MSI B550 ITX - Non standard motherboard

Associate
MSIUKSupport.
Already have this from Noctua. Was hoping for a better solution as removing the back plate will put extra undue stress on the mobo.
Can we have an assurance that if the mobo is damaged due to this solution, MSI will accept warranty claims for this?

The cooler was released before the motherboard, @MSIUK Support have went over and above and at cost to them sourced the Noctua washers and seem to be sending them free at even more cost. As per their Warranty Terms,
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by installation, repair, modification or removal (breaking mark, damage or loss of the product compliance label) performed by service centers or personnel not authorized by MSI;
  • Any product breakdown or damage caused by use of parts not certified by the MSI's original factory;
If the cooler isn't listed as a compatible cooler in the user manual then its unlikely MSI will take any ownership of issues that arise, removing standard cooler backing plate is a modification. The liability would be on Noctua to redesign a backplate suitable for the board and getting compatibility certification from MSI of it being an approved and tested product.

Soldato
Was hoping for a better solution as removing the back plate will put extra undue stress on the mobo.
lol, it really won't. That low-profile Noctua weighs practically nothing.
Can we have an assurance that if the mobo is damaged due to this solution, MSI will accept warranty claims for this?
Why would they? You've stated already that you're using coolers which are fine. Your choice of cooler is not MSI's responsibility. MSI produce compatibility matrices for their products, knowing full well that some things may not work. If you want to use something that is incompatible with their product then it is your responsibility to accept the risks that arise. If you are not prepared to take that risk then don't use the problematic cooler.

The sense of entitlement these days is horrific.

Or just cut some damn holes in the Noctua backplate and be done with it.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
The cooler was released before the motherboard, @MSIUK Support have went over and above and at cost to them sourced the Noctua washers and seem to be sending them free at even more cost. As per their Warranty Terms,
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by installation, repair, modification or removal (breaking mark, damage or loss of the product compliance label) performed by service centers or personnel not authorized by MSI;
  • Any product breakdown or damage caused by use of parts not certified by the MSI's original factory;
If the cooler isn't listed as a compatible cooler in the user manual then its unlikely MSI will take any ownership of issues that arise, removing standard cooler backing plate is a modification. The liability would be on Noctua to redesign a backplate suitable for the board and getting compatibility certification from MSI of it being an approved and tested product.
Removing the backplate is being suggested as a fix by MSI support! Not me!
To alleviate the issue with MSI putting chips in unusual places on the back of the mobo. All other manufacturers have managed to make B550 ITX boards without having to do this.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
lol, it really won't. That low-profile Noctua weighs practically nothing.

Why would they? You've stated already that you're using coolers which are fine. Your choice of cooler is not MSI's responsibility. MSI produce compatibility matrices for their products, knowing full well that some things may not work. If you want to use something that is incompatible with their product then it is your responsibility to accept the risks that arise. If you are not prepared to take that risk then don't use the problematic cooler.

The sense of entitlement these days is horrific.

Or just cut some damn holes in the Noctua backplate and be done with it.

Removing the backplate a fix being suggested by MSI support, not by me!
Have you bothered to read any of this thread or do you just like being rude & wrong!

Soldato
Removing the backplate a fix being suggested by MSI support, not by me!
Have you bothered to read any of this thread or do you just like being rude & wrong!
No, I have read the entire thread and whilst inconvenient, it is you who's wrong. On a cooler as light as that low profile Noctua the backplate is not necessary. It exerts no force on the motherboard. So whilst not ideal, removing the backplate as a fix is perfectly fine, especially as NOCTUA have determined using spacers on thr cooler acceptable.

Are you questioning Noctua?

And then you start bleating on about MSI taking responsibility if something goes wrong when this actually has nothing to do with them? If anything, Noctua should share responsibility if their fix of removing the backplate causes a problem. And insinuating MSI don't know what they're doing because "other manufacturers managed" to not put components on the rear of the board?

Are you questioning MSI?

If you think I'm being rude then stop throwing self-entitled temper tantrums because you encountered a compatibility issues that happens ALL THE TIME in DIY computer building. I won't have to call you out on it then.

Associate
Removing the backplate is being suggested as a fix by MSI support! Not me!
To alleviate the issue with MSI putting chips in unusual places on the back of the mobo. All other manufacturers have managed to make B550 ITX boards without having to do this.
Yes it might have been suggested as a possible fix, however, back to my point regardless of their advise they could easily on an RMA just decline it and say you over tightened the screws and caused damage, you could dispute this then they could come back with well its a modification so jog on.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
No, I have read the entire thread and whilst inconvenient, it is you who's wrong. On a cooler as light as that low profile Noctua the backplate is not necessary. It exerts no force on the motherboard. So whilst not ideal, removing the backplate as a fix is perfectly fine, especially as NOCTUA have determined using spacers on thr cooler acceptable.

Are you questioning Noctua?

And then you start bleating on about MSI taking responsibility if something goes wrong when this actually has nothing to do with them? If anything, Noctua should share responsibility if their fix of removing the backplate causes a problem. And insinuating MSI don't know what they're doing because "other manufacturers managed" to not put components on the rear of the board?

Are you questioning MSI?

If you think I'm being rude then stop throwing self-entitled temper tantrums because you encountered a compatibility issues that happens ALL THE TIME in DIY computer building. I won't have to call you out on it then.

If the cooler is light and wont cause any damage then MSI can easily say that and honour any warranty claims IF it turns out not to be the case.
Rudeness and ignorance may be normal in your DIY pc building world, it is not in mine or anyone else's with a brain!

Last edited:

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
Yes it might have been suggested as a possible fix, however, back to my point regardless of their advise they could easily on an RMA just decline it and say you over tightened the screws and caused damage, you could dispute this then they could come back with well its a modification so jog on.

It's pretty much impossible to over-tighten screws to that degree, and if somone did there would be evidence and ofcourse the RMA would be refused.
So learn some manners and be polite or others will respond in kind.

Soldato
If the cooler is light and wont cause any damage then MSI can easily say that and honour any warranty claims IF it turns out not to be the case.
You are totally and completely missing the simple point that this is not MSI's responsibility. They have clearly listed compatible coolers, the Noctua is not on the list, therefore they have zero responsibility. In fact I'm very surprised they even suggested the washers, it would be entirely their right to say "it's not on the list, sorry" and leave it.

Why is this so hard for you to undersrtand?

You can stamp your feet all you want, but nothing will change. Being entitled and accusing others of being rude will get you no where.

I'm done with this, use the Noctua or don't.

Associate
Hi Rup,

As other forum members stated, NH-L9a is a very lightweight cooler (465g with fan) and it will not stress the PCB without backplate support. Besides, this solution is not something we came up with, we are simply providing parts (in this case, washers) for an alternative mounting method, which is also developed by Noctua.

Also as you stated, it is impossible to overtighten the cooler with the supplied screws because if you look closer to the screws, you will see that only the tips are threaded, which makes them impossible to tighten after a certain point unless a different screw with the same thread size is used.

We cannot simply say we will honour the warranty if the PCB is damaged or bent because it can leave an open door for potential misuse and abuse. A user can use different washers and screws which could lead to motherboard damage yet, he/she can claim that damaged caused by this mounting method.

We are confident that this mounting method will not harm the motherboard based on two facts: weight of the cooler and half threaded screws. Still, if someone can prove this mounting method can damage the board, we are more than happy to honour that warranty claim.

Associate
Hi Rup,

As other forum members stated, NH-L9a is a very lightweight cooler (465g with fan) and it will not stress the PCB without backplate support. Besides, this solution is not something we came up with, we are simply providing parts (in this case, washers) for an alternative mounting method, which is also developed by Noctua.

Also as you stated, it is impossible to overtighten the cooler with the supplied screws because if you look closer to the screws, you will see that only the tips are threaded, which makes them impossible to tighten after a certain point unless a different screw with the same thread size is used.

We cannot simply say we will honour the warranty if the PCB is damaged or bent because it can leave an open door for potential misuse and abuse. A user can use different washers and screws which could lead to motherboard damage yet, he/she can claim that damaged caused by this mounting method.

We are confident that this mounting method will not harm the motherboard based on two facts: weight of the cooler and half threaded screws. Still, if someone can prove this mounting method can damage the board, we are more than happy to honour that warranty claim.

Stop replying ;) your supposed to be on annual leave Haha xD

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
Hi Rup,

Thanks MSI for your sensible and helpful reply. Happy with that.

Rup

Rup

Associate
OP
You are totally and completely missing the simple point that this is not MSI's responsibility. They have clearly listed compatible coolers, the Noctua is not on the list, therefore they have zero responsibility. In fact I'm very surprised they even suggested the washers, it would be entirely their right to say "it's not on the list, sorry" and leave it.

Why is this so hard for you to undersrtand?

You can stamp your feet all you want, but nothing will change. Being entitled and accusing others of being rude will get you no where.

I'm done with this, use the Noctua or don't.

I'm not gonna waste any more time on your rudeness and total inability to grasp simple facts!
MSI have given me a very helpful & fair reply which I'm happy with.
All of which was achieved without your nonsense. So stay out of conversations that dont concern you.

Associate
i don't favor the solution of using washers to solve the problem, as using washer without backplate mounting definitely reduce the strength of mobo, and mobo has higher chance of breaking.
The proper way is to design a compatible backplate mounting for noctua L9A-AM4 and MSI B550I ITX combo. maybe the cost of designing a new backplate is too high.... oh well

for now i am using the original backplate provided by MSI and cut the screw provided in the noctua l9a package into half and screw the fan together with the orignal backplate....
gNm4hqi3gKHZ

Back
Top Bottom