Password managers

Soldato
Since 1997 up until recently, i've been able to remember and maintain a wide variety of passwords without any need for a manager online.

Now, not sure if it's older age (only 41 but still) or just the general increase of sites i'm using with passwords, memorable words, etc but i'm losing track a little bit and don't want to resort to generic passwords with slight variations.

Need a manager that will work across PC, tablet and phone...both android.

I did try lastpass about 2 years ago but there was considerable lag on PC so got rid of it after a few days, might have just been specific to my system though.

I'm not averse to paying for a decent manager either...speed is totally key for me, needs to be as seemless as possible.

Recommendations please :)

Associate
I still use keepass (old version), but also need something that allows me to sync to phone and when away from home etc.
How secure are these cloud ? password managers, and the browser add ons etc.

Soldato
OP
I'll reinstall lastpass later and see if there is any improvement on my issues, happened to do a window refresh a few weeks back so might have better results.

I still use keepass (old version), but also need something that allows me to sync to phone and when away from home etc.

I'd say as secure as your master password.

Associate

Computerphile did a good idea on how Lastpass and 1Password encrypt your vault (the explaination starts @6:25)

I use Lastpass on pc, iPhone and iPad, no speed issues at all.

(Don't use correcthorsebatterystaple as your master password lol)

Associate
It's fine but super expensive. I left because $39.99+VAT per year was just too much.

There's always a discount code knocking about for it, usually 50% off, bringing it down to $19.99.

You can stack your subscriptions too, so when it's on offer again, I add another year on top.

My subscription at the moment expires Jan 2022

Soldato
I use Lastpass for my personal stuff. My company had a corporate subscription to Lastpass but have recently migrated us all to 1Password - citing Lastpass not having kept up with modern security practices, etc. I work for an IT Security Vendor so our CISO is kinda hot on these things.

Associate
I'll reinstall lastpass later and see if there is any improvement on my issues, happened to do a window refresh a few weeks back so might have better results.

I'd say as secure as your master password.

Thanks

Computerphile did a good idea on how Lastpass and 1Password encrypt your vault (the explaination starts @6:25)

I use Lastpass on pc, iPhone and iPad, no speed issues at all.

(Don't use correcthorsebatterystaple as your master password lol)

lol - no I wont - thanks for the video link

I use Lastpass for my personal stuff. My company had a corporate subscription to Lastpass but have recently migrated us all to 1Password - citing Lastpass not having kept up with modern security practices, etc. I work for an IT Security Vendor so our CISO is kinda hot on these things.

So do you have any plans to move to 1password too based on your companies findings, or will you stick with lastpass ?

Soldato
There's always a discount code knocking about for it, usually 50% off, bringing it down to $19.99.

You can stack your subscriptions too, so when it's on offer again, I add another year on top.

My subscription at the moment expires Jan 2022

oh that’s pretty good then.

Soldato
KeePass for me. Don't rely on a "cloud" thing. You have no idea if someone on the other end is able to decrypt it or not.

Soldato
I just used Firefox's built-in password manager with a master password, but I don't sync my settings etc with a Firefox account.

Suits me into the ground as it does what I want.

Back
Top Bottom