**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
OxygenOS 11 preview hands-on on the 8 Pro: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...plus-oxygenos-android-11-developer-preview-3/

A lot of the UI reminds me of OneUI, and I'm not really a fan of it. Understandably it's to make one hand use easier but I don't like how the big title and then a large blank space looks. A lot of people on the OP forums and Reddit aren't happy either so hopefully OP will take in that feedback and tweak it. But it looks like OxygenOS will sadly move away from the stock look.

On the other hand, AOD is looking good and they're even allowing you to customise it.

Soldato
OxygenOS 11 preview hands-on on the 8 Pro: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...plus-oxygenos-android-11-developer-preview-3/

A lot of the UI reminds me of OneUI, and I'm not really a fan of it. Understandably it's to make one hand use easier but I don't like how the big title and then a large blank space looks. A lot of people on the OP forums and Reddit aren't happy either so hopefully OP will take in that feedback and tweak it. But it looks like OxygenOS will sadly move away from the stock look.

On the other hand, AOD is looking good and they're even allowing you to customise it.
I can't believe what I'm seeing. Oneplus have lost the plot.

I'd rather stay on the current build than have that sucky Samsung looking UI, even if I miss out on security updates.

Soldato
I've been running DP3 for a couple of days. It's actually pretty good, and the UI is fine. It's not like Samsung. It's stock, just made to look a bit nicer. Let's be honest, the pixels aren't the nicest looking.
It's still free (ish) from bloat. That said, it is starting to go the wrong way:

netflix
facebook
facebook messenger
instagram
oneplus community
oneplus cardplus thingy (where you store bank cards) <- use google pay?
oneplus dialer, contacts, messages, notes, gallery, calculator (just use googles ffs)
shelf and zenmode I don't really care for
alexa integration? not sure about that, maybe should be left for the customer

Still has your typical UI bugs which have been present for a few years now (feedback sent again!). My app will be updated in the coming days, links on the OP forums.

Regarding android 11. Other than a redesigned power menu (which is great for home control) I really couldn't tell any difference between 11 and 10.

I've not notced any difference in battery life using AOD, so why OP didn't roll this out years ago is beyond me. There is a warning about significant drain when you first switch it on.....there isn't?

Soldato
I've been running DP3 for a couple of days. It's actually pretty good, and the UI is fine. It's not like Samsung. It's stock, just made to look a bit nicer. Let's be honest, the pixels aren't the nicest looking.
It's still free (ish) from bloat. That said, it is starting to go the wrong way:

The UI looks lame tbh. All the big fonts and empty space and one handed UI elements. Looks tacky like MS Windows tiles. Stock android looks smart and clean. Oxygen adeed a little flair. No they've gone and slapped a load of tackyness on top, Samsung style.

And apps are no bother as long as they can be uninstalled or disabled.

Soldato
I had a look at more hands on and I'm just not a fan of the larger fonts and everything being focused on the lower part of the screen. I have OneUI on my S5e as well as my mum's A40, and I don't really like how it's laid out, it feels like wasted space. Granted OxygenOS has been straying a little away from the stock look, but it still felt like it meshed properly with what was on the Pixels.

I've seen people saying just flash a custom ROM, but these days a lot of people use apps that relies on SafetyNet and DRM which you'll lose from doing that.

Soldato
Granted OxygenOS has been straying a little away from the stock look, but it still felt like it meshed properly with what was on the Pixels.

"Stock look" doesn't sell phones. It seems to me that OnePlus are following in Samsung's direction by adding bloat and their own customisation, presumably on the basis that Samsung sell a bucket load of phones so they must be doing something right.

I haven't checked out the new version of OxygenOS, but one-handed UI elements sound like a positive thing to me, especially when the phone is three feet tall and nobody has a thumb long enough to reach the top-left corner.

Man of Honour
I'll reserve judgement until I've actually used it, I was happy to hear there was a bit more focus on one handed use as there are times where it's a bit of a pain reaching all over the screen but then I do also like the clean "stock" look.

Soldato
Well I did say I wouldn't mess with the icons, but I ended up doing a little redesign. Unsure which gallery to pick, I'm thinking blue and yellow.

old icons

NZ9NVZ3.jpg

new icons

vB0MXGt.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Heads up

8pro 128gb is under 700 from amazon direct

Current model OP phones aren’t usually significantly discounted, but here’s a decent amount off the RRP. Maybe OP are discovering that a flagship-priced slab of a phone competes more equally with all the other high priced Android whoppers out there.

Soldato
With the year the world is having, lot of flagship sales are probably struggling, Samsung also been having some deeper discounts that usual on the S20 range.

Soldato
With the year the world is having, lot of flagship sales are probably struggling

Which only makes the OP decision to jump so enthusiastically on the price escalator seem even more bizarre. Of course they are far from alone in doing this. It seems like every marketing team for every major manufacturer thinks that a global pandemic is a swell time to significantly jack up asking prices.

Back
Top Bottom