What's your Views on this new roundabout

Caporegime
What baffles me is why have they essentially created a roundabout for bicycles. They've tried to make them into an extension of the car on the road rather than their own entity.

Then there are weird things like on the right side why is there a massive gap between the pedestrian cross and the cycle crossing. This doesn't occur on the other 3.

YjLm4q8.jpg

Why does the cycle path squiggle as it's approaching the roundabout like this. Just let it go straight. Have the pedestrian and bicycle crossing right next to each other, pedestrians look out for both bicycles and cars when crossing.

SBjmlpH.jpg

Soldato
Then there are weird things like on the right side why is there a massive gap between the pedestrian cross and the cycle crossing. This doesn't occur on the other 3.
well spotted

the motorist only has to give way to cyclist on that exit ; . there are no doubled dashes or 'triangle' on the others so motorist has right of way
... so its worse than that - he's dead Jim - madness

i've not looked for a street level view view but presumably there are beletia beacons on the zebras too, which is a sure indication that motorist must give way.

Soldato
£2.4 million - £2.4 MILLION - £2.4 MILLION - £2.4 MILLION!!!!!!!!

This is amazing and horrifying at the same time, that some nimby council members decided it was a brilliant idea to waste £2.4 Million of its limited budget on this! Looking at the image a circular footbridge would have been a far cheap and safer way to keep cyclists and cars apart.

Here's a huge example of what I mean, obviously the Cambridge one would be far smaller and therefore cheaper too.

776d01c5427d67d5fe73ca49a454d2a8.jpg

Soldato
See my post earlier in the thread. It was meant to be £800k. Hard to see how it would have been signed off if they went in with an estimate of £2.4m, but the council do like throwing money at pointless projects so maybe they still would have.

Soldato
£2.4 million - £2.4 MILLION - £2.4 MILLION - £2.4 MILLION!!!!!!!!

This is amazing and horrifying at the same time, that some nimby council members decided it was a brilliant idea to waste £2.4 Million of its limited budget on this! Looking at the image a circular footbridge would have been a far cheap and safer way to keep cyclists and cars apart.

Here's a huge example of what I mean, obviously the Cambridge one would be far smaller and therefore cheaper too.

776d01c5427d67d5fe73ca49a454d2a8.jpg
They're replacing a footbridge on the roundabout at the bottom of the M271, nowhere near the extent of what you've pictured and the project cost is listed as £12-14 million :p

http://assets.highwaysengland.co.uk...71+Redbridge+roundabout/Scheme+design+map.pdf

Soldato
Tesla will have some fun trying to do auto-drive/pilot for these,nl, style of roundabouts ... pretty impossible I'd say, doubt it was considered.
tracking multiple targets converging at different angles on the crossing points,

Tesla will have some fun trying to do auto-drive/pilot for these,nl, style of roundabouts ... pretty impossible I'd say, doubt it was considered.
tracking multiple targets converging at different angles on the crossing points,

so tesla wont operate in NL then?

But they do have stores there so they probably do cope

From my experience in the NL people approach and deal with roundabouts far less aggressively than in the UK

Soldato
That actually looks worse than this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...ebdbae9841527d26!8m2!3d51.4077888!4d-1.320738

Which I've always thought is just an accident waiting to happen...

Multi-lane cycle paths that appear out of nowhere a couple of metres before the roundabout, crossing each other and crossing cars' exits? What could possibly go wrong...

That looks perfectly fine to me as the cyclist makes the call whether it is safe to join the roundabout, essentially following normal roundabout rules.

Caporegime
This is actually a very good design, with two problems. For context, I grew up in Holland and learned to drive there. This is how all their roundabouts are laid out, so we were taught from our first driving lesson how to use them correctly. That doesn't apply here in England as there are a billion different designs.

The other problem is that it's overcomplicated. It looks like someone got a bit carried away with the options list and just went "all of it, I want all of it. The difference colours, every road marking, gaps between every lane, the lot. Just do all of it".

Here's a photo of a couple of Dutch roundabouts:

lEWmLjF.png

Same layout, same colours, same markings, same priority. Works a treat. Everyone knows where they stand in terms of right-of-way, everyone knows the rules, where to look when approaching / leaving, it's just well organized.

If we had a consistent design across all our roundabouts we'd be able to train drivers accordingly but it's tough given how many different layouts we have.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
so tesla wont operate in NL then?

But they do have stores there so they probably do cope

From my experience in the NL people approach and deal with roundabouts far less aggressively than in the UK
NL was the first place I sat in one, all the taxis at the airport were Teslas. When did they introduce the auto drive feature, I wonder how effective it is over there?

Caporegime
On the real Dutch ones the crossing are much further back, so cars are off the roundabout and have room to stop. Also the Dutch roads are nowhere near as busy as ours. Cambridge traffic is almost as bad as London now.

With this design people will backed up on to the roundabout. So a big risk of being rear-ended, probably in to cyclists...

ld6JUS6.png

NL was the first place I sat in one, all the taxis at the airport were Teslas. When did they introduce the auto drive feature, I wonder how effective it is over there?

I'm not that much of an expert to be honest, i know in some form for years but i believe even today if your using it you must remain "in control"

Im not sure I would be using it where there are cyclists and pedestrians

Soldato
That looks perfectly fine to me as the cyclist makes the call whether it is safe to join the roundabout, essentially following normal roundabout rules.

Who has right of way when a car wants to turn left and a cyclist wants to go straight on/right?

Being sensible, the cyclist should move to the right hand lane, but the road markings suggest they should stick to the left in the cycle lane

Soldato
Who has right of way when a car wants to turn left and a cyclist wants to go straight on/right?

Being sensible, the cyclist should move to the right hand lane, but the road markings suggest they should stick to the left in the cycle lane

Car falls behind cyclist. But I see your point that it doesn't work if there are a lot of cyclists as the car becomes trapped on the roundabout. I still prefer it when they don't do anything special for bikes and just ensure the road isn't explicitly dangerous for cycling (underpasses or roundabouts with average speeds above 20mph.)

Back
Top Bottom