Split Air con

Man of Honour
Had a quote for split AC for my bedroom and office, £2.6k for Mitsubishi units 2x2kw & 4.5kw outdoor unit which isn't too bad I think, as it will require routing the piping through the loft and down into the rooms. However its more than I'd like to spend, at least in one go, so going to see how much it is to just do the main bedroom. I think it would be ~1.5k and see whether that can help cool the second room as the doors are always left open so its kind of just open space upstairs. I think if I did do two units I would actually have the second one downstairs to cover the living room/dining area.

Don
My 2k Daikin for main bedroom was £900 fitted inc electrical work

That was cash and a bit of a favour though, I have a mate who owns an aircon company (not local to you) and he has been advertising what you want at 1349 all in, just top give you an idea what to aim for

RJC

RJC

Don
I assume you will have to have these units serviced annually?

Just a filter clean for the cooler and check the condenser for buildup of leaves ect.

If the unit is used for long periods you might want to sanitize the coil.

Not much else you can do really.

Man of Honour
My 2k Daikin for main bedroom was £900 fitted inc electrical work

That was cash and a bit of a favour though, I have a mate who owns an aircon company (not local to you) and he has been advertising what you want at 1349 all in, just top give you an idea what to aim for
Cheers :cool:

Don
air con - I'm melting and the newborn is kicking right off :D:p

residential, possibly split system - looking for quotes at the moment ahead of getting something installed probably next year now

Don
can;t see anyone quoting for a year ahead but closer to time let me know and I'll give you an contact, you will be looking at £2-2.3k for a 2 room split and as above for one room

Associate
Considering aircon in the new house once moved, though likely we'll be past the main bulk of heat by then.
Would prices be cheaper if we chose to get it fitted over winter, where i'd presume the aircon companies would have a quieter period or is that nonsense?

Soldato
Yes - I am wondering the same as you could claim it is being used for heating.

My thoughts exactly, I've gone on a few of the websites and it appears there are a range of air heat pumps that do AC that are certified, so will wait for the scheme to be launched and get in touch with some local installers to see what's what.

Soldato
I think I will try the solar film as @R4z0r suggested first. We had a really hot day today in Cambridge (36c) and only my kitchen got to 26c as that is the only room with the sun on it from about 12pm without any AC. The rest of the house was 21-22c.

So I had the solar control film quote for my downstairs loo, kitchen and 2 upstairs bedrooms (bedrooms have AC installed) for £280 all in. This was fitted today. My gosh it really does make a difference. I can stand in front of the windows with the blinds up and not feel uncomfortable at all. If I put my hand a few mm from the window, I can feel a little bit of warmth. I think the solar rejection is 78% but it feels like more tbh.

It is difficult to compare the temperatures in my kitchen with the temps in my quote as the room was already 24.5c first thing this morning where as the other day I had a breeze running through which dropped it to 19c before creeping up to 26c. At the moment, the kitchen is currently 25.5c so I think its doing a good job so far!

Oh and it stops the glare on my PC monitor so I don't have to sit like a hermit in the dark.

Soldato
I am quite keen to maintain a comfortable temperature all year round. The AC works wonders for the upstairs and even cools the lounge on the bottom floor but the kitchen was a sun trap in the summer as it has a lot of glass, even with blinds always shut it still gets hot. At least now I don't have to have most of my house in darkness.

My garden in SW facing so I am not sure I really benefit much from the winter sun as it is quite low in the sky.

Soldato
A question from someone who knows no more than I have read in this thread!

I have been thinking about what set-up would work in our house - and for the bedrooms (well 2x bedrooms, 1x home office) where I would want the aircon, the external walls are difficult because of either being very visible from outside, or having built in stuff in the way.

Does such a product exist as an aircon system where the internal end is in the loft, with ducting to take the air into the rooms via the ceiling? I was thinking this would avoid having to have pumped condensate, as the piping would only have to go down from that main unit.

If such a thing does exist, does it limit the individual control between those three rooms? And is is significantly more expensive?

Back
Top Bottom