Need advice thinking out this upgrade/sidegrade dilemma please?

Associate
Hi,

I need some help with this predicament, I just need to make sure I'm not throwing money away on stuff that I wont see any noticeable difference for what is primarily a gaming machine whilst bearing in mind I have an opportunity to upgrade now so it might be worthwhile.

I'm downsizing from ATX to ITX, I have the case and PSU on order and I've bought a used 3600 off the MM as temporary CPU until 4000 series is released at which point I'll be upgrading to 4000

My brother wants my current build which is a 2600X on a B450 board, I need a new ITX board regardless so this is where the issue is.

1 - Do I do a complete sidegrade to a B450 ITX board and use the 3600 (4000 will still work when its released) I can keep my current RAM and 2.5" SSD saving myself a decent chunk of money and still upgrade to 4000 when it comes out but miss out on PCIE4. My Brother will be a bit annoyed as he'll have to buy new RAM and SSD which cost him more.

2 - Buy a B550 ITX board, use the 3600 and upgrade to 4000 series when its released, buy a PCIE4 NVME and new faster RAM. This way my Brother gets my current system in its entirety which is an easy one stop sale of all parts and I get PCIE4 future proofing, a faster drive and more faster RAM but its costs me more, quite a lot more.

So option 1 or 2? I think I've included everything in the dilemma and would be keen to hear other peoples thoughts on what they would do.

Thanks

Soldato
There are a couple of red herrings in there.

You're free to buy faster RAM or keep the old stuff whichever board you go for. You'll also not notice a worthwhile benefit from a pcie4 drive unless you're regularly throwing huge amounts of data around.

Personally I'd go a middle way. Get the B550 board for easy compatability with the new Ryzen chips and keep your old SSD and RAM.

Back
Top Bottom