update for one of the most popular SFF coolers, Noctua NH-L9a.

There is an alternative mounting method for NH-L9a cooler which does not involve the backplate. Instead, this backplate-less method uses thick green washers and screws.

RQoV7eP.jpg

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-offers-alternative-mounting-option-for-nh-l9a-cooler-free-of-charge

The 4 screws in the picture are already present in the NH-L9a-AM4's box so only missing parts for the alternative mounting mechanism are the washers. We've sourced some spare washers and they are on it's way to MSI UK office at the moment. If you have NH-L9a-AM4 cooler and MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi motherboard, please send an email to [email protected] and we are happy to dispatch the necessary washers to you when they arrive at our UK office. Please note that we will require proof of purchase for both units (mb and cooler) such as invoice to dispatch the washers. If you don't have the invoices, do not worry, you can also send a picture showing both units side by side :)

If you have any other cooler that has similar compatibility issues, please let us know and we will try to find a solution for your cooler, too.

Best regards,

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
MSIUKSupport.
Already have this from Noctua. Was hoping for a better solution as removing the back plate will put extra undue stress on the mobo.
Can we have an assurance that if the mobo is damaged due to this solution, MSI will accept warranty claims for this?

Back
Top Bottom