Split Air con

Associate
Upon a bit of further checking the energy grant may only cover heat pumps connected to the central heating system.

It's possible this is covered but the more I think about it, the more I think this may also not be the case.

Good news is that we've possibly more or less had the heat wave for this year now, so you've got time to get that figured out.

Does seem counter intuitive to get AC under a green grant, will make some enquiries next month, cheers

Associate
OP
Mine is always set to 16c when it's on, course it never gets near that but it ensures the unit doesn't throttle down.
Remember mine is on the landing so I have to set it very low to take the edge of the bedrooms.

Room temp above 20c is too warm for me, I'm stupidly sensitive to heat.
Unit @ 16c = landing @ 21c, bedrooms at 23c but feels cooler..
In retrospect the landing was a mistake, I should have picked a bedroom and put it in there, but the condensate pump noise was an issue.

I work in a greenhouse so you imagine this week has not been my happiest :) to say the very very least.
Coming home and hugging this bad boy has been the only thing that's got me through the day.

Soldato
In retrospect the landing was a mistake, I should have picked a bedroom and put it in there, but the condensate pump noise was an issue.

Cold air sinks, so if you put it on a landing the bulk of the cooling capacity is going down the stairs, so not ideal. I've noticed this if I open my bedroom door after the AC has been on, within a few minutes the hallway downstairs is appreciably colder.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What is the deal with these fairly cheap pre gassed split units? Look very easy to setup. Aside from warranty issues if you DIY, any other issues?
Do it you’ll save a packet. No issues with mine installed it November 2018 and no issues with the 2 units installed in work which were done a year before that. It’s possible that we were lucky I guess but if I get a serious problem down the line I’ll just buy a new one.

Permabanned
Why are you not allowed to DIY them. I thought that was the point of the prefilled ones.
No it’s a warranty thing a bit of a con really. They are very simple to install they come pre-gassed so all you do is connect some pipes together and tighten up the joints bleed the air out etc.

I guess they have to take into account that people have different levels of ability when it comes to diy. Some can’t even change a plug or hang a shelf, so fitting a split unit will no doubt be out of their range of skills. Shame really but that’s the nature of the game.

Buy diy fit it yourself for about half the cost but you take that risk if you have issues. Pay at least double for a little bit of piece of mind.

Soldato
Do all the pipes have to run down as I don't see that being possible. For both indoor units id want to go up through the ceiling and along under the suspended floor and loft then through the side of the house and down to the outside unit.

Soldato
Do all the pipes have to run down as I don't see that being possible. For both indoor units id want to go up through the ceiling and along under the suspended floor and loft then through the side of the house and down to the outside unit.

I think for a complicated install you will need it done professionally, I just want it in my living room it will be a straightbdrop down from the internal to external units.... seems like it is basically just drill holes and connect pipes... save ££££

Permabanned
No but the condensate pipe does unless you use a pump.

Bear in mind the gas pipes are made of copper so requires gently bending into shape. You can’t just draw them though with a drawstring.

Permabanned
I think for a complicated install you will need it done professionally, I just want it in my living room it will be a straightbdrop down from the internal to external units.... seems like it is basically just drill holes and connect pipes... save ££££
That’s it.

Here’s the manual I used it’ll give you an idea of what’s required. Edit they have changed it now it used to be much more in depth.

https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/easyfit-installation

Soldato
Soldato
Little bit of an update on the quoting from me...

I've had a few quotes (6 in total, couple online with site visits to come). Parents have decided that they must be black units, so from what we can see Fujitsu units are out the window.
Mitsubishi have two full black options - MZS-EF and MZS-LN. Been quoted MZS-EF £3100+VAT for a chap that supplies 3 year warranty including electric runs, and £3150ex VAT for a 5 year warranty excluding the power. The rest I am waiting for values from. I am guessing that the power run from my normal sparky will cost around £300 (1day labour + £100 material)

MZS-LN - only quote I have had for this is 3374 exVAT with the 5 year warranty. The units look quite nice on these and have some weird + fancy features including an occupancy sensor and body temperature measurement :eek:
For the small price increase, probably worth getting the LN as they use the new R32 refrigerant as well(?)

Above quotes are all for 2x 5KW cooling/6KW heating units

Will share further info as it rolls in...

RJC

RJC

Don
@ShivP majority use R32 refrigerant know, only the older models use R410a so be worth checking your getting a newer revision unit.

@200sols That is in theory for pre-charged piped runs but if the unit needs the pipe work made then you will need a flaring tool kit, OFN to pressure test and Vac pump to remove moisture and non condensibles.

Back
Top Bottom